News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

03-07-22, 09:04AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 29,900
  • Total Topics: 541
  • Online today: 54
  • Online ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32

Bullying /intimidation

Started by btblackbird, 12-06-22, 11:33AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btblackbird

Hi all just asking for a friend, what can be done or who should be contacted if someone is being bullied and intimidated by fellow colleagues and management are not dealing with the matter? Thank you

lucgeo

Firstly I would suggest they request a "let's talk" meeting with their manager, to bring the matter to their attention.
They need to make notes with regard the response from the manager and what they intend to do to support, with an agreed timescale for a follow up meeting noted!

Any bullying by colleagues should be written down with name(s),date of incident, what was said / done and by whom? This should be kept and a copy given to the manager at the meeting.

If it continues, an escalation request for the attention of the store manager! If your friend is a union member, they should approach their rep immediately to bring it to their attention! It's amazing how many times a quiet word from a rep to a manager, can see it all sorted without any drama!

I always used to tell members my role was mainly in an intermediary capacity, and they paid their subs for that service! Little things, that could have been nipped in the bud at the off, not left to fester to make everyone unhappy and bring down morale. If someone isn't comfortable in their working environment, they are not performing to their best, and it reflects negatively in their manner and demeanour!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Nobody is there to make the Store Manager accountable now they've done away with People Partners, they can join in on the bullying without repurcussions.

Sherwoodforest

@lucgeo i would of thought a lets talk is ahead of the game myself without an investigation or lets talk to person bullying first as its only 1 sided at that stage,how could a manager respond without proper investigation first,

lucgeo

No a " let's talk" is ahead on the game in the fact that it is classed as an informative meeting, therefore a colleague and manager can discuss the problem, and iron out any creases.

A lot of the time it boils down to miscommunication between colleagues,six of one, or just tit for tat!! A nip in the bud can save loads of wasted time and unnecessary negativity!
I had one good personnel manager, who used to work with me...as he said, sometimes his whole day could be spent with just a " he said, she said" petty waste of time!
Another was a sausage incident...where a staff restaurant colleague,who'd not received any cover all day for a break, was seen by super sleuth bum licker manager eating a sausage!! It was a Saturday, busiest trading day, and they spent 4 hours on a disciplinary meeting with manager, me, manager note taker, and a senior manager regarding the suspected non payment, and consuming on duty, of a 20p sausage  :-X
Personnel manager came on duty, read them all the riot act...sent the staff restaurant colleague home early fully paid, and had super sleuth manager put in the staff restaurant to serve for the rest of the day!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

General Thorn

lucgeo your comment just reminds me of how Tesco policies and managers are so wrong with what the real priorities are.

In my eyes, the fact that the colleague had not had a break was the most important issue here but of course managers, who in my experience think they are all Inspector Morses, turn everything around to blame the colleague.

Also to prioritise taking that amount of people off the shop floor on a busy day for a sausage is ridiculous! Unfortunately I've witnessed the same kind of thing, a much respected colleague picked up one cola bottle (pick n mix) which had fallen to the side and should have been wasted. They had not been for a break in a long time and ate said sweet.

A full disciplinary went ahead on a Saturday with a senior manager from another store also present and the colleague narrowly managed to keep their job.

Surely a let's talk would have sufficed, I would say this was bullying from management, making mountains out of molehills is an old saying that fits this perfectly.

King1999

Considering they let thousands walk out of stores daily definitely.

btblackbird

Thanks for all info, will let friend know.

Hibobhi

Company really shouldn't have got rid of personal managers, they really stopped so much s*** that's commonplace nowadays.

lackofinterest

Quote from: lucgeo on 12-06-22, 08:56PMNo a " let's talk" is ahead on the game in the fact that it is classed as an informative meeting, therefore a colleague and manager can discuss the problem, and iron out any creases.

A lot of the time it boils down to miscommunication between colleagues,six of one, or just tit for tat!! A nip in the bud can save loads of wasted time and unnecessary negativity!
I had one good personnel manager, who used to work with me...as he said, sometimes his whole day could be spent with just a " he said, she said" petty waste of time!
Another was a sausage incident...where a staff restaurant colleague,who'd not received any cover all day for a break, was seen by super sleuth bum licker manager eating a sausage!! It was a Saturday, busiest trading day, and they spent 4 hours on a disciplinary meeting with manager, me, manager note taker, and a senior manager regarding the suspected non payment, and consuming on duty, of a 20p sausage  :-X
Personnel manager came on duty, read them all the riot act...sent the staff restaurant colleague home early fully paid, and had super sleuth manager put in the staff restaurant to serve for the rest of the day!!

:D  :D  :D  :thumbup:

lackofinterest

Quote from: General Thorn on 13-06-22, 12:10PMlucgeo your comment just reminds me of how Tesco policies and managers are so wrong with what the real priorities are.

In my eyes, the fact that the colleague had not had a break was the most important issue here but of course managers, who in my experience think they are all Inspector Morses, turn everything around to blame the colleague.

Also to prioritise taking that amount of people off the shop floor on a busy day for a sausage is ridiculous! Unfortunately I've witnessed the same kind of thing, a much respected colleague picked up one cola bottle (pick n mix) which had fallen to the side and should have been wasted. They had not been for a break in a long time and ate said sweet.

A full disciplinary went ahead on a Saturday with a senior manager from another store also present and the colleague narrowly managed to keep their job.

Surely a let's talk would have sufficed, I would say this was bullying from management, making mountains out of molehills is an old saying that fits this perfectly.
some managers favourite pastime is making mountains out of molehills and senior team are even worse >:(

King1999

Quote from: Hibobhi on 13-06-22, 03:10PMCompany really shouldn't have got rid of personal managers, they really stopped so much s*** that's commonplace nowadays.

Totally agree and I was never a big fan of them.Just seems like there's   a constant under current of c**p going on daily instore.

VladPutin

Quote from: lucgeo on 12-06-22, 08:56PMNo a " let's talk" is ahead on the game in the fact that it is classed as an informative meeting, therefore a colleague and manager can discuss the problem, and iron out any creases.

A lot of the time it boils down to miscommunication between colleagues,six of one, or just tit for tat!! A nip in the bud can save loads of wasted time and unnecessary negativity!
I had one good personnel manager, who used to work with me...as he said, sometimes his whole day could be spent with just a " he said, she said" petty waste of time!
Another was a sausage incident...where a staff restaurant colleague,who'd not received any cover all day for a break, was seen by super sleuth bum licker manager eating a sausage!! It was a Saturday, busiest trading day, and they spent 4 hours on a disciplinary meeting with manager, me, manager note taker, and a senior manager regarding the suspected non payment, and consuming on duty, of a 20p sausage  :-X
Personnel manager came on duty, read them all the riot act...sent the staff restaurant colleague home early fully paid, and had super sleuth manager put in the staff restaurant to serve for the rest of the day!!


Reading that last paragraph warmed my cold, black heart.  >:D

Mark calloway

What do you do if its the manager doing the bullying? The SM thinks the sun shines out of his backside and never deals with complaints.  In fact he's been seen ripping letters up and binning them. The bullying manager has had over TWO DOZEN grievances in against him but only 5 are officially on file.

oldfashionedplayer

take photos of the stuff, hand it in, if it doesn't resolve after going through SM and area personnel manager, then ask with yammer about a contact for bullying not being resolved, they'll immediately start looking to contain it and sort the issue...

lucgeo

Then you put in a grievance against the SM! Once it's presented to the PP, it is taken out of store, the SM or any other manager are disallowed from approaching the complainant(s) to discuss it!

A group grievance would be better, especially if, as you say, there have been multiple grievances made but not acted upon?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk