Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:06PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 284
Total: 287

Time off - dependent ? Or compassionate ?

Started by dfl, 01-03-21, 07:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

I have a very sick relative for which i have been caring for since around start of covid epidemic,  helping with toileting, personal care etc, administering meds, etc. This relative is now on palliative care at home (and few days ago allowed home after caught covid whilst in hospital for other serious issues, 14 days isolation was completed 1st) with likely just a few days to go and i need to know what i'm entitled to time off wise to be there for the last few days of their life, and also as a seperate question rules on leave after the unfortunate happens which looks very likely.

My manager is anything but the compassionate type so does anyone know the actual rules on this.

Relative has been very close to the family (aunt/uncle, i'm being vague for not wanting to have employer figure out who is posting), close enough as in stays next door and has also took a lot to do with my younger daughters upbringing.

DFL

Katarn2000

I'm really sorry you're going through this. Here is a copy of the compassionate leave policy thing.

"Time Off: Compassionate Leave
We want to support our colleagues when they are faced with a personal problem that requires them to take some time off work â€" such as time off to look after someone who is terminally ill, coming to terms with a personal tragedy or additional time off needed following bereavement.

Who decides if I can take compassionate leave?
If you feel that you need a period of compassionate leave, you should discuss this with your manager. When a period of compassionate leave is given you should discuss and agree with your manager the amount of time that is needed and, where appropriate, arrange to keep in contact with your manager. If you agree to come back to work on a certain date and then don’t feel ready to return, you should contact your manager to discuss the options available.

How much time can I take?
The amount of time off required will vary widely depending on your individual circumstances and the reason why you need the time off. In the majority of cases we would expect this to be for a short period of time, however in more complex or serious situations your manager can agree a period of up to three months. This will be confirmed to you in writing.

After which alternative’s such as a lifestyle or career break should be considered.

Will I be paid for any of my leave?
Compassionate leave is usually unpaid, but in the first instance your manager will consider options for allowing you a paid period of leave such as taking holiday, or other practical arrangements to best support you, for example shift swaps or making up hours.

In exceptional circumstances your Lead People Partner or People Business Partner may agree to full or part payment of compassionate leave of up to a week.

What will happen when I come back to work?
Depending on the circumstances and how long you’ve been off for your manager will have a conversation with you when you return to work to make sure you’re fit to return and whether there is anything further we can do to support you."

Katarn2000

For after the unfortunate:

"Time Off: Bereavement Leave & Parental Bereavement Leave
Bereavement Leave
When someone close to you dies it is usually a very painful experience.  It’s emotionally draining and often you have practical duties to perform, especially if you’re responsible for funeral arrangements or an executor of the will.  You may also find that you need to support other family members who have been affected by the death.

How much time can I take?
Your manager will talk to you about the amount of time off you need and they will take your personal circumstances into consideration, to make sure you get a reasonable amount of time away from work to support you during this difficult time.

There is no set limit to the amount of time you can take off for bereavement leave, as it will depend on your individual situation, but as a general rule we will pay for five days (pro rata) bereavement leave (10 days pro-rata for Parental Bereavement Leave).  Any time taken off after the initial five/ten days  will normally be processed as unpaid bereavement leave.    In exceptional circumstances your Lead People Partner/ People Business Partner can extend payment for this leave at their discretion. 

This leave can be split into days or half days so that it is as flexible as possible: you should discuss this with your manager so that they can arrange any necessary cover.  When you are on leave you must keep in touch with your manager so they are aware of your circumstances and so that you can discuss any request for additional leave.

If you learn of the loss of someone close to you part way through your working day, you should notify your manager and then take the rest of the day off.  If you’re not at work when the bereavement takes place, you need to call your manager to let them know what has happened and if you’re not coming to work, as soon as you can.

If you take additional time off as sick leave as a result of bereavement then the sickness absence policy and process will be followed.

Is bereavement leave limited to immediate family members?
Under normal circumstances we would class immediate family as spouses, partners, parents, in-laws, siblings, children and grandparents, but we understand that not everyone has the same family situation, and therefore bereavement leave will be assessed on a case by case basis depending on your individual circumstances.  Discuss the situation with your manager who will always take your personal circumstances into consideration. If you want time off to attend the actual funeral of a friend or relative, then please talk to your manager about it.  Under normal circumstances the time off will be paid, although your manager may ask you to make up the time, or change your hours or shift to accommodate it.

Would a colleague be entitled to bereavement leave when they have experienced a miscarriage?
We recognise that losing a child before they are born is an incredibly traumatic experience.  Should you or your partner experience this, your manager will support you by offering bereavement leave.  (Should the still birth or miscarriage occur after the 24th week of pregnancy, you will be eligible for Parental Bereavement leave which is explained later during this policy).   If having taken this period of leave you feel that you require further support, you should discuss this with your manager who will be able to agree a period of unpaid bereavement leave.

What will happen when I come back to work?
Depending on the circumstances and how long you’ve been off for your manager will have a conversation with you when you return just to make sure you are okay and find out how you’re coping.  We understand that you may not want to talk about what has happened and if you don’t want to that’s fine â€" we just need to make sure you are okay and understand if there’s anything we can do to support you.

What additional support is available?
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is there to help you during difficult times; the support line is free and confidential to all colleagues and their families.  The number is 0800 316 9337.  As well as counselling, the support line can provide support with family matters, inheritance and wills, and manager the sale of a property.

In addition to the EAP there are a number of external organisations who also offer support, please see the useful links section at the back of this guide.

Parental Bereavement Leave
From the 1st April 2020, in the unfortunate situation that a parent loses a child under the age of 18 they will be supported with ten days (pro rata)  Parental Bereavement Leave.

This leave is for parents, primary carers including adopters, foster parents and guardians or relatives who have assumed parental responsibility in the absence of a parent.  This applies to both parties of mixed and same sex couples.

The ten days (pro-rata) is paid at contractual pay, after this time, should any further leave be required, this can be taken as unpaid bereavement leave.

The ten days (pro-rata) should be taken within 56 weeks of the bereavement and can be taken as individual days or whole block weeks.  Taking the time over a 56 week period can help support the bereaved parent or primary carer to take some of the leave to cover a birthday or the anniversary of the bereavement.

Whilst the legislation on Parental Bereavement leave does not cover Northern Ireland, only pays at the statutory pay value, and requires 26 weeks’ service to be eligible;  it is our company policy to offer this to Northern Ireland, and to pay it at contractual pay from the first day of employment. The absence is coded as Bereavement Leave on the payroll system. (Parental Bereavement Leave on Work & Pay).

Parental bereavement leave is also offered to parents and primary carers who lose a child through still birth after the 24th week of pregnancy. (In this situation the person who has given birth is still entitled to their full maternity leave, more information can be found in the Maternity Policy on Colleague Help."

All the best.

dfl

Thank you for the responses so far, very helpful and very much appreciated
DFL

Kingkong2015

All down to managers discretion, so if I were in your situation i'd Challenge it unless you don't get on with them then it's them paying you back but sure that doesn't happen, right!

Mark calloway

I've got an important hospital appointment with my son later. I'm work nights and usually take a holiday the night before as I don't like driving 30 miles aftera shift,the last time I did I fell asleep at the wheel. They haven't let me have tonight off but I know I'm gonna be up literally all day. IF I ring in later,what's the best thing to say?

DHardy

Domestic - unless you have alot of history using domestic as your reason for absence.

Also, if you have already asked for tonight off and they said no, whatever you ring up and say they will challenge as they didn't give you it off originally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk