News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:16PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 271
Total: 277

Jack's

Started by londoner83, 13-09-18, 10:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordadmiral

In my opinion Jackas will not succeed.  Opening new format would be useful in towns where Tesco do not have any store at all. But it is said there are plans to convert some old stores into new format.

So if people do not want to shop at tesco or buy cheap tesco products now, then why should they do it at their local Jackas store?

mexicopete

Quote from: mexicopete on 14-09-18, 09:07PM
Tosco offer quality as well as branded..so l can't see Jacks resembling it in any way. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Costco.
The worlds me lobster

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Duracell

Interesting Read, particularly the part about, canabolising the current brand.
Surely any success at J's will ultimately have a negative impact in part for T, it's brand and Any loyal customers it has.

Also the suggestion that J's will try to avoid infringing on the T locations is actually a Nonsense and prove to be a damning mistake, if J's has any intention stake a serious claim to the discounter market they will have to trade in the localities of those discounters eventually, which then also effects T and that brand.

To just open where there is little to no T presence would be foolish and yet another half hearted poor attempt. Yet to directly take on the discounter at their locality will have an unknown impact on its own senior brand as that to is in the same locality.

Devil and the Deep Blue sea.

Opshunned may well have the right idea, I think the Booker merger will play big part, as the Euro Shopper brand is now at their disposal.
Quite ironic really, if you are aware of how Booker acquired that brand in the first place, as Euroshopper is not the brain child of Booker. They themselves bought out another company just to acquire that brand because it was so successful.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Duracell

By having Access and joining with  Booker

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_Shopper

They also have Access to and are part of the 10 members of https://www.ams-sourcing.com

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Duracell

*maybe boring for some warning*

Speculative thinking.

So in the links above AMS sourcing have phased out the Euro Shopper Brand in other countries.
Given the E U situation, will a Brand Called Euro Shopper be damaged or even able to survive what ever EU trade deal is struck?

If AMS sourcing have to rebrand Euro Shopper in the uk, is it possible that now T has an indirect connection to AMS sourcing that brand maybe J's ?

The "J's brand" Then finds itself on every corner shop in the country without the operational costs of those shops being open.

Actual Brand Focus rather than Store format or Shopping experience.

Example if T ended up with 1p in every pound taken by a rebranded (Euro Shopper) logo with hardly any cost, how much would that be worth?

Duracell.

Duracell

Something else I have noticed which can't have been overlooked by the decision makers. I see with increasing regularity local hospitality businesses, buying items in supermarkets in Wholesale quantities.

What if, J's is a way of introducing wholesale buying to the retail customers, whilst at the same time, providing the wholesale cliental of Booker and the like with greater access to a discounted supply chain.

Duracell.

captain

Agree Duracell
When I started at Tesco there was a bulk purchase policy in place, not any more.

Sandwich shops call in for their 100 tea cakes, (or muffins, barm cakes depending where you live), 4 boxes of lettuce and assorted salad goods.

Latest "tins" of celebration at 2 for £7 are flying out where our local businesses seem to be having a competition as to how many they can fit in a trolley at one time.

Going back to the original thread, I think ALL businesses have to change, evolve and continually re-invent otherwise they become the next BHS or Woolworths.

Bring it on I say much rather have some job than no job at all, you can still keep looking for other opportunities.

I have said it before Tesco are one of the best to work for in retail but there are loads more out there that pay better and have better conditions in non retail

fatboy

When is the 1st Jack's opening?

StinkyPoo

Wednesday in Cambridge i believe...

Kipper11

It's not in Cambridge.

It is in Chatteris in one of the mothballed stores that was not opened a few years ago.

notsofunny

Quote from: Duracell on 15-09-18, 02:53PM
Something else I have noticed which can't have been overlooked by the decision makers. I see with increasing regularity local hospitality businesses, buying items in supermarkets in Wholesale quantities.

What if, J's is a way of introducing wholesale buying to the retail customers, whilst at the same time, providing the wholesale cliental of Booker and the like with greater access to a discounted supply chain.

Our local booker ,like a cosco ,but with no branded lines ,, OR do you think they will have large pack branded lines ?

Duracell

I was just speculating the possibility, if they are true to Jack Cohen's ideology at J's then you would see stock piled high being sold cheaply. Maybe some catering size stock piles.
I don't think the Public are gullible enough to accept an exclusive brand known to be T's but not in T stores without a substantial difference. I personally think there is more to J's than different store format, I think there is a strong possibility that you may also see the Brand elsewhere IE on shelves that Booker supply.

Duracell.

Nomad

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-6171457/Tesco-braves-legal-minefield-launch-discount-store-Jacks.html

QuoteTesco is poised to launch a string of discount retail stores called Jack's – but it will be operating for a whole month without watertight protection over its trademark.

More than 15 complaints have already been registered in both the UK and the EU against the name and, separately, the brand's red logo.

Will it remain as 'Jack's'  :-\
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Duracell

Indeed!!!

I find it more than coincidental that Bookers Euro food range is Also prodominently  Red.
See the link above.

More to this than Just J's.

Duracell.

OpShunned

He does what he wants so he might as well just call it Dave's  :D :D :D

http://www.theweek.co.uk/96499/tesco-planning-to-axe-dozens-of-city-centre-stores

mexicopete

@OpShunned. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
The worlds me lobster

Nomad

Tesco trademark misstep may actually be conscious commercial decision.

QuoteFirst, reflecting the competitiveness of the industry, the retail giant took a leaf out of the book of tech companies and sought to first register its mark in Sri Lanka with a view to the claiming priority in the UK and EU while operating 'under the radar'.

It's a small world.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

T.C.1

It wil be intresting to see when they rebrand the metro stores into Jacks will they try and rebrand the workers contracts i.e. be TUPED or some other way so not buying there old contracts out?? With this company you ever know!!

patty1

Doubt tupee will  be involved.  We were offered redundancy, chance to apply to other Tesco stores, or if we applied to the new format we would retain length of service and that's it.  New t and c's and any redundancy would be lost for good.

hesketh

They could call it

JACK C'S  :D :D :D :D
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

forrestgimp

Quote from: Duracell on 15-09-18, 02:11PM
*maybe boring for some warning*

Speculative thinking.

So in the links above AMS sourcing have phased out the Euro Shopper Brand in other countries.
Given the E U situation, will a Brand Called Euro Shopper be damaged or even able to survive what ever EU trade deal is struck?

If AMS sourcing have to rebrand Euro Shopper in the uk, is it possible that now T has an indirect connection to AMS sourcing that brand maybe J's ?

The "J's brand" Then finds itself on every corner shop in the country without the operational costs of those shops being open.

Actual Brand Focus rather than Store format or Shopping experience.

Example if T ended up with 1p in every pound taken by a rebranded (Euro Shopper) logo with hardly any cost, how much would that be worth?

To do that Tesco would need to be manufacturers not just retailers, as it stands manufacturers make products and stick whatever label is needed on it. So what possible monetary benefit would a different retailer get from buying Jacks cheap stuff as opposed to tesco sainsburys or any other supermarkets own brand. Also where does the money for Tesco come from they are not producing anything to sell to the other supermarkets.

If you owned a small shop why would you go to the cash and carry and buy other supermarkets own branded products? If you were a chain that dealt with manufacturers direct why would you pay to have a competitors branded product for your own shelves? I also know from experience that Tesco and all the other major supermarkets are very precious about the recipes for their own brand products and would not take kindly to a third party manufacturer producing products for a competitor regardless of size using their trademarked recipes...

So we get back to Tesco now going into manufacturing to produce all of these wonderful Jacks branded products just to sell to other supermarkets, Not going to happen is it.

ManyFormats

Reading the comments on this thread had been hilarious, frustrating and downright embarrassing.

It is clear from the majority of the comments that most of you have no idea how the. New format will work, what the rollout plan is, why it is needed rather than being done in a Tesco store, and why we're doing it.

How about, for once *just for once* you look at the project with an open mind and optimism?

The facts are:
💡80% of the products are British
💡We will open 10/15 stores this year
💡5 of these will be from existing Metro stores - the colleagues in these stores are already aware of the changes and have been spoken to/offered options
💡The remainder of stores will therefore be NEW. This means the company is trading well and is in a strong financial position. This is good for the Share price, Your Pension and your longevity working for a profitable business
💡We are taking on the German discounters at their own game, levelling the playing field in terms of operation, but with an added buying power of Tesco, Booker and Carrefour, and the world class distribution networks of Tesco and Booker.
💡imagine being in Sainsbury's or Asda this morning, limited to big stores, facing the prospect of dozens and dozens of store closures, integration of 2 replenishment systems, distribution networks, working agreements and supplier negotiations, losing Market Share to the discounters and now a new challenge to face from Jack's

We should be getting behind the business on this, recognising that it benefits everyone for it to be successful and be proud that Tesco is back doing what it is best at - being disruptive in the market and fighting for Market Share.

OpShunned

Good luck NewFormats in your new role at Dave's.

It's Dave's Brave New World aided by his fellow robber-baron Alan Stewart.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Red75

Are you senior management or on the board Manyformats?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk