News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 02:18AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 297
Total: 297

Click and collect break/no break

Started by dfl, 28-12-22, 02:33PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

I have been on c&c a few times recently and been docked for breaks i did not get, and its so difficult getting it corrected that im considering stopping helping to do any hours past where a break would be due, does anyone know with 100% certainty how long van you go on c and c before a break is due and how long it should be for.

Thanks
DFL

lucgeo

If you're being docked for breaks, then the time you're being docked is the time you're entitled to. Are you covering from shop floor contract or dot com contract? The usual breaks apply for each.
No one should be working more than 4 hours without a break.
It used to be shop floor shifts...
4-6 hours...15 mins unpaid break.
7-8 hours...30 mins unpaid break(s) or 2x15mins
9 hours...1.5hrs break(s) 1 hr break, 30 mins break, 3x 30mins breaks or 2x 45 mins break, depending on dept and agreed flexibility for cover.

Dot com in my store was everyone took one 30 min break together mid morning, after 3.5 hours.

If you're asked to cover, you inform them that your break is due at whatever time you're nearing the 4hr cut off point! Do you have communication with the store from the C&C area? If so, you inform duty 15 mins before you want to go, and ask for cover! If you're over the 4 hrs tell duty you're now working illegally!! Just a thought...what do you do for a toilet break?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dfl

Covering c and c from dotcom, im actually normally a 4hr evening shift but 2 days per wk do c and c and usually get asked to start early which up till now I've been happy to do, but when i now see I've been being docked for breaks im not keen at all. Cant get straight answer from management about how to check im getting it back as payslip or my tesco dont itemise it, im sure im not but to check would require i log every shift myself (not easy) and when finding discrepancies/queries im being told it goes through "ad hoc", or I've to leave early some nights when job done and not clock out (management contradictory responses), dont know who to listen to and its just more hassle than its worth.

Re toilet break, i usually dont drink a few hours before work, sometimes manage the 4hrs without, but if not then about half the time i can get to toilet during end of first 2hr slot and 2nd but not always can, in that case i call and get someone out for 5 mins as c and c very close to store
DFL

NightAndDay

Was common practice to get free hours back when I was in store all part of "buying in", chances are you're not being reimbursed for forgoing your break, but best to do the calculations yourself, previous enquiries I raised about pay resulted in management making things up doing some creative accounting to come up what was on the payslip, it didn't add up back then, and as I got back paid over £2k, it proves they were lying.

Payroll in my office role is done by a HR payroll team who use Oracle Work and Pay, I've never had an issue with pay in my current capacity (I suppose because I'm salaried).

dfl

Attitude of manager when asked was to really appear disinterested, oh well back to not doing them any favours again, diligence doesnt pay
DFL

lucgeo

Are you a union member? If so ask your rep, if not ask your instore H&S rep, as to what the rules are regarding cover on c&c, as you're away from the main store, throwing casually in a query on break allowance for the hours you cover?
I'm still of the mind that you're entitled to a 15 min break on every 4 hour shift you do. When you don't cover C&C and just do your 4 hour evening shifts on dot.com are you being paid the full 4 hours per shift, or 3.75 hours? What  are your contracted hours? e.g. if you're working 16 hours per week @4x4 hr shifts, but your contract states 15 hours, then you are being docked 15 mins break per shift.
When you're asked to cover C&C, ask what time your break will be and has cover been arranged?

Very suspect of management who suggest you don't clock out!! Not only is it against policy, but repeated non clockings are a disciplinary matter!

dfl

Was dotcom delivery, 4hrs per shift, no break required, and have been paid in full, but since started click and collect 2 days per week often get asked to start earlier, not a problem as i wanted to help, but change of mind when i get docked for breaks i didnt get, not an unreasonable view to have. The issue is when asking how to make sure i get paid in full im getting conflicting answers from management & team leaders, and its just a hassle im not interested in getting involved in, if they make it simple and clear i wouldnt mind but they're not.
DFL

Morris999

It's the Shift/Team leader in Dot Com to plan/ensure breaks are covered on C&C!
If they are not doing it or refusing to, then call the Duty manager for you r break!
If they don't cover it, then call them 20 mins before shift is due to finish and tell them you're finishing 15mins early due to them not covering your break!
You'll only need to do it once as the Duty will then deal with the Shift/Team leader to ensure your breaks are covered!
It's far easier to cover a planned break than finding a colleague to cover C&C last minute whose trained with customers waiting, I guarantee it will be a manager most likely the duty that will end up doing it, they will ensure it won't happen again!

dfl

Yeah I've thought about that option of walking away to have break, but concern for customers turning up makes me not prefer that option, don't get me wrong if pushed I would do that, one issue as most would know is it may lead to a bit of bullying coming my way and difficult to prove bullying too, however easier option to me is because I'm still only contracted to 4 hrs for each c & c shift its easier to just stop the goodwill and not help at all, leave them to get cover in place for any hrs I'm not there that they need covered, basically just do my 4hrs and no more.
DFL

Morris999

Stores were told to give the c&c colleague a bodycam at the dotcom workshops in the summer, I'd ask for one if I was you then record any bullying by the shift/team leader or management.
Remember once you press record it starts from a few seconds before you actually hit the button,very handy if needed!

dfl

Does anyone know what the rules are on breaks on c & c, ie in store i know its 4hrs must have a break, but is it not 6hrs under driving rules and that c & c follows driving rules ?
DFL

gomezz

I much prefer to be on the road than cover C&C if for no other reason that I can take a comfort break as and when needed which for an older gentleman in this colder weather is pretty much of a necessity.  :/
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Morris999

Dfl, for C&C it's same as store, remember Tesco give better breaks than employment law requires!
So while it may not be illegal to not have a break in the 4 hour period, it is against Tesco policy to do so!

dfl

Morris999, totally, but not working and not getting paid for the 'breaks' is a definite no no
DFL

Redshoes

The pda is handed to another person so that colleague can take a break. On the other hand they are expected to help and support on shop floor when waiting to customer collections. If no orders to be collected they are put where needed.

forrestgimp

Quote from: lucgeo on 28-12-22, 05:22PMIf you're over the 4 hrs tell duty you're now working illegally!!

Slightly misleading albeit coming from a good place. its not illegal its against company policy.

oldfashionedplayer

aye its 6 hours where a 15 minute break is required, but tesco have agreed that a 15 minute break in a 4 hour window is a better thing, which is a better benefit to be honest.

lucgeo

Quote from: forrestgimp on 31-12-22, 10:17AM
Quote from: lucgeo on 28-12-22, 05:22PMIf you're over the 4 hrs tell duty you're now working illegally!!

Slightly misleading albeit coming from a good place. its not illegal its against company policy.

I stand corrected...it is against agreed policy not illegal, think one got carried away there! Though I did always used to tell managers it was illegal and most didn't correct me as they weren't always au fait to the rules  ;)

gomezz

Quote from: Redshoes on 31-12-22, 08:21AMOn the other hand they are expected to help and support on shop floor when waiting to customer collection
You what now? I have never seen a slot when there is not a customer to wait for.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Brownieboy

I often go in early and cover C&C before I go out on an evening run. I usually cover C & C until 1/2 hour before my driving shift to make sure I get a break in. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk