Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 02:17PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Check out Operators & Coronavirus?

Started by delightful-donuts, 12-03-20, 06:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spidercatcher

@Mazhuss, I agree %100.

Some colleagues took advantage of yesterday's early shopping offer and one told me it was the worst thing she'd done. The queue was so long at the checkouts with most standing close to others for anything up to 45 minutes until checkouts opened, and those with baskets standing inches away from the customer in front/behind, that she panicked and left her full trolley with a member of staff and almost ran to her car. It was a nice idea but badly thought out. Could HQ not have arranged with government/councils to open checkouts that bit earlier?

And have to say, I do feel for checkout operators and CSD too, Tesco isn't doing much to keep them safe when they are the very ones dealing with the most people daily.

Mathias casablancas

i know this probably sounds really stupid but it’s obvious Tesco and Usdaw are not going to protect us so we need to protect ourselves. Maybe on a Sunday just before the shop opens and there is a crazy huge queue outside , everybody just refuses to start work? It will only take one shop for this to work.

I honestly think we need to stop looking at Tesco to protect us and start protecting ourselves

darklighter

Quote from: Redshoes on 23-03-20, 09:00AM
Just seen this about wearing gloves. It says it does not help and can make matters worse. The gloves would need to be washed as often as hands and they could retain germs longer than hands do. Biggest issue is face contact, don’t touch your face with your hands with or without gloves.

https://trib.al/8OvFNVx

Agree about above comments about crowding in the shops. Brief is retain safe distance and this is needed outside so would be needed even more so in stores. I must say the nhs/colleagues in my store respected this yesterday but I have seen pictures of a lot of areas not doing this. We have been able to put up barriers in my store but we are a small store and it is working well for us. I can see that this would not work in a bigger store though.
Not sure what we can do about crowding at the tills though. Even a few people can get within the safe space, it only needs one infected person. In a much denser packed crowd it spreads to more people.
Most virus are spread before symptoms show.
If gloves and according to usdaw, masks, offer no protection, then why would medical professionals bother wearing them at all; they use them because they are disposable, they are not intended for continuous use so no need to be washing them as you do your hands.

Tesco should be supplying all it's staff with this type of ppe, hand sanitizer, masks and a pack of disposible gloves, maybe some kind of apron, no ifs or buts if they care about the mental and physical health of their staff.

Perhaps checkouts and self-service wiped down on a regular basis!

madness

Quote from: Mathias casablancas on 23-03-20, 09:52AM
i know this probably sounds really stupid but it’s obvious Tesco and Usdaw are not going to protect us so we need to protect ourselves. Maybe on a Sunday just before the shop opens and there is a crazy huge queue outside , everybody just refuses to start work? It will only take one shop for this to work.

I honestly think we need to stop looking at Tesco to protect us and start protecting ourselves

Good luck expaining that to the millions of people who have/ will lose their job that you walked out in protest just as they want in to get food.
There isn't enough ppe in the country for the nhs let alone for private companies to buy it for their staff.

darklighter

Not enough ppe, then i suggest the manufacture of that ppe goes into over-drive.

For instance, some distilleries are diversifying into producing hand sanitizers, plaudits go to Verdant Spirits, BrewDog and possibly many others.

Maybe we could get some perspex screens for checkouts and customers service desks.

Mathias casablancas

Madness I hope you are as understanding when one of your colleagues is hooked up to a ventilator and you know deep down that the company you work for took ZERO precautions other than putting extra watered down soap in the staff toilets.

darklighter

Quote from: madness on 23-03-20, 10:14AM

Good luck expaining that to the millions of people who have/ will lose their job that you walked out in protest just as they want in to get food.
There isn't enough ppe in the country for the nhs let alone for private companies to buy it for their staff.
P.S, Facebook managed to stockpile 720,000 masks which they are now, 'donating' to health professionals.

madness

fao Mathias casablancas

They can't ,you can't just double, triple factor of 10 increase production of masks, hand sanitisers, bottles for it materials to make it distribute it overnight.
there is talk of screens at checkouts.
companies run lean on distribution, drivers lorries in order to make money, there isnt 1000 trucks with 1000 drivers ready to go to distribution centres jsut sitting arround with 100,000 pickers and 50,000 pallet trucks to ramp up the movement of all the extra goods needed.

to me No job, mortgage worries, childcare worries family worries and still likely get corona

vs

extremely safe job given a payrise when they didnt need to and still likely get corona.

Shafted

Quote from: Welshie on 13-03-20, 12:48AM
Is pregnancy an at risk factor . The virus goes for your chest so people with chest/heart condition and other conditions that can affect lungs /heart like diabetes,  asthma etc are higher risk .
I understand your concern but wash your hands thoroughly before you go home .
Pregnant colleagues are considered at risk and have been sent home for the 12 weeks social distancing in our store. 

taliahad

This afternoon we were told that we have to clean the petrol pumps every half hour.  There are only two of us on shift at a time and it would take half an hour to get round all the pumps at least.  Then factor in all the interruptions and it's going to be a nightmare.  There is no way we can hit that target.  There is no cleaner to do the job, the contractor decided not to pay the last one, so he left, surprisingly and the other store cleaners are running themselves around into early graves. 

King1999

Where's the protection for staff.......nowhere that's where.

darklighter

Some private firms are providing gloves for people to use when filling their cars, one customer at a time allowed in shop, card reader set away from counter and hand gel provided for use during transactrion.  Small does it better than the bigger companies.

madness

Small are nimble and can react fast and make decisions that don't have to filter down from the top.

gomezz

Quote from: taliahad on 23-03-20, 03:26PM
This afternoon we were told that we have to clean the petrol pumps every half hour.
The petrol and diesel smears inevitably left round the pumps make it an inhospitable environment for the virus, I would have thought.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

madness

i've never seen the petrol station staff run off their feet to be honest, could be different elsewhere but every tesco ones I've used had 2 just chatting until someone bothered to pay in cash or get something from the shop

taliahad

Excellent idea about only letting one person in the kiosk at a time.  I will do my best to get this implemented.  I also agree that any virus that can survive diesel is pretty much going to take over the world.  The pumps are no worse than anything else that people touch regularly and we are cleaning all around as often as possible.  I've never seen managers run off their feet to be honest, could be different elsewhere but the ones that I've seen have just been sat around the canteen chatting, or playing stupid games at Christmas time, like "I'm an idiot manager get me out of here" whilst the PFS staff are struggling to do transfers and complete all other tasks, they never bother to come over and see how the PFS are getting on.   

Siwel123

Someone from store was drafted into petrol to do the cleaning for them today. Hot bleachy water to actually clean them, with them being done twice. Then spraylix and a wipe every half an hour,  not going to do much good if every customer doesn't wear gloves and then touches the pumps and keypads

Preacherpauly

There would be riots

Kingkong2015

There should be hand sanitizers on all checkouts offices and other places around the stores but i’d Imagine Tesco would rather sell them than use them to protect staff?

Welshie

People would steal them , they're stealing them from hospitals for goodness sake

penguin

The sad thing is people have been nicking them from hospitals for years, just a shame its taken a major virus outbreak to highlight the problem.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Mathias casablancas

Just because they might get stolen is not a reason to not provide them surely

taliahad

Are Tesco checkout operators, CSD and PFS staff getting protection screens?  I hear that some other supermarkets are providing them and I want them too. 

Mark calloway

Quote from: madness on 23-03-20, 04:56PM
i've never seen the petrol station staff run off their feet to be honest, could be different elsewhere but every tesco ones I've used had 2 just chatting until someone bothered to pay in cash or get something from the shop
absolutely correct

Morris999

Quote from: taliahad on 24-03-20, 03:32PM
Are Tesco checkout operators, CSD and PFS staff getting protection screens?  I hear that some other supermarkets are providing them and I want them too.

Screens for checkouts are starting to be delivered today, not sure about Csd or pfs.
However pfs could serve through the hatch and Csd are told to step back from customers to keep the distance.
Phone shops and I believe travel money are both shutting today until further notice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk