News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 08:52AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 439
Total: 443

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonF12003

I did both, rang my manager to inform her, then rang the sickline to inform duty

Kingkong2015

Since those who are vulnerable are being isolated for 12 weeks and paid surely then those staff who stay at work should also get the 12weeks additional paid holidays. Also Tesco should be bending over backwards to facilitate employees who need hours changed!

Vixen

I totally agree, I'm starting to feel miffed off that some people are getting 12 weeks off, I get they are high risk, however are we not high risk more being right in the heart of it?? Can we refuse to be on the shop floor?
I'm very anxious every day I go to work. All this just seems very unfair. 10% means nothing compared to those with 10 weeks full pay.

dotnochance

Jesus Christ, the staff who are off for 12 weeks aren't getting getting extra holidays, they are off because of the greater risk to their health
Did you sit there and go "its not fair these people have medical conditions and are getting time off and im not, i want extra holidays" many staff who are off, are off for a serious medical reason! get a grip

Pimpernel19

Time to argument tosserco policy with my own straight forward policy. Condition A) when the virus body count gets too high on the beer aisle I'm f***ing out of there. Suck it up stripy shirts

Paulie

Tesco for me is not doing enough to protect the staff that continue to work. I don't know what the solution is but they need to put more staff out of harms way.

Mathias casablancas

Quote from: Pimpernel19 on 23-03-20, 09:59PM
Time to argument tosserco policy with my own straight forward policy. Condition A) when the virus body count gets too high on the beer aisle I'm f***ing out of there. Suck it up stripy shirts

Dont quit though, just refuse to work because the work conditions are unsafe

Vixen

Quote from: Paulie on 23-03-20, 10:06PM
Tesco for me is not doing enough to protect the staff that continue to work. I don't know what the solution is but they need to put more staff out of harms way.

I agree, sooner rather than later colleagues are going to catch it and I dread if someone ends up in hospital all coz staff are not looked after better. Some people dont even have hand sanitizer on the till.

BarryZola

A good start would be 1 person allowed in store per trolley/basket. Absolutely no excuse for multiple people from one household/family to be walking around Tesco stores highering the risk to staff and each other. If I'm forced to still work I'd like the amount of people I'm forced to come into contact with to be limited as much as possible. Shopping is no longer a leisure activity or a day out. This is serious.

Theansweris42

I've heard that Morrison's are fitting some form of screen around checkout operators, lets hope Tesco follow suit, I'm not a cashier, but, my daughter is, I'm a baker fortunately with little contact with customers.

thor god of thunder

I can't believe some form of night team has not been re started. You would at least keep your for example 10 filling staff safe from being ill and increase the chance of keeping the store running! Social distancing isn't even mentioned by management or staff, let alone tryigg to keep your distance from the customers. If I am not ill from the virus it's only a matter of time till I am ill from all the stress and worry.
Just another point, I don't begrudge those off for 12 weeks but I do think as usual too much variation in how people are treated.

Welshie

Screens are meant to be going in this week

Retail dogsbody

I think I am in the vulnerable category, as with rheumatism I am immunosuppressed (and qualify for free flu jab) I'm not due back in until Thursday, but I don't really want to risk my health any more. Should I wait for NHS letter which we are supposed to be getting this week, or should I just phone in and say I'm not coming in for 12 weeks?

Jonathan1970

I think the letters from the nhs are only for those in the extreme risk like cancers, ect.

I think high risk wont get letters but still qualify for the time off.

Jonathan1970

Quote from: Retail dogsbody on 24-03-20, 09:17PM
I think I am in the vulnerable category, as with rheumatism I am immunosuppressed (and qualify for free flu jab) I'm not due back in until Thursday, but I don't really want to risk my health any more. Should I wait for NHS letter which we are supposed to be getting this week, or should I just phone in and say I'm not coming in for 12 weeks?

Oh and you do qualify on receiving a flu jab on medical grounds.

See below list

If you have underlying health conditions a colleague is able to take 12 weeks off with a minimum of 2 weeks of that being holiday.

According to government guidance, people that fall into the below categories are classed as vulnerable.

Aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive
pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
chronic kidney disease
chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinsons disease, motor neurone
disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
diabetes
problems with your spleen for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or
medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
those who are pregnant

Hope this helps at least 1 person. Good luck and stay safe.

Redshoes

Letters are for everybody at risk. The list of conditions to monitor covers a wide field. Asthma sufferers for example. We all know people who suffer asthma at different degrees but it's classed as chronic at any level due to asthma sufferers being more prone to chest infections etc. That is just one example from the list.

Marnie90

Hello all. I'm in a position now where I'm looking to have to go on a lifestyle break unpaid as I consider myself at risk but do not fall under the government risk (I work on the floor). I cannot for the life of me find the form to complete though. Would any of you be able to find the link please?

darklighter

"Tesco boss Dave Lewis has written to customers setting out new measures to ensure social distancing for shoppers in his stores.

The chief executive said there will now be floor markings in car parks to maintain safe distances when queuing, the number of shoppers in a store will be restricted, and extra hand santisier and cleaning products for trolleys is available.

He added that new floor markings will be added to checkout areas, protective screens introduced on checkouts, and one-way isles."

Still waiting for sanitizer after 3 weeks, staff having to buy their own at extortionate price.

dfl

Never would I buy my own sanitizer, company 100% responsible to take reasonable steps to protect employee at my work at no cost to employee
DFL

Mathias casablancas

I thought the government advice was to shop alone if possible. But Dave Lewis email says encouraging customers to shop with one other person max?

That little bit tells you that profits come way before the health of staff and customers .

TheAnonymousWorker

Do the managers have a clue what’s going on and what the policy is? I’m being told I have to return to work “soon” which is before my 14 day self-isolation is up. Told that “we give you 7 days then it’s being put in the absence book” which didn’t make much sense to me. Thought it was all marked absence but coded different to not reflect on your actually absence.

smithers

My partner has chronic ashma and Im worried about taking illness back should I even be working there??

BarryZola

Quote from: Mathias casablancas on 25-03-20, 03:21PM
I thought the government advice was to shop alone if possible. But Dave Lewis email says encouraging customers to shop with one other person max?

That little bit tells you that profits come way before the health of staff and customers .

I was very disappointed when I just read that email. Should have been only one person unless a carer or things such as a parent with no-one to look after a child. Seen way too many 2's and 3's walking around today when one person could have been sufficient to get the supplies. Also, Dave is only telling people to "try" to keep it down to 2 people. Should be strictly 1 person unless a special case and to be enforced by security at front of store. Really doesn't help the social distancing measures we're being asked to adhere to when you are having to avoid 2 people instead of one. Not good enough I'm afraid.

Queenpeggy

I read it as he wasn't encouraging you to shop with a person, but if you must, then only come with one person.

BarryZola

Quote from: Queenpeggy on 25-03-20, 04:41PM

I read it as he wasn't encouraging you to shop with a person, but if you must, then only come with one person.

With respect, I believe you've read it wrong. These are the exact words: "Try to shop with no more than one other person, which will help to reduce the number of people in-store at any one time".

In other words that means, when you shop try not to make your party bigger than 2 people (you and one other). Or, try not to make it 3,4 or 5 people. Definitely doesn't read as try to come on your own.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk