News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:08PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 317
Total: 320

Cleaners & cleaning

Started by Nomad, 23-07-20, 11:24AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

More money and more time  :-X

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/22/tesco-staff-in-nearly-2000-stores-to-clean-shops-after-contractors-axed
QuoteTesco said the cleanliness of its stores had “never been more important” and store budgets would be increased to give employees the additional time needed to complete cleaning tasks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53501318
QuoteShop workers will be expected to wipe shelves and fridges, mop floors and clean staff toilet facilities.

They will be given training and extra time to complete the extra duties.
Quote"Following a successful trial we have found that giving our stores more ownership and control over their cleaning results in better and more consistent standards," a spokesperson said.

Has anybody been involved in the trial  :question:  as heard nothing on here.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Hammer10

To do it properly you need at least 4 hours if they don’t give the right time to do the cleaning I for one will spread it about how dirty it is .I will stop shopping at any store and shop elsewhere 600 pounds a month less for Tesco if everyone did this they will soon close down or change their small minds.

jonty

I worked at Lidl for a month inbetween leaving and rejoining Tesco and we had to clean the shop every evening and you don't go home until it's done. The speed you're expected to do it at is intense.

King1999

The board think they are on a roll with what they've got away with,with staff cuts,and streamlining that actually isn't,like they have.Work to rule, Tesco isn't Aldi or Lidl and it never will be.Its an obsession that will be its downfall especially with the over worked and undervalued staff.Just look at what Lewis has been paid while he's been in charge everyone's blood should be boiling.Elitist leadership that's why we've lost so many good staff.You won't see them cleaning will you.😡

jonty

One day in the uncertain future do you think it's possible that Tesco could morph into Jack's?

Nothing would surprise me anymore.   :)

King1999

I think Jack's will go after Lewis departs,complete waste of time.

jonty

You never hear of it in the news now.

I don't think it sounds too crazy now to say that one day there is a likely chance that we won't need highstreet shops like Tesco anymore. It's scary.

Redone1

As someone who works in express, There zero chance the staff will get chance to clean the store, Our cleaning spends 3 hours every morning cleaning. The staffing levels are just barely enough to keep the store ticking over as it is. Now they expect us to do the cleaner job as well. Especially during these times.

Pathfinder

Im sure with a broom up our arse we will be able to fill the shelves get delivery in Jump behind the till and sweep the floor at the same time . Eps one on one .

Whistleblower

i use to work as a contract cleaner for tesco and this is what to expect when taking over cleaning duties especially toilets

1 used tampons left in ladies toilet
2 soiled underwear left in toilets
3 human faeces and blood smeared over the walls and floor
4 blocked toilets-once i shut a toilet door locked because of a blockage,full of toilet roll and s***,went back an hour later,door was kicked in and somebody else had used it adding more toilet roll and s*** to the blockage
5 people pissing and defecating all over the floor- i kid you not
6 cleaning up peoples sick,which could include remnants of blood
7 used up toilet roll on floor because some people have difficulty putting it where it should actually go
8 litter,because people actually eat in tesco toilets, especially stuff they have nicked from the store,and the odd bottle of spirits,wine and cans of beer
9 needles that junkies have left
10 cleaning up after a homeless person has used it as  his/her personal bathroom
11 cleaning the toilets after a phone call from front desk and then getting a phone call 10 minutes later because someone yet again has made a mess

the best thing would be to have no toilets for customers, because of cutbacks,these tesco toilets are now public toilets and are used as such

Nomad

I know somebody will say they're no better, but various news articles do say staff toilets.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

orchard2020

I see what our cleaner does and no way can we incorporate cleaning when we are on bare bones of staff. A kick in the teeth for all our efforts during the pandemic. 

tablet

Staff may now start leaving the staff toilets as they found them.

lucgeo

And what dept code does the cleaning come under?

From what I recall, the contracts state a colleague can be asked to work on any dept, or store, deemed reasonable. But your badge says 'customer assistant' not ' s*** shoveller'

It's not a case of 'clean as you go' ...What about cross contamination? Are they going to provide all the tools for the job, training in how to deal with human waste etc...in between serving customers and handling stock. Jeez, they can't even provide working equipment now, such as a PDA.
It's not just a case of donning a pair of marigolds and a cloth. Some colleagues personal hygiene standards are already questionable, doubt they're going to be much fussed about scraping the s*** off their shoes, before they traipse back into the service or storage areas 
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Totot

I told my manager about health contamination, mostly because I work in express so it will be too obvious.

Cleaning normally start with the floor, then the bin inside the shop and warehouse, then staff room, toilet, front of the shop bin and this can be quite nasty, then main bin at the back. And after that, usually clean the shelves door, remove anything sticky on the floor, then remove some unwanted cardboard or plastic around the backyard and surrounding area that been blown by wind since it is mandatory from the council we have to do it.

So the person who done it might need to wear different gloves, clean themself properly before they handle any at least fresh stuff, possibly change uniform ideally, mostly if there are some accident. On top of that, these ideally been done in the morning, where normally only baker and manager/tl that time and might be another ca in the same time or an hour later.While customer already waiting, newspaper and bread need to be done and cages waiting from the night before.
This will be really interesting for sure.

Whistleblower

Quote from: Nomad on 23-07-20, 09:32PM
I know somebody will say they're no better, but various news articles do say staff toilets.
My mistake, did not read news article thoroughly,but Don t you think it's a matter of time that this will be the case for all stores

Nomad

Possibly, even more likely probably.  However I do not see the effected staff being given the time or the means(equipment) to do the cleaning efficiently or thoroughly.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

beahead

Wonder if they will be doing this at head office? After they have eaten nice  lunch in the restraunt, no thought not , just the shop working plebs

miriam

Hi

Just a question I'm sure has been asked, how do you start new topic??

And/or how can we take issues out of store or has the manager have the say as to if it goes out of the store.

[mod]Ref: starting new topic. Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

lucgeo

You need to become a VLH supporter to start new threads.

The only recognised grievance that goes out of store is a dignity at work grievance.
However...depending on how serious the grievance is, it must sometimes be automatically escalated. A grievance against the SM for example.

There is always protector line as a last resort.

Mark calloway

I'm not entirely sure our staff toilets are cleaned at all. They absolutely stink of s**t &p*ss. Absolutely disgusting

Munchkin

A question worth exploring for everyone with concerns about the future cleaning issues in store..... How and who will deal with human body fluid waste sharps and contaminated dressing all pose a risk of permanent infection and death if dealt with incorrectly and also what training will people receive to deal with the cleaning products segregation of mops and cloths for different areas etc please enquire then come back and amuse us with the responses 

notsofunny

Mops was the first thing that sprang to mind , since it was always a problem with Store staff taking out mops that should be used in toilets on to the shop floor , putting back mops which had just been used to clean up spills from sauces without rinsing them , coming into work to find that the cleaner complaining  about broken glass in the buckets , also just wondering on which day the store manager will be cleaning the Toilets ,,,,,,,,, ;D after all they do say , lead by example ,,,,,,,,

lucgeo

Oh the stench some mornings coming in, stinking floors and mops in buckets, having just mopped all floors with them. Toilets with the same stains on them for days on end.

Legally customer toilets should only be offered if there is a cafe on site. Therefore, the cleaning of them should become the sole responsibility of the cafe staff.

taliahad

What does the union have to say about all this?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk