Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 06:29AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,128
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 413
Total: 415

Several staff C19 positive (no action)

Started by WinterSilver, 11-01-21, 09:36AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trumpton

Quote from: sunshineman on 11-01-21, 01:56PM
Quote from: WinterSilver on 11-01-21, 09:36AM
In my store 8+ staff where tested positive on checkouts and the management is keeping quiet about it no action was taken so far, nothing at all, can I refuse go checkouts? What should I do about it, I’m permanent staff...me and couple colleagues are concerned about this matter
people should name their stores on here so we can stay safe as managers are trying to keep it quiet

Tesco Irvine 2742 ( hope someone screenshots that & shows them )  :D

Proud_Father

I have a question regarding covid leave. And you have to bare with me as I was an usdaw rep years ago and the rules may have changed a bit, but...

Member of staff tests positive and goes off for 10 days isolation. After 10 days, attempts to return to work but the after affects are too severe and wasn't able to work much past lunchtime on the second day, so goes back on sick leave.

Now in my old usdaw days years ago this would easily be considered a single absence and not two sperate occasions for obvious reasons. But this is the scenario we're in right now.

The manager never coded it as COVID so it went as standard absences, unpaid, and the bank Holiday shift still went through as holiday. And now he's saying that the second absence will start a new sickness with 3 unpaid days even though a doctors sick note runs from the start of the positive test for 4 weeks.

What do you think? I really wish I could walk in and represent them myself, but I haven't been a rep for 6 years.

dotnochance

Tell the member of staff to grievance it, al manager not following company rules. It should have been coded as Covid.

Welshie

First absence definitely should have been coded as covid and they should not have lost 3 days BUT why did they put a sick line in ? It isn't needed with initial covid isolation and I would say this is where the problem started .
Also should not then have been allowed back with out an updated "fit to return " sick line BUT as they did return even if it was only an hour then yes it is a new absence and they loose 3 days .

There are so many breaches of Tesco policy in this situation that they could take their pick on how to fight it but as they initially put sick line in , I dont think they'll get the 3 days back .

Nomad

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/tesco/tesco-plans-to-roll-out-mass-covid-testing-for-in-store-workers/653120.article

QuoteTesco is planning to roll out mass testing for supermarket workers, as it emerged staff across the entire supply chain will have to be tested for Covid “every few days” in the next phase of the war on the virus.

The UK’s biggest supermarket said it was considering “all options” for testing staff, including mass testing at supermarkets but also the possibility of staff carrying out regular tests at home.

"the possibility of staff carrying out regular tests at home", thoughts  :question:

Save interruptions at work possibly  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

londoner83

From a track and trace point of view its probably better for the business for you to self test at home rather than instore. If the test shows positive instore you will likely have been in contact with (1) whoever is giving out the tests and (2) duty manager who you would have to report the positive result to....who may then need to self isolate.

Nomad

When/if you get a positive test result likelihood is that you will, prior to the test, have been in contact with a number of people in the work, home and/or travel environment whether test is completed at home or at work.   
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

StinkyPoo

They'll need to clean the potential testing area first! My store is filthy, the toilets and canteen are minging.

grim up north

Quote from: Nomad on 13-02-21, 11:16AM
https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/tesco/tesco-plans-to-roll-out-mass-covid-testing-for-in-store-workers/653120.article

QuoteTesco is planning to roll out mass testing for supermarket workers, as it emerged staff across the entire supply chain will have to be tested for Covid “every few days” in the next phase of the war on the virus.

The UK’s biggest supermarket said it was considering “all options” for testing staff, including mass testing at supermarkets but also the possibility of staff carrying out regular tests at home.

"the possibility of staff carrying out regular tests at home", thoughts  :question:

Save interruptions at work possibly  8-)

I've wondered why they havent done this in distribution. Our car park could easily have mobile testing stations. My guess was they dont want to know if you have covid or not. They just want you at work

chris9997

Quote from: Welshie on 30-01-21, 11:17AM
First absence definitely should have been coded as covid and they should not have lost 3 days BUT why did they put a sick line in ? It isn't needed with initial covid isolation and I would say this is where the problem started .
Also should not then have been allowed back with out an updated "fit to return " sick line BUT
as they did return even if it was only an hour then yes it is a new absence and they loose 3 days.

There are so many breaches of Tesco policy in this situation that they could take their pick on how to fight it but as they initially put sick line in , I don't think they'll get the 3 days back .
If you have tested positive for COVID and after 10 days you are still feeling the affect of COVID you should NOT return to work, I was off with COVID and I was told I would be a danger to others up to 14 days after ( I still had /have COVID in my lungs), and when you isolate you start with an isolation note followed by sick note stating covid19.

Welshie

Regular testing is already happening in many  offices/factories etc I cant understand why it's taken so long for it to happen in retail . As numbers come down nationally, test and trace is the way way back to normality until all adults have had vaccine .

Oldyear

Because they are only interested in filling shelves and gaslighting you about how well you are looked after during all this. We have had staff threatened with disciplinary action for having to self isolate more than once (with household members being told by the app to isolate) we have also had managers threaten to not support staff if they go off, yet will happily wander around taking 0 precautions. So, on one hand, they will talk about how much they look after us and have a duty of care, yet when staff numbers dwindle they just put more pressure on an already at breaking point team or bring in agency staff that follow none of the guidelines either.     

Welshie

You're seeing it from a solely Tesco point of view . I believe that to get numbers down across the country , get cancer treatment and scheduled operations up and running again  , that regular testing of anyone that works with the public is a good thing .

londoner83

The problem is the rapid tests are unreliable. So Tesco could well introduce them and discover multiple people have to take time off after false positives,  whilst some of those who test negative will actually carry covid.

Plus you also would have the issue of what to do about colleagues who for whatever reason would refuse to take a test.

chris9997

I do find the the government have sold the retail food worker down the river, currantly there is no need for anyone to scan the nhs qr code in supermarkets because they say customers are moving around and are quick in and out, really!!
Nothing mentioned about staff who are on the premises for up to 9 hours.
If we were made to scan in then we would not get the company to decide who/ where when to isolate test and trace would do this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk