Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:28AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 216
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 207
Total: 211

Single parent. hours affecting my child

Started by cr56, 25-04-10, 04:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Expressdude2016

Do you mean you shift should be 1-10pm but you start at 1.15pm because of dropping your daughter off and I assume your contracted shift is 1-10pm or 9hrs whatever the shift should have been. Yes you would need to still do your full shift but could you not ask your manager if you just took breaks totalling 75 mins instead of 90 that you could finish at 10pm.

HereWeGoAgain

I have a question about this... if I have written a letter requesting flexible working hours and more than one vacancy is available on different departments should I go through the apply as normal process when I wrote my letter before the jobs appeared? My impression was that I should, if nothing is available on my current department, be offered the opportunity to move to another department if it has suitable hours?

lucgeo

If I am reading your post correctly?? You have requested to move on to a flexible contract? Vacancies in your store have since become available in other departments that may suit??

Any vacancies need to be applied for....you will not automatically be considered, and offered these vacancies without you putting in an application for the position. Department managers would not necessarily be aware of your wish to transfer.....other colleagues may have also written requesting similar to yourself?

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

HereWeGoAgain

I'm a single parent who has requested that my hours be altered due to a change in circumstances to fit around the needs of my child. That's what I mean by flexible working hours. My understanding was that as long as there are hours on the heat map in a department that fit needs once you have applied for parental flexible working hours in writing they are supposed to help you as soon as they can if it does not affect the business Thanks.

lucgeo

Ok that's out of my experience with regard child care arrangements?? Perhaps, speak to your rep, or a more experienced rep on here, who is aware of the rules surrounding this, could help??

Have you thought about becoming a VLH supporter, then you could private message some of the more experienced members, requesting their advice. Member Olivia Pope springs to mind  ???

HereWeGoAgain

I wrote a letter to  our then PM who started looking into it for me. Of course they ended up leaving and despite my knowing there were more suitable hours available on several depts I was made to jump through hoops by my own manager because I needed to change dept. What frustrated me was I've seen jobs being filled in my store with no jobs advertised and seen others change dept with no problem. From my experience and that of others who worked for my previous manager I would say it's all down to how awkward your manager is, and mine, was awkward. I was forced to apply for the job on the dept as opposed to being moved because my then manager made a big fuss to delay it as long as possible because my hours were not desirable to many people.

Mark calloway

I'm a carer for my disabled wife and I have two young kids. I requested a night off because I had to take my wife to an appointment and it would mean I would have had NO sleep whatsoever.  It got refused so I didn't get to take my wife.  What could I of done? I got told it was too short notice. (3 days). We had a full quota of staff and it wasn't a busy night.

chris9997

Firstly flexible working would not automatically get you the hours you require, it just means your hours would be movable but normally not always in the staffs favour, you would be better of to try to work something out around your hours starting earlier cutting breaks down etc. if the reason you want flexi is you want the choice of keep changing your work pattern to suit your arrangements I am not sure how this will work.

chris9997

you could claim time off for dependents (unpaid) but maybe 3 days is not enough notice surely the appointment was not that sort notice?

madness

Quote from: carlh on 21-07-18, 11:38AM
I'm a carer for my disabled wife and I have two young kids. I requested a night off because I had to take my wife to an appointment and it would mean I would have had NO sleep whatsoever.  It got refused so I didn't get to take my wife.  What could I of done? I got told it was too short notice. (3 days). We had a full quota of staff and it wasn't a busy night.

Did your appointment only get sent to you with 3 days notice? I have sometimes said to people no to short notice time off but if they tell me what it is I will usually try my hardest to get cover for it.

lucgeo

Are you the recognised Carer on your personnel file records? Where you offered a shift swap, take as unpaid, holiday? Or just a blank refusal??

Mark calloway

Sometimes she gets a "cancellation" appointment. Even had one for the day after once.

Mark calloway

It was just a blank refusal. Even when I had to have a couple of days off when the Mrs and my daughter,who has the same bone condition,were ill I got told I have to think of my contract with Tesco FIRST

mexicopete

@carlh.. not for the first time whilst reading a post on Vlh.. I just gasp in disbelief at our so called managers and their total lack of feelings towards their staff. Your manager is very lucky it was you and not me they did this to. by the way the next time they ask for assistance in anything great or small.. you know what your answer to them should be.. don't you. :question: :question: :question: :question: ;) ;) ;)
The worlds me lobster

JL

It happens time again. Whatever answer a reasonable person would give I just expect the opposite now. Management is a natural ability if you try training it like Tesco do it appears false. Our place runs better without them. All they do is get GAs backs up with daft lets talks, investigation which go nowhere and reviews for people more experienced than they are.  In the last week i have only spoke to my manager once about holiday booking. Surely nowadays all this could be done online/using an app/by a low paid admin worker. The only thing he asked of me all week was to try and do the WMTY. Again something I would have done without his input as I have issues I want to raise anonymously about him and the Lead manager who treat the new staff like dirt.

Mark calloway

One of the line managers? Is pretty good, he's aware of my home situation and always tries to help. It's lack of consistency that's part of the problem

lucgeo

Again I ask.....are you recognised as the Carer on your personnel file??

Mark calloway

I don't think I am,all the managers know my situation. Would I have to of seen it or signed something?

lucgeo

If your not recognised as the main Carer on your records, then you are treated no differently to anyone else with regard family commitments, especially as it is a regular occurrence. If you are her registered Carer, recognised by the social services or equivalent, or receive a carers allowance, then you need to have this included on your personal file. This would mean that tesco would need to take this into consideration, when hospital visits, RHRP etc..are in discussion. Then when your wife receives hospital appointments, they should endeavour to accommodate, providing you show  the appointment letter when requesting time off.

Mark calloway

Thanks,I'm registered with the drs and the council etc. Regards letters, occasionally she doesn't get them because she gets cancellations. I don't want treating different I just want consistency. I get refused yet one they let one woman off for "childcare issues"  the child in question is 18,she just didn't want him going on the pi*s

Loki

Quote from: lucgeo on 21-07-18, 05:38PM
If your not recognised as the main Carer on your records, then you are treated no differently to anyone else with regard family commitments, especially as it is a regular occurrence. If you are her registered Carer, recognised by the social services or equivalent, or receive a carers allowance, then you need to have this included on your personal file. This would mean that tesco would need to take this into consideration, when hospital visits, RHRP etc..are in discussion. Then when your wife receives hospital appointments, they should endeavour to accommodate, providing you show  the appointment letter when requesting time off.

He does not have to be a registered carer for his wife to qualify for TOFD. I've come across numerous identical situations regarding colleagues and they've ALL taken TOFD for such situations with no problem whatsoever as they are protected by legislation regarding TOFD!! None of them are registered carers... TOFD IS NOT ONLY applicable to registered carers.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Mark calloway

Thanks. My kids also have the same bone condition, multiple exostosis,as my wife so it's not easy at the moment. In the near future both kids will be having a trial medicine which will mean regular injections,blood tests and m.r.i scans. I'm dreading telling work. The hospital is a fair drive and with my wife being ill I'm the only one who can drive.

lucgeo

Indeed TOFD is not only for registered carers, and I didnt think I was giving that impression in my post..I have always found it easier if people have it in their files as registered as a Carer. When it comes to having time off, as in this case, not every manager is as flexible/understanding or aware, so to have it in the file cuts out the c**p, or being told their contract with tesco comes first, when requesting last minute time off, or on a regular basis? Also in the last round of RHRP, a colleague was told that as they were not a recognised Carer, their objection to changing certain hours, due to caring committments for their partner, would not be considered as a justifiable reason.

Loki

carlh's case would be covered by TOFD. There's more to the legislation than the minute excerpt provided in the Tesco Booklet. Management should be aware of TOFD as a whole or it could result in them skating on thin ice.

Fortunately no such problem, as of yet, has occurred with my fellow colleagues. Nor should it be a problem anywhere else.

Then again, we are talking about Tesco here.  8-)
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Bakeryboy

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong place, I've searched but couldn't find what I was looking for and I didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm currently working 32.5 hours a week and was informed by a colleague that if I drop my hours below 30, I would be saving more in tax than I would for those 2.5 hours, is there any truth to this? This would be handy for me as my daughter is disabled and my partner sometimes struggles so any extra time I can spend at home would make a big difference. I've spoken to my DM but she isn't being helpful at all.

I'm in Northern Ireland if that makes any difference at all. Any advice would be brilliant.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk