News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:02PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 281
Total: 283

Options / becoming a manager

Started by Siwel123, 06-12-19, 04:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAMCRO

I'm in my 14th year of service. If I could turn back time I would put in half the amount of effort I have and I'm certain I would be better off for it. Hard work does not mean progression - in all honesty it is hard work that holds people back. There are plenty of GAs in the company who hold departments together, who unofficially run a department on behalf of their manager. The company depends on GAs like that, which is why the progression carrot is dangled but ultimately it leads to nothing.

penguin

Quite Samcro, seen it far to often, GA or in the past TL who could easily be doing a higher role but never offered the chance to move on so the department or store does not lose them, while the useless ones the managers and especially the SM wants gone are giving glowing reviews and fast tracked into stores elsewhere.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

whatajoke2019

In complete agreement Samcro.

There's one colleague on our team who was offered the chance to progress a number of years ago now but has been messed around constantly since.

Even now they do far more than the TM for £9.30 an hour.

Have lost count the amount of times a TM/SM has gone to them to delegate 'managerial' responsibilities but is quick to have a dig and 'remind' them they are just a GA.

They've told me in the past the then SM has turned around and said that there's something stopping them progressing but that they didn't know what it was.

Erm... perhaps the fact you know full well they'll do pretty much any job you'll ask them. Heaven forbid the TM is the one who is challenged and asked to carry out said task.

And that's before said SM tried to make out their mental health wasn't 'up to it'-the colleague in question actually suffering mentally because they felt unable to speak up about treated like a doormat because SM/TM would have turned around and told them they are being mardy/petty/too quiet  ???.

Batmanjo

Quote from: SAMCRO on 18-05-21, 06:09PM
I'm in my 14th year of service. If I could turn back time I would put in half the amount of effort I have and I'm certain I would be better off for it. Hard work does not mean progression - in all honesty it is hard work that holds people back. There are plenty of GAs in the company who hold departments together, who unofficially run a department on behalf of their manager. The company depends on GAs like that, which is why the progression carrot is dangled but ultimately it leads to nothing.

If you had put in half the effort in your 14 years you would have been at least a store manager by now ;D as I have said before most of the managers are so mixed up in trying to cause problems with let's talk c**p and other nonentities and can barely tie their shoelaces, not saying all as there are some good managers but I would love to see some of these impoverish neanderthals try and run their own business.

whatajoke2019

Batmanjo... I'd rather buy Third Class tickets for the Titanic than see some of the TMs in my store actually 'run' the store/their own business  :D

lackofinterest

a lot of them couldn't run a f***ing bath!!!

whatajoke2019

:D :D :D.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Nomad

[admin]Topic is, Options / becoming a manager.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Ibanker2

I was told many years ago that you don't give the keys to the sweet shop to a kid. Too many options candidates are lacking experience in life never mind management. They also don't realise that getting signed off is the beginning of the journey not the end point. Typically people on options are grafters , but hard work will only get you so far. Murphy's Law is true and you can see it in action every day in store they can work 10 cages but can't build a rota or plan holidays or do reviews etc etc.

horatiocain

It's been my experience that Tesco is loaded with lazy idiots in their management teams.
And they also tend only to promote those who fit it.
Which means the problem only grows bigger and bigger.

It's just an ever growing pile of c**p.

The few good managers flee the company because they're tired of the c**p too.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Ibanker2 on 21-05-21, 12:19PM
I was told many years ago that you don't give the keys to the sweet shop to a kid. Too many options candidates are lacking experience in life never mind management. They also don't realise that getting signed off is the beginning of the journey not the end point. Typically people on options are grafters , but hard work will only get you so far. Murphy's Law is true and you can see it in action every day in store they can work 10 cages but can't build a rota or plan holidays or do reviews etc etc.

80% of the time options is exploitation, sure a few on options are built like brick s*** houses and can slaughter delivery, but don't have the IQ or organisation to get signed off, others like me wouldn't have got signed off if I didn't grievance, plenty of step ups outperforming TMs and above.

When I transferred store they replaced me with a fully fledged SL and an additional CA, combined hourly wage now would be more than £20 an hour (as I was on nights). Outside of the graduate scheme, the options system is flawed as there are no checks and balances on the conduct of managers overseeing the development of options candidates.

The managers who have the candidates best interests at heart and using options the way it's intended are in the minority, most are self serving machiavellian idiots using the carrot on a stick aspect to get blue ratings on costs and other big 6 measures.

To put it into perspective, I've been told I'm not worth more than 26k a year when I'm now on a 6 figure salary (of course not in Tesco, but still a leadership role).

Go figure

tescopleb

"People on options are grafters" seriously! How long have you worked for the company for? The typical options candidate is a clueless, brown noser, chosen for their ability to go how high when asked to jump by the store manager on the basis it's good for their development.
The ones with any talent have to do it the hard way but these are the ones who never get found out.

Redshoes

Many people on options see progression as staying in same job but on more money. Being able to work a cage quickly does not make a good manger but being a manager requires hands on.

lackofinterest

in my opinion old school managers are much better than the youngsters they make managers nowadays

Totot

I have never met a manager with fully managerial skill, best just got admin skill.
No basic business managerial, financial managerial, marketing, human resources, none. What I found from these people, mostly when they are higher than sm, its only about ocd-ness. About cleanliness in not so obvious spot, level row, height of object, colour matching, budget without calculating resources and target, and avoid like a plaque all the real problem.

It is sad, because tesco still have some potential.
Hard worker people on option is still better, even if they admin skills are low, rather than slow, bossy, can't do much with no admin skills.

penguin

Quote from: lackofinterest on 22-05-21, 02:25PM
in my opinion old school managers are much better than the youngsters they make managers nowadays

The main reason being old school managers usually had worked there way up, one of our old store managers started as a Saturday lad collecting trollies, and worked his way up over about 20 years, someone like that is going to have far more experience than someone who has spent a few weeks in a training room and then been put in charge of a store or a department, I know its not considered the done thing anyone but the old way of people in general not just Tesco starting at the bottom and working there way up in there chosen job worked a lot better than thinking taking a course means someone can quickly be promoted.

NightAndDay

Times have changed since then, Tesco was a very different beast 20 years ago. Nowadays it's a company focused on costs and profits above all, it's not the investor in people it once was, the training is also very bare bones nowadays compared to back then. Working your way up through the company doesn't hold the guarantee of competent managers now than it did back then.

Redshoes

I have seen many come in after uni and I have seen those who have come up the ranks. At the end of the day it's the person that matters. You can't learn people skills. As soon as someone is put under pressure they revert to type. It does not matter how you learned, someone can say all the right things but it's actions that really matter.

BUY TESLA STOCK

redeo

Options in my store seem to be the chosen option to thin out the number of team leader that wouldn't accept shift leader role or being demoted and pay cut to CA.

Scruff

Quote from: horatiocain on 21-05-21, 01:15PM
It's been my experience that Tesco is loaded with lazy idiots in their management teams.
And they also tend only to promote those who fit it.
Which means the problem only grows bigger and bigger.

It's just an ever growing pile of c**p.

The few good managers flee the company because they're tired of the c**p too.

a common theme in every store i think! especially ours

penguin

Yep ever single store Scruff, back in my express days we had a shift leader join from superstore where he had been a GA, it was obvious to anyone he was far better as a leader than the store manager and within weeks to all intents and purposes he was running the shop, although not a bad thing as the store manger used to spend half the time locked in the office crying when anything went wrong or even if it just became a stressful day, shift leader in question wanted to move on and said so time and time again, after getting sick of banging his head against a brick wall he quit and went to Aldi, he is now a store manager and is already being asked if he wants to move further up, meanwhile in that express the same sm is still in place and still acting as she always has. A totally ridiculous situation but sadly far from a one off.

Andi_Lancs

Been at a Lancs store for 14 years working my ass off in a morning doing jobs of three people. I ran a business for afew years so been part time but things haven't been so good recently. I've been offered options but heard it's not great. Experiences please?

lucgeo

If you've been there 14 years, I daresay you already know the answer? How many have gone on options in your store during that time, and never got signed off?? Ask those who tried their experience of what was expected of them, and why they didn't succeed?

This comes up every year at this time...it's coming up for silly season. Saturday hails 13 weeks to Christmas Eve, the Christmas plans will be dropping down, the stock will be arriving, the warehouse will be filling up and the summer seasonal students have left.
You will be expected to do most management jobs without the pay. The term "good for your development" will constantly be used to have you running around in circles as their personal go-for!
You will do all the lates, expected to do the 12 hour shifts and I can guarantee you will be last to leave Christmas Eve, and first in Boxing Day...ditto for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day!
In February they will tell you, you haven't made the grade this time and perhaps try again in another 6 months! Meanwhile you'll now be treated as a colleague with some training, so will be first they go to to cover menial management tasks!

If you're interested on going on options, ask them when there's a lull due, possibly just before Easter, where they may be tempted to cover the busy weekend, then you could get the chance of proper training for the rest of the six months.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Andi_Lancs

I had an idea just needed the nudge being stuck, I was offered didn't say interested. Everyone at ours on options ended up leaving over the years so no-one to ask. Sounds more like voluntary work than paid work?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk