Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-04-24, 02:46AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,432
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 549
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 509
Total: 509

Check out Operators & Coronavirus?

Started by delightful-donuts, 12-03-20, 06:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorgeous69

In my store some of the Csd staff are refusing to sell lotto and scratch cards!! cause of the corona virus eg. handling tickets slips and scratch cards what does everyone think?

gomezz

Do not pass hand to hand?  Place on counter for customer to pick up?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lucgeo

Quote from: Gorgeous69 on 27-03-20, 09:12AM
In my store some of the Csd staff are refusing to sell lotto and scratch cards!! cause of the corona virus eg. handling tickets slips and scratch cards what does everyone think?

Bloody ridiculous! If the customer was cashing in their lotto or scratch card, then they may have a valid point as it is similar to handling cash...so are they refusing to accept cash payments? As usual some on CSD think they are somewhat elitist to the checkouts...are they refusing to cover checkouts at busy times? They're  OK to then go get their shopping and go through a checkout or self serve I gather, and expect the checkout operator to handle everything they have put on the belt  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

jester21

Why don't they wear vinyl gloves to handle them they're cheap enough to buy are disposable ones!

NightAndDay

Quote from: lucgeo on 27-03-20, 12:46PM
Quote from: Gorgeous69 on 27-03-20, 09:12AM

Bloody ridiculous! If the customer was cashing in their lotto or scratch card, then they may have a valid point as it is similar to handling cash...so are they refusing to accept cash payments? As usual some on CSD think they are somewhat elitist to the checkouts...are they refusing to cover checkouts at busy times? They're  OK to then go get their shopping and go through a checkout or self serve I gather, and expect the checkout operator to handle everything they have put on the belt  ???

Current government restrictions restrict the type of goods that can be sold from retailers (non-essential products) and to leave it to the Retailers discretion what can be sold if they're considered essential but also sell non-essential products among their essential offerings.

In this case it is fair under the current circumstances to refuse the sale and processing of things like scratchcards because of the increased risk of contracting covid by cash handling.

As for CSD elitism, if their difference in duties and circa £1 more per hour seperates them from the established Tesco peasant class then I'd hate to think what you'd class non-retail workers as 😂.

Blackcat3

There are no gloves in most places people are even wearing marigolds but there were none of them last week

lucgeo

@NightandDay

If it was a Tesco decision across the board, then all CSD's should follow suit. Would a checkout operator be allowed to refuse to process certain products in a customers shopping? Where does the line get drawn?

The sale of scratch cards differs to the processing of customer produced scratch cards, as I previously stated, it's similar to cash, although as far as I'm aware, Tesco haven't  banned cash transactions.

I am not a believer of class distinctions, and it is certainly not I that thinks a circa of £1 more per hour separates them from the rest of the shopfloor minions. I draw my conclusion from personal observations made over many years.

NightAndDay

The government states it's for the retailers to decide how to handle the sale of non-essential items (for the stores it didn't mandate to cease trading).

As far as I can see, Tesco is still evolving their Coronavirus prevention policies based on trends and feedback from the general public, with the recent installation of social distancing markers and plastic till shielding. I'd assume the granular aspects are made up as they go at a store by store basis until more concrete policies are added.

As for lottery products, the logical conclusion of its sale is either the customer doesn't win or does win, in the event of a win, the prize has to be given out as cash, now due to the highly distributed nature of cash, some rational minded people would consider it a significant risk for contracting the virus. Yes they could hold on to winning lottery artifacts until the quarantine is over, but nobody exept lottery syndicates do that.

As for the classist thing, every hourly paid role in store has to see that the difference in their wages is to keep you distracted from your high salaried pay masters, they're trying to keep all of you fighting amongst yourselves while they gradually expand on the proletariat segment of their model eventually to include what is the current bourgeoisie so it no longer exists.

lucgeo

Well done!! You managed to get some very big words in there 8-) whilst not necessarily making any valid point...Tesco policies are rarely decided on a store to store basis, apart from where an SM decides to display goods not on the merchandise plan!

Welshie

Quote from: jester21 on 27-03-20, 04:12PM
Why don't they wear vinyl gloves to handle them they're cheap enough to buy are disposable ones!

They could just steal them from the petrol station , all the customers are !!

Redshoes

Cash payments are less, chip & pin limit raised to 45.00 to help support this. That's all good but it's touching your faces that is the issue. Money has always been dirty, so will lottery slips or scratch cards but if you refrain from touching your face that is key. Germs spread through cuts on hands but so far there has been no word of the virus being spread like this and it's probably unlikely. Serving a customer cigarettes and a tin of beans is probably not so different. They have touched the beans, put them in the basket or carried them round the store. Touch contact is touch contact.

NightAndDay

Quote from: lucgeo on 27-03-20, 08:19PM
Well done!! You managed to get some very big words in there 8-) whilst not necessarily making any valid point...Tesco policies are rarely decided on a store to store basis, apart from where an SM decides to display goods not on the merchandise plan!

When I said made up as they go that's exactly what I meant, no formal published policies established, the covid policies are still evolving, for the scenarios which aren't covered by OurTesco there will be a difference between stores as unless instructed by someone more senior, the SM will have to come to the decision of what can and can't be done.

Depending on the exponential scale of this pandemic, more restrictive policies may be adopted.

Dougall

Loves the big words...makes them feel all “special”

lucgeo

Quote from: NightAndDay on 28-03-20, 11:04AM
Quote from: lucgeo on 27-03-20, 08:19PM

When I said made up as they go that's exactly what I meant, no formal published policies established, the covid policies are still evolving, for the scenarios which aren't covered by OurTesco there will be a difference between stores as unless instructed by someone more senior, the SM will have to come to the decision of what can and can't be done.

Depending on the exponential scale of this pandemic, more restrictive policies may be adopted.

I'm well aware of what you said, and contrary to your inflated egotistical belief, I understand " granular aspects" being made on a store by store basis. e.g, queue control, essentials distribution etc...However, if you honestly believe that some puppet SM is going to make such a bold decision, as to ban customers making cash payments in their store, without the official authorisation of their puppet master, is ludicrous. There would be a riot, as alienating cash paying customers, which could be a high %, especially with the low income or elderly.
Indeed, unless every supermarket chain agreed to go cashless, I doubt the puppet masters would risk the backlash, and loss of income from those being victimised.

BREAKING NEWS.....Tesco no longer wants your money...pay by card or go away.... Cash paying customers not welcome, but come back when the pandemics' over, if you haven't either died of the virus or starved to death!  :-X

Dougall

Well said Lucgeo, your one of a few myself included on here that become amused by this person for many reasons, not positive, yet they don’t grasp it though you would think due to the vocabulary that they would possess the capacity to understand that they come across as a total egotistical person devoid of a life of sorts ...but then maybe they like this sort of reaction who knows with the internet

taliahad

Cash should be banned for the greater good, just while we have this crisis going on.  It may inconvenience a few people, there's always going to be someone who has a problem with change but we must do everything that we can for the greater good. 

alf

Cash is icky, with the various germs, cocaine   :D, and other bacteria.

But in reality, in terms of corona virus, it's not going spread any easier from cash handling compared  to the handling of the products customers buy.

gomezz

I think many people would be happier to go cashless if there was the option of an anonymous cash card which can be topped up in all the usual ways (ATM etc) and used for small transactions (eg newspaper) without generating an audit trail that floods your bank statement (my personal tipping point is anything over a fiver).  But there is no gain for the banks in doing that.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

NightAndDay

Quote from: Dougall on 28-03-20, 05:49PM
Well said Lucgeo, your one of a few myself included on here that become amused by this person for many reasons, not positive, yet they don’t grasp it though you would think due to the vocabulary that they would possess the capacity to understand that they come across as a total egotistical person devoid of a life of sorts ...but then maybe they like this sort of reaction who knows with the internet

Lucgeo If you read my comment I did add "unless instructed by someone more senior" calling me egotistical was slightly uncalled for when all I added was constructive input.

Dougall all you do on these forums is flame and troll, you never answer any of the questions or contribute in a meaningful way. It's clear that all you're good for is stacking shelves, god forbid you hold any position more senior, you're the poster boy for Dignitas.

Dougall

😂 carry on boy I know nothing about you and you know nothing about me . But I do know I monitor this site but don’t profess to be anything I’m not.😂 you just don’t know who i am so carry on stabbing in the dark. I suspect that you have nothing going on in your life which will be exacerbated by your I’m guessing furlough period. I’m going to go further here and say I think nobody likes working with you and if I could profile you further you are not with anyone as I cannot see that being a situation anyone would want 😂

Spidercatcher

Quote from: Mazhuss on 23-03-20, 06:41AM
Thank you Tesco for me £16 a week bonus!

I sit on a check out, no protection.  Cannot move away from the thousands of people in our store herded in like animals so much that the store had to lock the doors to stop more coming in.  A piece of sticky tape on the floor and tannoy announcement will not stop me being infected by Coronavirus!

What is the union doing?   I have paid for over 10 years and have never used doing about it.  Government guidelines say we should be 2 metres away to stop catching and spread on disease.  Is this not breaking current employment regulations?

I believe regulations say employers must supply a safe environment for its employees, this is not!!  No matter how many times I shout air space it’s ignored.  Colleagues spat at, swore at and now we also have to police the customers shopping and take that abuse as well. 

Young girls sitting crying as they serve people.  Has anyone thought about the mental health of our colleagues?  Come on Tesco’s and our government give us some consideration , we have families as well. 

I do appreciate all the NHS are doing really, but to see them all standing on top of each other, nose to nose does not fill me with confidence that the 2 metre rule is working anywhere.

Where will Tesco’s stand legally if something happens to me and I diets a direct result of there lack of protection, is it manslaugter?

Let’s start firstly by giving colleagues mask, gloves, aprons, sanitiser for all.  If customers do not want to see me in a mask, sorry don’t queue at my till!!

They are relieve very 15 minutes to wash hands.

Managers at EVERY checkout stopping customers coming to close.  They can walk away, or. Go sit doing paperwork in an office, I can’t!

I heard lots of colleagues saying yesterday they are calling in sick with stress or isolation.  Soon there will be nobody to serve these customers at this rate.

Quote from an employee “ when I came to work for Tesco it was as a checkout operator NOT a frontline member of an army that’s in full battle!

I feel I have to comment on this post yet again, as nearly a week has passed and yet things are still pretty much the same in-store as this poster has stated. This week I've witnessed checkout operators in tears also, sitting ducks, as we all are, it's not a good look - it's heartbreaking to see. Tesco 'keeping us safe in work'? How? Where? By what measures? Placing tape on the floor which customers can't even see, let alone take any notice of.  A few A4 sized posters placed willy-nilly telling customers to stay their distance.  It's NOT GOOD ENOUGH, TESCO! 

Can we keep (as the law states, I believe) all customers and staff to be 2 mtrs apart at all times, to SAVE LIVES?  No, actually, we can't - it's not working, so do something about it please.  Forget about your bloody profits for a change and start thinking about seriously, genuinely, saving the lives of your staff who are by the way, worried sick about having to be in a building in close proximity with so many others at this terribly worrying time.  And don't even get me started with training new employees placed just a few inches away on checkouts, etc, .... how's that supposed to work with the 2m distancing rule?

Management being informed hourly/daily about such worries/dangerous and ill-advised practices yet some afraid to go against Store Manager's ruling  - no surprises there to be honest - if they survive this horrible virus themselves, well, maybe they'll find a big feather in their caps, a big flashing red, white and blue one, extolling the virtues of Tesco PLC.

10% bonus?  For this? For the worry, the stress, the tears, the fears, the anguish? For risking our very lives in the midst of the worst living nightmare imaginable which is happening right now? 

Typical Tesco

Take a bow, why don't ya.

Dougall

I even love vlad putin 😂 they are sincere. You are just so stuck up and narcissistic I bet you are one of those that tries to get others in trouble

Dougall

Come on night and day. Do you still wear a shirt and tie in your job . you mentioned a long while ago a self help guide which explained you were assaulted as a staff member in the first few hours at McDonalds.

alf

Please don't provoke him,  he'll start blithering on about corporate governance, whilst posting the irrelevant business acronyms he googled.

Dougall

Your right Alf .. but it won’t stop him he’s got nothing else to do 😂

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk