News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:37PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 294
Total: 298

Pay review 2021

Started by Witch69, 21-07-20, 09:25AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightAndDay

Yes, probably not for another year or 2 yet though.

In the loop 1.

Stock and admin get cash in the new structure in some stores.

Redshoes

Cash going to stock and admin has been talked of for a long time. Manager side of it is mostly report based and fits within admin side of things. The financial audit, apart from PFS, will now all report to one manager.

Tosco19

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear the final details for the pay review 2021? What sort of time was it in previous years?

barafear

Normally announced around April/May but has been leaked early previously.

However, the latest model (i.e. two year deal with some "adjustments") has seen the first part of any pay increase not actually be actioned until late Autumn (November) -

So we can be pretty sure we'll be on the same money until at least Nov 2021.

And it's hard to envisage anything positive otherwise. So much of what Tesco were doing was merely complying with the National Living Wage - which over a period of a few years had increased by around 4.5% a year and was projected to reach £9-10 in the next year or two. However, Covid has created a different situation - and this year's increase from £8.72 to £8.91 was only 2.2% and therefore if we use that as a projection for future years then April 2022 might see a NLW of £9.10-£9.15 and April 2023 might be £9.35-£9.45. Of course the Govt can do this now because any above inflation increase is bad for companies - it costs them extra - the Govt don't want unemployment to race away so they want employers to keep employees or hire more - plus all the fallout from Covid resulting in certain industries seeing a larger loss of jobs -

Currently we are on £9.30 - so we're already safely above the April 2021 NLW (£8.91) and by my estimates above already above April 2022.

The flip side of the coin for Tesco is possibly comparing against competitors - do they want to compare against Aldi and Lidl - not really - colleagues in Aldi/Lidl do a completely different role - albeit our restructures might mean none of us have dept specific jobs anymore -

so that leaves Sainsbury - paying £9.50
Morrisons - ok they have just increased to £10.
Asda - I think they are also around £9.50 - but with all the debacle over new contracts for all.

So, as others have said on here - the options/possibilites are not all that great:

Base rate of pay may increase to £9.60 in Nov 2021, and possibly to £10 in Nov 2022. During this period of time, night/Sunday/BH premiums may be cut/removed.

So, going from £9.30 to £10 might in theory be 7.5% increase - but it will be over two years - and anyone that gets premiums as part of their contracted hours is likely to see an increase nearer to 3% over two years (if not a cut in wages as happened to some a few years ago).

I'd like to be wrong on this point - but I really cannot see anything more generous.

Paupers wage

Thank you for a very concise and informative outlook on any pay rise Tesco's may offer

NightAndDay

Quote from: barafear on 15-03-21, 02:02PM
Normally announced around April/May but has been leaked early previously.

However, the latest model (i.e. two year deal with some "adjustments") has seen the first part of any pay increase not actually be actioned until late Autumn (November) -

So we can be pretty sure we'll be on the same money until at least Nov 2021.

And it's hard to envisage anything positive otherwise. So much of what Tesco were doing was merely complying with the National Living Wage - which over a period of a few years had increased by around 4.5% a year and was projected to reach £9-10 in the next year or two. However, Covid has created a different situation - and this year's increase from £8.72 to £8.91 was only 2.2% and therefore if we use that as a projection for future years then April 2022 might see a NLW of £9.10-£9.15 and April 2023 might be £9.35-£9.45. Of course the Govt can do this now because any above inflation increase is bad for companies - it costs them extra - the Govt don't want unemployment to race away so they want employers to keep employees or hire more - plus all the fallout from Covid resulting in certain industries seeing a larger loss of jobs -

Currently we are on £9.30 - so we're already safely above the April 2021 NLW (£8.91) and by my estimates above already above April 2022.

The flip side of the coin for Tesco is possibly comparing against competitors - do they want to compare against Aldi and Lidl - not really - colleagues in Aldi/Lidl do a completely different role - albeit our restructures might mean none of us have dept specific jobs anymore -

so that leaves Sainsbury - paying £9.50
Morrisons - ok they have just increased to £10.
Asda - I think they are also around £9.50 - but with all the debacle over new contracts for all.

So, as others have said on here - the options/possibilites are not all that great:

Base rate of pay may increase to £9.60 in Nov 2021, and possibly to £10 in Nov 2022. During this period of time, night/Sunday/BH premiums may be cut/removed.

So, going from £9.30 to £10 might in theory be 7.5% increase - but it will be over two years - and anyone that gets premiums as part of their contracted hours is likely to see an increase nearer to 3% over two years (if not a cut in wages as happened to some a few years ago).

I'd like to be wrong on this point - but I really cannot see anything more generous.

Government laws are only one aspect of determining pay in pay reviews, they also have to consider factors such as staff turnover, reviews and exit interviews and market rates, though the economic forecast of our country is poor due to Brexit and Coronavirus, this is partially off-set by the decrease in interest rates by the BOE, this means borrowing money is a more attractive proposition, the economy will likely recover this year or next so the below inflation NLW increases should only be in place for a year or 2 before incrementally getting better.

The competition will be the dominant factor in the upcoming pay review rather than the NLW, despite claims that Tesco doesn't care about staff turnover or "natural wastage" figures, the higher it gets the more money they have to spend on recruiting, training etc, in short, cost savings of not paying staff who leave will be paid for in other areas such as recruitment and training, they therefore have to maintain natural wastage figures to keep operation costs down.

With this being the case, I see 2 options, £10 an hour over a 2 year period including the scrapping of premium payments (except night premium) or £9.50 an hour with premiums maintained, anything worse than this and it would effect natural wastage figures.

chris9997

This year has been a tough one for many the cost of living has spiralled the odd 20p / 30p per hour in may be November does not cut it. In order for the company to get decent people we need to at least match/ better the other supermarkets.

londoner83

Do we though.....

The rest of retail is collapsing around us and working in a supermarket has been proven thru the pandemic to be secure employment. Suspect many would join us in the months ahead if pay didn't change and some would still if it was even cut.

Would be nice to get a big rise but when the government considers only 1% as affordable I don't think its likely we can expect 10%.

chris9997

Maybe not but if they gave us an increase in say November then it would need to match or be better than n m W proposed in the following budget, it may be in order for the lscrapping of the extra for up per week ,those in work would get a better deal .

lordadmiral

Sunday/BH premium is (basic rate x1.25) the more B.R. goes up the higher premium would be. Tesco might offer us £10p/h but Premium might be as a flat rate , for ex £2. It is one of the reasons x1.5 went down to x1.25 to save money when basic rate went up.

Do not forget statement regarding COVID staff. Tesco will say that they cant give decent payrise as company is overspending on payroll so with such army of emplyees they cant affotrd it.

NightAndDay

They are only overspending on the budget given to shop floor workers though, it doesn't detract from their capability to give an adequate raise, I guarantee the head office employees and white collar management team will get raises that are adequate.

Metalfan93

Hiya,

I was just wondering (please delete if not allowed) how legit the information I'm hearing about the equal pay claim that is going through at the moment? I've read a couple of articles but wondered if anyone knew any more about it...

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask!

Metalfan. X

BarryZola

Yeah, it's been going on for a couple of years now. We may or may not win the case and if we do it'll probably take years before we get through the courts and get any money. You can sign up on the Leigh Day website (just Google Leigh Day Tesco or something). Tesco are not allowed to discriminate against you just because you are one of the thousands who have signed up or they can be done for unfair treatment etc. I don't think much is going on with it currently, probably due to the courts not really functioning properly due to Covid. It's all legit.

NightAndDay

Supreme court judgement against Asda tomorrow I've heard.

Totot

Asda won, let see what gonna happened next.

Nomad

Asda loses Supreme Court appeal in equal pay fight

QuoteThousands of Asda supermarket workers have won a major victory at the Supreme Court in their battle for equal pay.

The court upheld an earlier court ruling that lower-paid shop staff, who are mostly women, can compare themselves with higher paid warehouse workers, who are mostly men.

[admin]Lets not forget that this thread is about Pay review 2021.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Bakersdozen

Hi does anyone know how much the 'Thank you' bonus is for hourly paid colleagues  yet? I'm guessing it's a % of earnings from  the 20/21 finacial year also it rumblings about a pay rise this year yet ???

BarryZola

Been informed it's 2%. Probably about £350 or something like that for a full-time customer assistant. Didn't think we would get anything so not going to complain too much.

Davethebave

2%
Absence isn't excluded so anyone who has been shielding should get aswell

Tommo1961

Hardly seems fair if all those that have been at home shielding get the "reward"
When most of us have put up with the s***! Of the last 12 months Whilst they've been shielding. 

Bakersdozen

Where have you guys heard this ? I can't find any more information.

If In the pay review Sunday quarter pay is taken away I hope the company compensates the contracted Sunday staff, it was a kick in the teeth last time to lose it then get told we were 10% up through the 2 year pay deal.when we were down to begin with.

Even if it was 2 years worth the difference as a good gesture would go along way. After all, alot of staff commited to Sundays and have sacrificed the family day of the week atleast compensate us for our commitment over the years. Not just take with one hand to give with the other.

I really hope Ken Murphy shows more compassion to his staff in that respect, it will go along way to repair the damage caused by Dave Lewis over the years.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Tommo1961 on 14-04-21, 03:21PM
Hardly seems fair if all those that have been at home shielding get the "reward"
When most of us have put up with the s***! Of the last 12 months Whilst they've been shielding.

Lol, why do you care what others get so long as you get what you so richly deserve.

fatboy

Where has the info come from regarding the one off bonus for all colleagues?

smurf88

It's on the weekly team 5.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk