News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 07:04AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,128
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 408
Total: 410

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wacko2021

:D What about express shift leaders? Good luck. Turnover will be even worse than it is now.... Retail is a dead market and if they offer redundancy a lot will take given the current climate and all the jobs out there

penguin

Cant see anything being done with express shift leaders as someone will still need to run early and late duty shifts everyday.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

VladPutin

Quote from: lordadmiral on 08-09-21, 02:38PM
Dotcom for everyone ;D?

Dot Comedy should have been shut down years ago. Factor in the cost required to actually deliver the goods and they barely make a profit. They're practically a Loss Leader.  All they do is make the stores look untidy and get in the way of customers and other workers.

Totot

Extra cost, that the key for this.
For example, product A that cost £ 1 to get in to the shop, with 5% expected gross profit margin. apart of cost of operation, there will be cost of product let say 1%, not real number but just number for illustration.

Then this home delivery that supposed to get a new customer, that supposed to be customer from other supermarket but majority our own customer that end up not going to physical shop.

Meanwhile extra cost of product after all the cost up there minus selling risk ( risk of item become unselable after selling due to refund etc) consist of sunk cost and planning in the beginning, any infrastructure, cost of leasing, cost of product after the product enter the shelf, cost of product to get delivered to customer home, cost of risk after selling, and cost of capital compare to just selling from the shelf, hence some regular customer just move to buying online.

Then combine the increase of online selling and from the shop selling, online will increase, shop selling will decrease.

If a product A total cost when it touch shelf, plus all the cost above for online increasing between 2% to 10% that make margin profit significantly slower, and reduce the selling from  shop that cause by availability,taken by online selling, what kind of business management is this?

But again, the same with our gov, these people act like a bunch of kids who never do their homework and learn properly, so when the exam come, they cheat, look at other kids exam, even if the kid whom they copied the exam,  just make things up, but for the as long as the paper not empty and to justified them of their fat paycheck, who cares if the company financial going down and need to cut pay and benefit from staff who work on the floor.

RocketRonnie100

I agree with the above, however where will all this end.

Surely there is a point where you can't cut anymore in store without it looking more of a bomb site than it does already.

The people who are running the show should wise up and get real.

whatajoke2019

I can't imagine they'll be happy enough until staffing levels are akin to the German discounters... but that won't be enough for them. At this rate customers will be unloading wagons, taking in deliveries and opening cases themselves  ;)

lucgeo

They'll never become like the discounters whilst they allow their top heavy senior managers to remain, and continue their "do as I say" style management!
Aldi have their store manager work alongside their colleagues...not leaning on a fixture with their phone stuck to their ear or chatting with other senior team! Never seen an Aldi manager walking about with a phone...they have a headset which they communicate with! You never see any staff just standing chatting on the shop floor either!

A few years back after my shift, I was doing my weekly shop in Aldi, still in my Tesco uniform. They had a big wig visit of three suits, all dressed identical. Whilst in the packing area, they approached and asked me why I had chosen to shop with Aldi rather than in my own Tesco store?
I told them, I couldn't afford to shop in Tesco, as even with the staff discount, they were too expensive!

Now you have Tesco advertise Aldi price match, on random products. Really...then why is your 200g Italian wild rocket salad £1...and Aldi 47p?? Eh?? Eh?? That's over a 100% mark up on the comparison price of just one product!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

alf

I'd argue the last thing you want Store managers or senior team doing is packing out.

Being paid several times the GA rate to do GA tasks is inefficient as hell. And while I get the idea of "we're in it together", watching a store manager pack out crisps making 4 (or more depending on seniority, store type etc) times the money I get, doesn't really make me feel "valued".

I think it boils down to if senior team spend significant time doing non senior team tasks, you don't need senior team, or at least not as many. It'd seem Tesco with the recent structure changes agrees with this, but for the moment at least Tesco seem unprepared to spend the money to make the cuts i.e. the soft structure change nonsense.

RocketRonnie100

I have to say again I agree with the post's above.

All the store managers do is call each other to gossip, about what I don't know as they hardly say hello to the "normal" colleagues.

My store manager spends most of his day on the phone in the car park after he rocks up at about half nine and then disappears at about half four! On Saturday's he might rock up at 7am to do a 121 with the poor night manager who's been in since 20.00 the night before and the night manager leaves at around 10. Then he'll knock off at about three.

How this sets an example or is on any level with any other food retail outlet is beyond me.

If they have say 4 superstores within 15 miles of each other. Boot out 3 store managers and let 1 worry about all 4.

They have no relevance left, unless like the above poster said about Aldi. Muck in roll your sleeves up and get involved with your team and show some backbone.

If they hear their boss is coming in it's panic stations for the whole store. However if they know what time the boss is coming.. all of a sudden the chequebook is out and overtime is spent like there's no tomorrow.

It really does beggar belief!

newguy20

I don't mind the SM getting their hands dirty and helping filling.... when it is stupidly busy on a Saturday afternoon and everyone is under pressure or it's Christmas or whatever... but if you had a SM who spends hours every day filling and facing up then there's obviously something not right.

forrestgimp

Our store manager turns up at 9.30 and goes home at 3pm every day

RocketRonnie100

How do they get away with it @forrestgimp?

King1999

We've got one like that ....... love how with all this restructuring zero is actually getting any better.

forrestgimp

No idea but thats what he does.

penguin

Nothing changes does it, had a store manager like that about fifteen years ago, his reply when someone suggested he might try being in store after 4pm sometimes was "look mate my badge says store manager, for the avoidance of doubt that means I do what I please and you do not question me" and what became of said SM you might well ask, he got promoted and now is really high up in the company and working at head office.

NightAndDay

Hmm. The trend I seen, unless you're related in some way to some director, have a degree or put 20 years into the company, you don't go past SM.

Redshoes

Many people fail options as they think it's more money to do the same job. Pitching in to help when it's extra busy, when the delivery is late, when the delivery is much bigger than expected is fine. Day by day filling by managers is not only not allowing managers to do the job they are paid for but it's taking away jobs from those who may want or need them. Would you rather have a fellow colleague working next to you or a manager, I think everyone would vote for another colleague.
Some stores are very top heavy with managers and as such the job they have to do is smaller than it should be. The soft structure came about but it was a bit of a non-event. All it has really done is give managers a new title and has not replaced positions as people leave. Some roles are enormous and others are tiny, this should have been sorted as part of the structure change but it was talked of but never happened. The extra near me has three GM managers but only one checkout manager. It has a PFS and a services manager, on part time hours. In some of the superstores it moved the Team Support to Off Till roles at the same time as giving the checkout manager more areas to manage. The idea is that the managers move round and change roles and I get the idea behind this but I can't see it working in practice.

lucgeo

And there's the crux to it all  8-)

The management structure is too top heavy! Paying senior managers a high salary to do what? They spend so much time in meetings, that happen to always take place in the Costa?

There's the morning handover meeting (30 mins) approx, followed by the 10am MOC meeting (30 mins ) approx, then managers break (30 mins) approx..followed by the 11.45 am rumble meeting (15 mins ) approx...followed by managers 1pm lunch break (60 mins ) approx...so up to now, from a usual 8 am start, in the first 6 hours, almost half of it has been used in meetings, to discuss what??? The rest of the time they're yapping on their phones!

The point being exactly that...for every senior manager salary, where they don't work stock, would pay for 4 GA's on the shop floor...and don't get me started on the useless poster partner!! Like a spoilt child, sitting with their abundance of coloured pens, highlighters and stencils, for hours on end, drawing pictures to go on the walls, supposedly to uplift morale! Then throws a wobbler, should anyone actually ask for help!!

It was always the system in the past, that managers would be moved around departments every 18-24 months, that's how they learnt the knowledge to progress, and enable them to run a store, as they knew how each department was run! It was a Tesco core value ( anyone remember them?) "sharing the knowledge"

Now it's mainly only the GA's who know how to work their department using a PDA, and that's usually by trial and error, as staff training is non existent!

The checkout manager's role is the most overloaded and unfair, hence why other department managers fight tooth and nail not to cover it! At one time the manager had 3-4 full time runners, or more depending on size of store, and was only responsible for checkouts and cash office. They are first in line for abuse from the customers if the queues are long, first in line for the GSM rant, if they go into red fir IDQ, and first in line for arguments from other section managers about poaching their staff for red calls!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

RocketRonnie100

The management structure I agree is way too top heavy. They do spend most of their time in meetings gossiping and talking rubbish and then come out with a great idea to implement to little or no staff on the shopfloor, the idea is usually pie in the sky anyway.

Meetings again are an absolute waste of time. Team5 should be a five minute update then move on. The waste and shrink meetings are also a farce. Plus another meeting at 16.00 after "rumble" which goes on waaay to long because guess what... everyone's on a checkout! So the early managers should of gone home which goes on till about 17.00.

The best bit though is doing a walk round with the poor night managers who stay on an extra hour to mooch round the shop picking up on things they've missed, then after walking round for an hour or so the senior team show up to walk around the shop AGAIN, then the store manager comes in to walk around AGAIN! What a total waste of time. Then the other managers turn up to get walked around too.

Thank god the PMs have left. The most useless waste of money and space. Who would guard the pot of highlighters and frowned like their pet had died if asked to do a duty shift.

I think lots of managers have left StessedCo because it's not worth it anymore and they end up despising what they first of all enjoyed which was the customer interaction and now it's all meetings and a beating stick, I can get why they have left.

Then you have the old managers that have been in the same role for decades on more than 30k who do absolutely nothing and get away with it plus have NO clue about the new systems etc.

The company is on a downward trend and I see no way back unless drastic action from the top is taken.

NightAndDay

The moment you start seeing monkeys in suits on the shop floor is the moment you know the business is an inefficient operation.

The reason the discounters are thriving is because they know the only strategy that needs to be implemented in supermarket retail is the BOS strategy (Beans on Shelf) and they know full well you don't need the cast of Fraggle Rock acting as managers to implement it. The big 4 has lost its way and the cattle that shop there are finally seeing that not only is the grass greener on the other side, it's significantly cheaper to.

The moment you start paying some unqualified monkeys in suits to grunt and throw feces at each other in the Costa cafe and engage in vitriol to the hard working bottom line is the moment that the realisation becomes apparent that in all likelihood, someone in the business strategy meeting has done flumped up.

penguin

Could not agree more, you never go into Aldi or Lidl and encounter a load of managers, one or two at most, Tesco is way to top heavy in terms of instore structure, and I am not one of the hate all the managers brigade you get on here but the stories about managers having four meetings a day and sitting in costa are dead right, in the last superstore I worked in I would say until we got a new S.M just before lockdown you would be lucky to find a manager not in a meeting or a conference call, or in costa with other managers having an "informal meeting" as they called it, came as a shock to them when the new S.M arrived as he was one of those who had worked his way up from GA over the years and had no time for sitting around and having endless meetings, yes at times managers will need to attend them nobody has an issue with that, but four times a day, is a farce to be honest.

Ginyv

Wow! As a manager in the process of moving to this new structure without team leaders I would like to point out that if you honestly think our job is easy then please take it! We are meant to have 5 .... 5!! Managers in a twilight shop thats about have a 10 van dot com operation... we are all on our knees under so much pressure that we just can't cope with that we are all thinking of ether leaving or stepping down. We all care about our teams so please don't brush all managers with the same brush

NightAndDay

We're not saying all managers jobs are easy, but some are definitely easier than others. As we can see from the comments in this thread, there's numerous cases of senior managers constantly in Costa for informal meetings.

What needs to happen really is to get rid of the lead team layer of management and have the Store Manager actually managing the TMs.

RocketRonnie100

Quote from: Ginyv on 25-09-21, 11:34PM
Wow! As a manager in the process of moving to this new structure without team leaders I would like to point out that if you honestly think our job is easy then please take it! We are meant to have 5 .... 5!! Managers in a twilight shop thats about have a 10 van dot com operation... we are all on our knees under so much pressure that we just can't cope with that we are all thinking of ether leaving or stepping down. We all care about our teams so please don't brush all managers with the same brush

My whole point from my post above is that it isn't easy, it isn't easy due to the amount of time spent in meetings that have zero affect on the day to day job of looking after a team. The team are diluted elsewhere on to a till or picking Dotcom anyway so the slack has to be picked up by myself. There isn't anyone able to get the jobs done on the 1 hour walk round plus 3 subsequent ones afterwards.

The amount of time discussing endlessly SBA figures and each dept for 30+ minutes in an MOC meeting on top of Team5 which is over 30 minutes as well (twice a day) is overkill.

When you try and say hey isn't this a bit ridiculous you're being "negative". If only they can see the light of what's actually happening, but they won't listen to feedback because it's the way it's being done here.

The pressure is the worst I've ever seen in 20 years at the company. It's got to the point where it's almost funny that it has become like this. Maybe it's just the way my store is run by some deluded cult leader aka the store manager and his henchmen who are also brainwashed by this thinking.

The disgusted look you get from the senior team when you want to go home after 12 hours with maybe a cuppa and a bit of toast for a break. It's not sustainable.

If you're REALLY lucky you get 2 days off together. I have Thurs off and Sunday, Weds is normally a late duty and Fri is normally an early duty so cheers for that! Its not a day off it's recovery. I more or less dread it now.

The discounters may have it right. I don't know. However I can't see this lasting in this current form for more than 2/3 years. Something has to change.

Oh and welcome to the forum LOL I'm new here and I love listening to the REAL world of StessCo and what others are going through.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk