Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:26AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 284
Total: 287

BWS, Health beauty, Frozen. Moved to days

Started by Vinny1985, 26-04-21, 03:52AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatajoke2019

I don't know but it's clearly not from people who've worked on the shop floor, even during the 'quiet' weeks it's based on.

I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised when told the Heat Map doesn't include time for attending Service Calls.

cosmosmallpiece

Hi anything to add to about the trail ? Has anyone been talked to about it and how it will effect us ? Cheers

Jasperjakes

hi yes i would love to know too. This thread  seems to have very little insight into the trial so makes me wonder how many stores trialled it in the first place. As i said  in a previous post I've no idea how long they take to look at the results of a trial and decide to act on the outcome or not. my managers didnt know anything about this trial but none of us were that surprised as there was always a rumour that this might happen stemming from the night shifts going a couple of years back.

corkyboy

I am Nightshift bws and this weekend I was told the three departments are moving to day fulfillment by week 27 obviously asked if I was being made redundant and told no redundancy will happen I would be kept on nights. Asked if I could go to days with my 22.5. hour contract They were surprised as our store is very short on nights. They want to keep me on nights but I wish to pack out booze and days would suit me nicely. Manager came back to me the next night and informed me hours are protected if I go to dayshift and he believes that this would be happening fairly fast in our store. I have also spoke with colleagues in a store that was running a trail which has worked and they have just kept the new system going. This is all to save the cost of increasing Nightshift premium. Now if anyone has a Nightshift that has plenty of staff they cannot move you to days it is all voluntary. I hope to have more info in the next few weeks I have my doubts they will let me move to day work as we have been so short on nights wish me luck.

Jasperjakes

Thanks for the update. No news from my store at the moment, we weren't  part of the trial.
There would be too many people on nights in our store if they send the three departments on to days. we wouldn't have work to keep all of us going.
Its very hard to tell if this is going to happen across most stores or not. Seems very little info about it.
Personally i think it would be easy in our super store to fill these departments during day and would help to stop theft by having staff in the isles as a deterrent.
So if you night fillers are not allowed to go do it on days are they just expecting day staff to fill the new day departments then? if so how do they have the avaliable staff already on days.?
Good luck to you i hope you get to go and fill on days. keep us updated. thanks.

corkyboy

It's happening, I was in a meeting with daytime manager that is over BWS he said it is company wide, and will be going live by end of August just before pay rise.  I have put in my available hours which is mornings only and he said that is what he wants so should get word this weekend all being well.   I work in an extra store that does around 800k a week.

kaled78

funny that,because we are a superstore taking around 900k,and our store manager said no it's not happening in this store?

Fedupofbeingscrewed

is this move a nights to days or nights to twighlight I've seen comments mention both ,What hours are currently being trialed or would it be store dependent ?

cosmosmallpiece

My store Manager says its not happening in his store either watch this space 

spike_pkh

No store manager can say with 100% confidence "its not happening in this store". Often store managers are kept in the dark about changes until just before they are announced as much as the rest of us are

forrestgimp

On top of that they wont be telling people anything until they need to know it could cost them their job.

londoner83

Our store had a trial to man bws during the day to see the effect on shrink. Losses dropped massively so can well believe in many stores it would make strong economic sense to move replenishment on BWS from nights to days to:-
1) reduce shrink.
2) reduce payroll costs by not paying night premium.
3) increase headcount in store on days so more people to serve customers

newguy20

Quote from: londoner83 on 25-07-21, 10:17AM
Our store had a trial to man bws during the day to see the effect on shrink. Losses dropped massively so can well believe in many stores it would make strong economic sense to move replenishment on BWS from nights to days to:-
1) reduce shrink.
2) reduce payroll costs by not paying night premium.
3) increase headcount in store on days so more people to serve customers

Similar thing here - rather than 3 on BWS nights there are now 2, which means during the day they can cover the whole day with a dedicated member of staff.

whatajoke2019

To be honest it sounds like something we could do with in our store (likely quite a few stores).

When the one way system was in place losses on BWS dropped dramatically but now it's through the roof again.

Mind you it doesn't help when they ask our BWS colleague to replenish the department in the day time but they then decide to yank them onto a checkout for hours on end.

However, with what they've got planned for our store, I can't imagine that'll be the case for much longer, there'll be hardly any tills left to jump on when a service call goes out!

lordadmiral

Looks like every store experience different "results".
When we had two guys filling wine n spirits during day time, they always failed. We had to pick up remaining delivery at night but for cost of leaving something elese in return.
Sprits backstock was in constant mess. Tons of empty boxes as people just went there to grab odd bottle or two.
Wine backstock ridiculously high and at some point we had bunch of cages unworked for about two months. I know because i left them in the corner lf warehouse and been asked to work them when people quit and wine moved again to nights.
Over 30 cages of wine i cut by half in a week with normal deliverys. Sale gone up.
Our shrink was low but sale even lower. Cost of filling single aisle was ridiculous.
SM  was whining that aisle is never filled, gaps so huge you could park a car :D. But he was the one who insisted on day time filling.
We had new  cabinets installed this month, behind checkouts, with plan to keep high value alcohol for customers. It should save time on running to the back to find it in the lock-up. Don't know if its life yet as i am off for a while.
Do all stores make huge sale on BWS?higher than any other department in the store.

NightAndDay

Depends on location and format, in my old store half of all backstock was BWS, Friday and Saturdays 45-50% of our total sales for the day came from alcohol.

Yet, in my store before that one (an Express PFS) BWS sales were low, (and as such only 15% of total backstock was BWS.) (In the first store mentioned, we had 12 cages of BWS, in the 2nd, only 3).

newguy20

BWS big seller here, but big shrink. There are 2 fire escapes at either end of the department which does not help! Colleagues in BWS are specifically NOT to be pulled on to a checkout (in fact only one of them is till trained anyway).

We got the cabinets a while ago but (AS EVER) it was badly implemented. They are shallow low ones, down at floor level across the front of the main bank, so the checkout team leader has to go ferreting around on the floor around customers and baskets trying to find the right one and the whole thing is pretty stupid. You could easily have had two or three full size cupboards at the front end which had the high value spirits in, plenty of space for them.

whatajoke2019

We used to have some old Direct cabinets on our front end but it got to the point some people were filling them on a daily basis and others didn't bother.

Change of SM and he got rid. And one of the top hits used to be sat in said cupboard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk