News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:52PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 301
Total: 304

Animal welfare/cruelty

Started by SensibleSid, 03-03-14, 09:02AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SensibleSid

This article gives some info on the story, but you should watch "fishfight" on TV to see how deceiptful Tesco are when it comes to making commitments.
Tesco appear very callous!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-blasts-tesco-selling-3196393

penguin

The Daily Mail's take on it,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2571302/TV-chef-Hugh-Fearnley-Whittingstall-blasts-Tesco-claims-sells-tuna-caught-nets-kill-endangered-turtles-sharks.html

I thought the Oriental and Pacific Tuna was a Tesco own label, it replaced the Value Tuna in my local store some months back.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

QuoteGreenpeace has compiled a league table of sustainable tuna. Tesco comes last and Sainsbury's comes top
:d:

:)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

spike_pkh

i read that article in a paper yesterday and was waiting for it to appear on here. I was gonna add my 2 cents but a commenter on one of the articles sums it up perfectly

"So Tesco has stated that their own brand produce is line caught.... But they offer cheaper versions to give their customers a choice (because not that many people actually care)..... I don't see the problem, buy Tesco's own brand if you really care that much or just don't buy Tuna... I'm pretty sure there's tons of starved people out there that would happily take this Tuna off Tesco's hands."

SensibleSid

The real issue is not so much that the net caught Tuna kills other species such as Turtles , sharks, dolphins and rays. What I am highlighting is that Tesco appeared to have made a commitment to not sell the net caught Tuna and then introduced another brand that did not state its source. This is sheer dishonesty and an attempt to mislead consumers. This follows on from Tesco's Public shaming in the Horsemeat scandal.
I today recieved an e.mail reply from Tesco customer services saying " Pacific & Oriental Tuna "is not a Tesco brand and is on sale in other supermarkets". Why can't Tesco stick to their promise of not selling Net caught Tuna? It seems they do not have the guts to simply say we don't care, we'll sell what we want.

Nomad

Tesco ends turtle trade: Chain's Chinese stores stop selling reptiles as a delicacy after complaints from campaigners

About bloody time  >:( only took them 8 years  >:(

QuoteTesco has abandoned the sale of turtles for the dinner table at its stores in China where they were packed alive into plastic bags or butchered in front of customers.

The company has bowed to pressure from animal welfare campaigners who accused the retailer of putting profit before animal welfare.

The Daily Mail has highlighted how in some instances the wriggling turtles were picked from tanks and triple wrapped in plastic bags where they survived for an hour before suffocating.

At the same time, soft-shelled turtles – a popular Chinese delicacy priced at £5 - were killed in front of customers by having their heads chopped off.

QuoteThe retailer has been selling the live turtles since 2007, however the company said yesterday that the trade has stopped because 'this is not in line with our approach on animal welfare'.

Better late than never  :thumbup: , I suppose.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Tesco bird

More like not making enough profit.... (-*-)

notsofunny

Tesco not selling them does not mean that no one will buy them,, In truth most fresh things like this are purchased from stalls out side,
Iv seen it for my self ,

I had it translated for me once if I wanted Dog food......... Only to then understand that it was......... :( ???  in Nam
Singerpoor

In fact when you go out to eat,, You get it so fresh that they could still be moving around on your plate,,

But I suppose we want to impose our thinking on others when it comes to some things,, But then like most of those around are very happy to have bacon/steaks/chops  oh yes Our great fave Fish,
But that's OK,, we can hide behind the fact that someone else slit them,, and skinned them to us they are just a slab of?

Nomad

Some people forget or ignore their own morals just because it is happening in another country, hypocritical to say the least.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

notsofunny

I think its more hypocritical coming from a nation that loves cats and dogs,, which they lock up 23 hours a day in a house or room, Cats and dogs that have had a snip job done to them just so they don't........

A Horse loving nation that just loves to see the grand national,, at which time the horses end up dead or are wiped as much as the rider can get away with,
And in case the horse does not make the mark ends up with a bolt in the head , and then ends up as cat/dog food for the other pets we love 8-)   

Morals start at home, start with freeing all the birds that are in cages, cats and dogs that should never have been so inbreed that they live in pain for the short life's they have,
I don't think i will Evan  go down the lane not road of chiken and other life stock farms and the transportation of such Animals ??? yes ??? 

The most gut wrenching thing of all is that as a nation of animal lovers we sit around seeing men woman and children crossing the seas lying dead in the sea,, but putting up our arms and saying I'm OK jack,

Morals or morality start at home

Nomad

A retailer allowing actions, which they condemned as cruel, just because it was not in this country but even though still under their control.

Different morals for different locations, hypocrisy in anybodies language.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

fargone

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=545_1345800806

[admin]WARNING: contains scenes of extreme animal cruelty [/admin]

Klobasa

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Metal Mario

Can someone explain to me why halal meat is becoming so common, often it is going unmarked as halal so it can't be to satisfy just Muslim demand.

Is it cheaper to slaughter and process?
In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

notsofunny

Think more of us need to go to a slaughterhouse ,
A bolt to the head does not in reality  kill the animal and they do slit its.......as well,
And from what i found out over 75% of Halal Animals Slaughtered Are stunned before they have there ,,,,,slit,

The other 25% are ..........to the point like seen,, Besides Halal meat all Jewish Kosher meet is 100% cut as seen,

Near all chikens In the UK are Halal and Most lamb is as well,,, I was told that all new zeland meat and Australian is 100% Halal,

reason for it being so is the cost,, The largest export market is The mid east and far east,, and in those country's regardless of if they are Muslim or not they demand Halal Or Kosher, Something about the taste being better if the blood of a dead animal has flown out rather that stayed in the body after it is dead,

For it to be  Halal or Kosher the Animal Must not come in to contact with a non Halal or Kosher Animal ,

Again Putting on a label to say it is Halal Or Kosher costs money,,,

Muslims and Jews have asked for all meat to have labels saying if they are halal or not but they have been told no they cant,, Reason is Say lamb chops are placed next to Pork chops they will no longer be Kosher or halal ,( cross contamination)       

All in all it comes down to cost factor,, As well as Export Markets,,

From what i was told near 100% chikens in take aways are Halal, as R all Kebabs... I would go so far as saying if you are having a take away chances are it is halal meat ,

For those of you that travel , every country in the mid east sells only halal or Kosher,, same can be said of the far east.. india/pak/bangla/singap/Malaysia/v,Nam/philop.... most of Africa its the same.......

I did ask someone once how someone would be able to make sure that they only got Non Halal or Kosher meat,,,, Reply was that go get Pig or horse meat.....,,

Wonder how many of us will stop eating meat after seeing this? 8-) ???

nightslave101

The British method of animal slaughter uses captive bolt pistol to fire a bolt through the animal's brain to render it unconscious. It is then hung upside down and blead out by having it's throat cut. Make no mistake its heart is still beating when its throat is cut but it should be painless due to being effectively brain dead. That is the only difference between British and Halal slaughter the animal is stunned first to reduce its suffering.

I think a lot of folk these days are a bit naïve as to how the meat on their plate is processed and if they had to physically kill the animal themselves, which is a violent process by hand, then most would turn vegetarian!

A cheaper product, be it beef tuna or whatever, is always going to be processed in the most cost effective way. You have two choices here, either pay more for a product that you know has been prepared in a way you can deal with morally or just stop eating that animal all together. 

Halal while violent and crewel by our modern western standards is the norm in most Middle Eastern countries and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

According to Wikipedia "Animal slaughtering in Islam is in accordance with the Qur'an. To slaughter an animal is to cause it to pass from a living state to a dead state. For the meat to be lawful (Halal) according to Islam, it must come from an animal which is a member of a lawful species and it must be ritually slaughtered, i.e. according to the Law, or the sole code recognized by the group as legitimate. There are three methods of killing: slitting the throat (dabh), plunging the knife into the dimple over the breast bone (nahr), and killing in some other way ('aqr). The slaughterer must say the name of God (bismillah), before slaughtering the animal. Blood must be drained out of the carcass."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk