News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:57PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Shopping with out tills

Started by his scots tie, 29-06-18, 06:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his scots tie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44654797

More redundancy's,hopefully voluntary, knowing my luck I'd get knocked down in the rush!!

notsofunny

Cant see this happening any time soon ....

lordadmiral

Hold on, didnt i read something about increase of shoplifting  .... another thing i could say that even stores will loose checkout operators there wont be increase of workers on shop floor, warehouse etc.

londoner83

The company is already having shrink issues with people abusing SAYS and Self Serve. Cant  see this rolling out to general public any time soon

Nomad

Thought this deserve a topic of its own.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Equalizer87

Tesco's attempt to look like it can compete with Amazon's Seattle store and stay "market leading".

As for the possibility  of increased shrink as a result, isn't that why Tesco force/cut staff to make the difference?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Vanilla

Forget "shopping without tills".
They should go the whole hog and try "shopping without stores".
Get rid of all staff and customers within the stores - then the only thing left will be the powers that be.

JL

We will be a busy place when people discover they can get a branded shop for the same price or less than Aldi and Lidl as you can just scan every second item as you shop and few are caught. Those who are caught do it the next day and go unnoticed. Eithier that or the money saved on checkout staff will end up being shelled out on additional guards.

lackofinterest

they trust customers to scan their own shopping but they don't trust staff in general. f****ng arseholes >:(

Equalizer87

@ lackofinterest

It's always been the way, customer always is more important in their eyes. Funny how the customer can't buy stuff  without the staff filling the shelf first.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

mexicopete

Quote from: lackofinterest on 30-06-18, 01:13PM
they trust customers to scan their own shopping but they don't trust staff in general. f***ing ar**h*les >:(
>:( >:( >:( >:( :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

Flatout

Shrink must be a concern, At my old store security were given the boot before I left, so nearly a year ago, but last week they were brought back. A month after Scan as you shop was brought in!

Redshoes

We get shrink with or without SAYS and this new app works a bit like with dot.com shopping.  The way I understand it is that you sign in with an account that has a registered bank card. You do your shop and it completes at the end but as with dot.com it does not know if you have the funds in your account until the end where it is accepted or declined.

On the whole as a company we get more shrink from bad routines and colleagues than we do from customers. I just don think we are ready for this yet. We do have issues with SAYS and I think we should at least sort them before we move on to an app.

The issues with SAYS tend to be lots of carrots or onions bought in place of higher value goods. I know that certain things trigger a basket search so why not just add this to the list. When I was shopping last wknd I changed my mind about a few things and when you do this it triggers a basket search but I knew this would happen.

With contactless payment we get customers who tap card and walk away but need to be called back as payment did not complete. I suspect with an app it would appeal to people popping in to buy a sandwich meal deal and in a rush so will be in and out of store thinking they have paid when it has not completed. I think we get a lot more innocent mistakes than deliberate. The deliberate tend to be on a whole different basis and big trolley shops with high value things like alcohol being taken with the aid of de-taggers and foil bags etc. This will still happen, not much will stop this.

I just think that the small errors will add up to big overall.

OvaSees

Quote from: Chojac2412 on 04-07-18, 07:55AMOn the whole as a company we get more shrink from bad routines and colleagues than we do from customers.
According to the European Consumer Respose group, shrink is broadly constituted by 40% customers (theft, fraud, abuse of policies and procedures), 40% employees (mistakes, poor training, theft, fraud, abuse of policies and procedures), 10% routines (technology and errors associated with operating methodologies) and 10% supply (distribution). Those ratios have varied slightly over the years but have always remained broadly static regardless of training, operational improvements and technological advances. In other words the overhelming majority of shrink is always due to people - less people does not mean less shrink, ironically it simply allows more people to cause more of it.

Shoestring

Shrink seems to be a lesser concern over gaining custom, so if a business, Tesco, thinks customers prefer technology then technology will be the innovation for the incentive to attempt to gain more customers where shrink be collateral to the purpose and shrink budget increased in line.
The profit gained on price inflated items outweighs shrink concern, e.g cosmetics are priced triple their true value so cosmetics always profit even when shrink increases so the profit made on cosmetics far outweighs the loss.  ???

I will never use my phone to make a purchase or use my bank account on, ever, so if manned tills disappeared forcing the use of cell phone, so would my custom, simple.  >:(

Hammer10

Well if Tesco can afford to give away 31 million every year then more fool them that's what they gave away on self scan this last year.

Poolie Exile

We have not got any security now in our store. Remote camera system called the Hub now watches store from Manchester? The day after security finished store was targeted by travellers stealing over £600 worth in one trolley. Apps wont work in our store as SAYS is underused as it is.

my little pony

Quote from: Hammer10 on 01-05-19, 05:55AM
Well if Tesco can afford to give away 31 million every year then more fool them that's what they gave away on self scan this last year.

Where has this figure come from?

Shoestring

Quote from: Flatout on 04-07-18, 07:30AM
Shrink must be a concern, At my old store security were given the boot before I left, so nearly a year ago, but last week they were brought back. A month after Scan as you shop was brought in!

As a stock controller I get to see how much shrink increases over time. It is definitely hand in hand self serve and increased shrink.
Tesco love and trust their customer so much that the customer can have as many freebies as they desire, so long as they still shop at Tesco. And of course with freebies as incentive, they certainly will.  8-)

The downside is obvious, Tesco staff pay in one way or other for the loss, pension, bonus, premiums, job loss etc.~.  ???

So the moral is, run your business to perpetually increase profit so long as the business modus operandi does not include conscious to the man power work force that makes it successful, in fact, slowly erode the incentives and buy out the government to ensure business rules support the corrosion of care to minimum wage workforce.
It's clear to see how slavery has reemerged as the protocol to modern business progress so long as profits continue to grow despite austerity.
(A little over dramatic perhaps) Ponzi comes to mind.  :-X

Nomad

Behind the Bradley Stoke Tesco self-service "boycott"
QuoteI Want to applaud every soul who silently and quietly said NO in Bradley Stoke Tesco yesterday, who took the time to queue to be served and not be forced to the new self serve .

Tesco shoppers stuck in huge queue after technical fault left one manned till working
QuoteTesco has denied claims shoppers had been queuing in protest this week over a decision to introduce self-service checkouts at the store.

and the truth is  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Hammer10

Let's hope they all do this they can't get rid of till operators.

lucgeo

Most definitely will refuse to use self serve, if they introduce this in my local store.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk