News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:43AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 274
Total: 277

Checking receipt

Started by lucgeo, 12-10-21, 11:05AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

I see Drummond street, Rotherham branch have started checking customers receipts on leaving the store? Apparently to spot check on shoplifting...so do their customers get the choice of having their receipt printed or not ???

NO...discriminates and suggests their branch have light fingered customers!
YES...kind of defeats the object!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Receipts have always been optional. This move will just irate customers and cause some not to return. Receipts are proof of purchase primarily for returns, while they can be used for other scenarios,  this shouldn't be one of them.

I can see the Area Manager reprimanding the SM if it was his decision over this. The amount lost in sales and better shrink prevention will outweigh the amount of shoplifters caught.

And that's not to mention customer service scores going down the toilet.

forrestgimp

We are told and the training says we are not allowed to stop people on suspicion alone you have to have done the whole SCONE thing. So this sounds like the store has a shrink problem and is trying to rectify it by doing this, wait for all the complaints to pile in.

Nomad

The receipt, if the customer has taken one, belongs to the customer and no staff have an automatic right to see it.

If any staff ask to see my receipt I tell them I do not have one  :-X then ask them "now what are you going to do"  :D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Twinkeltoes1

Good day,
As for checking receipts I am unable to post a new post, not sure but I thought I'd paid my dues, if not can ADMIN let me know how much as I'm having problems signing in on an ipad.

[admin]Hi t-toes, do you mean you cannot start a new topic/thread as your donation has expired. Donation request has not changed since introduction, minimum of £2.00 lasts at least 12 months. [/admin]

penguin

This is just asking for conflict and bad press, makes you wonder what idiot actually signed this one off really.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

just curious

The whole idea must be head office approved as official posters are in the store and leaflets . Problem is the receipt only gets checked for date and time of visit and amount spent possibly , not actually checking what individual items have been paid for, so you could potentially still walk out with what you want because if they looked at the amount you had spent they probably wouldn't have a scooby do what each product cost or how many items were actually in your trolley / bags . It is just a glance at your receipt and off you go - there is no checks on any items . In other words its another useless pointless head office initiative , the posters and leaflets also say this has happened in other stores before being implemented in Rotherham but does not name the stores .

forrestgimp

Its been reported in the papers, What I want to know is who is doing the checking? What happens when 10 different families leave at the same time does 1 person get them to line up and wait their turn to be checked for stealing stuff or do 10 people come from the shop floor to do it (lmao there are never 10 people available).

I have seen this done in America and I bet someone went on holiday came back and said in a meeting 'Guys I had a great idea'

Nomad

Would also be interested in what staff do if customer has no receipt but has goods in a trolley/bag, if they try to detain them they could be in a lot of trouble and very serious trouble if they put hands on them.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Hammer10

This is their own fault for bringing in a non person type check out at least a real person would scan in all shopping items ,they won't learn that it's false economy to not have staff giving good customer service .Also no staff on shop floor opens the company up to having shoplifters having a field day and those stealing whilst using scan as you steal (shop).lol.

penguin

Quote from: Nomad on 13-10-21, 11:11AM
Would also be interested in what staff do if customer has no receipt but has goods in a trolley/bag, if they try to detain them they could be in a lot of trouble and very serious trouble if they put hands on them.

Was talking about this with someone who like myself used to work at Tesco and both of us were of the opinion the staff doing the checking are being put into an impossible situation, nobody is obliged to take or present a receipt, if someone refuses the staff cannot detain them (without risking legal and or internal action) so therefore what is the point, to me all it will do is inconvenience the honest ones who comply while those who refuse or have anything to hide will simply walk out knowing nothing more will come of it. Some might say ban customers who refuse to comply but to get someone banned as per policy these days needs head office involved, the days of saying get out and don't come back sunshine are long gone.

forrestgimp

Mate they dont ban people who steal 200 quids worth of shopping by walking out with the trolley for more than 3 months if that, even then if the person phones head office and says sorry they get let back in. If we banned everyone who refuses to show or doesnt have a receipt the shop will be empty in 2 days and Tesco will be on the front page of the Sun.

Nomad

The entire exercise is farcical    ;D  ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

You can say that again, but this is Tesco and the worrying thing is no matter how badly it goes it could well be on the way to a shop near you soon.

King1999

Everyone just needs to refuse to do it....stock walks out of our store constantly.....cameras everywhere doing sweet fa.

lackofinterest

vote with your feet and shop elsewhere ffs >:D!!

horatiocain

There are several legal oddities in this.
Stopping someone from leaving is not permissable, and by doing so to check their receipt is akin to being detained upon suspicion of theft.
Any good security guard will tell you that in the SIA licence they make it clear that if you detain someone and they haven't stolen  you can face a charge of false imprisonment.
I've known of a few security guards who've run afoul of these laws when people complain to the police.

It is a crime to detain someone against their will.

Halftone84

There's training for an Sia badge ? I thought they came free with a box of frosties ...

VladPutin

Difficult to implement, a waste of time and guaranteed to annoy the customers? Yep, obviously thought up by some clown at head office who's never worked in a store(or anywhere else)in their life. 8-)

General Thorn

Quote from: horatiocain on 15-10-21, 10:51PM
Stopping someone from leaving is not permissable, and by doing so to check their receipt is akin to being detained upon suspicion of theft.
Any good security guard will tell you that in the SIA licence they make it clear that if you detain someone and they haven't stolen  you can face a charge of false imprisonment.
I've known of a few security guards who've run afoul of these laws when people complain to the police.

It is also a crime to shoplift so what is to stop people doing it?

I know our SM wants us all to be more vigilant and when the security gates alarm goes off, he wants us to go and see what's causing it. Apart from the fact we're so short staffed and too busy to run to the door what are we meant to do if we manage to stop someone at the door? Most people just keep walking and don't even slow down.

To be honest, most of us just ignore it as we're fed up being abused and are not paid as security guards. Countless times it has been pointed out how easy it is to walk out with trolly loads, as has been done in the past and is probably still being done. Their answer is to tag more products and use us as security.

Exactly what is that hugely expensive system that was put in (the Hub) for, apart from spying on staff?

Nomad

50 years ago shoplifting was almost non-existent, people walked into a shop and were served and charged by shop staff or owners.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

horatiocain

It's typical tesco stupidity.
Don't spend money on decent security which will not only stop theft but also help staff safety.

No pay someone to check receipts at the door  and you're well within your rights to tell them to go away, if they then detain you you demand they call the police, then prove you've paid for everything and file a private claim against Tesco.
Tesco will send the case to their legal team who will settle for a few thousand.

All because some tw*t didn't want to spend a little more on some security.

And stop paying minimum wage for security if you want someone who is capable of the job, they want to pay peanuts, let the monkeys run the show

just curious

Surprise - Surprise . All the leaflets and the posters have now been removed from the store , No more staff doing checks on receipts and everything reverted back to normal in the store as Tosco were not happy with all the bad publicity about the scheme . I now Guess head office will not be rolling out this experiment in other stores now and the stores budgets will have been reduced as they no longer have to pay extra wages out to do the till receipt checks ?. No doubt someone in head office will dream something else up that's just as crazy though ? .

VladPutin

Quote from: General Thorn on 20-10-21, 03:56PM
Quote from: horatiocain on 15-10-21, 10:51PM

It is also a crime to shoplift so what is to stop people doing it?

I know our SM wants us all to be more vigilant and when the security gates alarm goes off, he wants us to go and see what's causing it. Apart from the fact we're so short staffed and too busy to run to the door what are we meant to do if we manage to stop someone at the door? Most people just keep walking and don't even slow down.

To be honest, most of us just ignore it as we're fed up being abused and are not paid as security guards. Countless times it has been pointed out how easy it is to walk out with trolly loads, as has been done in the past and is probably still being done. Their answer is to tag more products and use us as security.

Exactly what is that hugely expensive system that was put in (the Hub) for, apart from spying on staff?

Agreed. I'm paid to stock the shelves and serve the customers. Not act as a security guard. If Tesco want to stop stheft from stores, bin the Group Security Managers and use the saving to hire their own security guards.

penguin

Group security manager has to be one of the most useless jobs in this company and that is saying something, the last store I worked in had a massive shrink issue due mostly to junkies coming in and clearing out high value stock while nobody could according to policy do anything other than observe, group security managers response "you need to smile and chat to them, make a fuss of them and they wont steal from you" erm yes Sir I can really see that working with some addict who needs to steal to fund his next fix, talk about not having a clue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk