News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-04-24, 02:21AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,429
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 550
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 423
Total: 424

Managers pay review meeting 2017

Started by Woody44, 28-06-17, 07:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me2015

You misunderstood! It's not ok, far from it, from screwing over nights to long term colleagues with reductions in premiums, the pension being downgraded and now further cuts while the board get huge salaries and add ins!  I've been here for over 20 years, never have I felt this way.  I put grievance in about last pay review, have done the same with this.  I may be lucky have the job I have, but it's been earnt through years of working my finger to the bone, with achieving green/met reviews and nowvto be told although I've done my job to a high standard, I get no pay rise!

This needs to go further, from the HO staff losing their jobs in England and Wales, to the DC's in England cutting workforce, and back again to the stores, where the actual money is made, and the real customer service level is acquired!

It's wrong, immoral and I for one will not take it laying down my friend!!

Quote from: Northernstorelad07 on 29-06-17, 04:56PM
Me2015 it's ok to say that however at the end of the day wether you are a part time GA
Or team manager do you think it's right to be treated in this way by Tosco ? And accept that it's ok because we get to keep our jobs for another 6 months to a year ? I am grateful to have a job but I have some self respect. And when you have been in a job for a while and kept to all the rules to have your contract ripped up and told sorry not any more. We could say a lot of staff not just management should think the same just Kay down and take it ???

nhnr10

Reminder that this is the Manager Pay Review thread. For all the colleagues entering into the debate mentioning about their pay rises and premium cuts remember that these exact premium changes affect all managers too so we're all in the same boat.

The only difference is ALL colleagues get the 3 stage pay rise over the next 18 months. I, for one, as a long serving, vastly experienced, high performing manager have had no pay rises for the last 5 years. Due to being Sunday contracted I will have actually had a 15% PAY CUT over a 2 year period. No base pay increases to offset that unfortunately.

formerscoboy

If you feel your high performing and have had NO pay rise for 2 years surely you need to decide if you want to work for your current employer. Noone has a devine right to a pay rise, cost of living rising or not. Its simply supply and demand. I left tosco having 3 Green reviews about 8 years ago for a competitor as i felt my pay was poor. I left the competitor 3 years ago as all managers had no pay rise for 2 years irrespective of performance. I now earn 15k a year more than i did at tosco. I enjoy my job more but i do work a lot harder for it.
With the impending rises to national living wages the pay gap between colleagues and dept managers will shorten. I imagine a store running in excess of 6 dept managers will see further redundancies as drastic continues to cut cloth. If you feel undervalued i would personally look elsewhere before the job market is saturated with dept managers with supermarket experience. 

Thisismyusername

Can I ask what your job role is now formerscoboy? Maybe I need to take a similar approach :p

Northernstorelad07

Quote from: Thisismyusername on 29-06-17, 09:38PM
Can I ask what your job role is now formerscoboy? Maybe I need to take a similar approach :p
👍🏻

Hardwork no payrise

I too have emailed dave and matt, this is something we all need to do, our voices need to be heard abive is a well scripted email draft guys please copy and paste it and send it on

Hardwork no payrise

Quote from: formerscoboy on 29-06-17, 09:13PM
If you feel your high performing and have had NO pay rise for 2 years surely you need to decide if you want to work for your current employer. Noone has a devine right to a pay rise, cost of living rising or not. Its simply supply and demand. I left tosco having 3 Green reviews about 8 years ago for a competitor as i felt my pay was poor. I left the competitor 3 years ago as all managers had no pay rise for 2 years irrespective of performance. I now earn 15k a year more than i did at tosco. I enjoy my job more but i do work a lot harder for it.
With the impending rises to national living wages the pay gap between colleagues and dept managers will shorten. I imagine a store running in excess of 6 dept managers will see further redundancies as drastic continues to cut cloth. If you feel undervalued i would personally look elsewhere before the job market is saturated with dept managers with supermarket experience.

Irrespective of your comments when some store managers have recieved a 45% pay ruse this year how can it be right green performing team and lead managers have recieved no pay rise this year and potentially for years to come

jedi

..this posted on ourtesco in response to Drastic's Job Cut Carnage  :o

Could you clarify what model you are aspiring to, one week its Morrison,Sainsbury etc you compare us to , the next statement you compare us to the so called discounter models that even the most naive employee knows is nothing like our business model, it seems you are choosing which ever one suits the decisions you are making Is it any wonder there is mixed messages and a severe lack of trust and confidence in what is happening at Tesco, especially since there still is a huge pension black hole, shares are still not recovering (which you say was your main priority) and the fiasco of the recent pay review just announced where colleagues have a 5 month window July to Nov that is not in any review (has these months just disappeared) there cut in Sunday premium is deducted from the 3.79% per annum increase, the blindsiding of mangers with their pay review where most are receiving not even the 3.25% cost of living increase there has been since their last pay review, thats if they got anything at all. As again any long and successful service has been punished with real term pay cuts. Any clarity on any of the above would be greatly appreciated as I know no one around you will ask you for us , so I will on behalf of your disillusioned work force.

Expressdude2016

Quote from: Hardwork no payrise on 29-06-17, 10:05PM

Irrespective of your comments when some store managers have recieved a 45% pay ruse this year how can it be right green performing team and lead managers have recieved no pay rise this year and potentially for years to come

No they received up to 45% BONUS this year not payrise.

formerscoboy

Quote from: Thisismyusername on 29-06-17, 09:38PM

I work for booker!

formerscoboy

Quote from: Hardwork no payrise on 29-06-17, 10:05PM

As I said if you don't feel valued by your employer at some point you need to look elsewhere??

redders

Formerscoboy, you must be looking at this potential merger with some unease.

Hardwork no payrise

So today I handed my grievance to my store manager for failing to adhere to my contract around my performance related role, that Tesco brought in 12 years ago, both Matt and Dave Lewis have received my emails showing my disgust at not getting a pay rise while store managers and above all received their pay rises, a lot have shared their displeasure about not receiving pay rises despite meeting their objectives set and receiving a met annual review.

Could I ask please that we all hand grievances to our store managers and ensure both Dave and Matt get emails from us all, if we don't all stand up to this then we may well spend a fair few years not receiving our deserved pay rises. Lets make our selves heard.

OpShunned

Hey Hardwork, good luck with trying to get a mere handful to back you up. Tosco created an I'm alright Jack and stratified workforce under that putrid partnership which is little good for those at the bottom.

Even this site appeArs to harbour elements of those who have been content to wave goodbye  to colleagues as long as their boat wasn't rocked. Maybe its just a sign of the times with working class people believing they are no longer under slavery if they have iohones, fake designer handbags and can be entertained into oblivion by X Factor on their smart tvs.

Just look at the venom the equality pay thread created. Instead of fighting a cause for everyone, elements chose to defend their own nest for fear they may lose out themselves, or at least undermined. That area of the business will get zero of my cold potted p**s of sympathy 😀😀

Try getting hold of hair net to see if he or his bitch will second your objection? 

OvaSees

I don't think grievances on this issue will go anywhere. Tesco needs to reduce it's management costs by some 20% to be market comparable in terms of salaries (it actually skews that market by paying a lot of them more than pretty much everyone else by running at 20% management costs in an industry that runs at 16%).

It also needs to reduce management costs to drive efficiencies - Tesco's sales per employee are worth around £200k per year whilst at ALDI they are worth £330k. Even Sainsburies generates more than 10% more sales per employee than Tesco. That sits with management, Tesco is encumbent and comparably inefficient.

This will roll on and on, Senior Team and SMs will not be immune either as they are currently taking the lions share of that inefficient cash return - you can erode Team Manager costs by constant restructuring and consolidating roles as well as putting a ceiling on salaries, but to reduce the costs of Senior Team and SMs you must shed them and/or buy them out.

Arizonarugby

Both Aldi and Lidl pay more to their managers
(and customer assistants), the main difference is there are few of them and they cover the whole store (not just one department).

The issue with Tesco is that there is a whole fleet of work level 2 - 5 based at Daventry that dont manage teams and have very input on the business.

These people are meant to be business improvement and business development managers, but in terms of innovation they are a million miles behind the completion

formerscoboy

Quote from: stockrotateman on 30-06-17, 06:09AM
Formerscoboy, you must be looking at this potential merger with some unease.

Yes and no, there are lots of upsides better prices for my customers, potential use of tesco systems and distribution network. Risks are what dl decides to do with it. However I would say part of the deal is for the booker ceo charles wilson to get a seat on the board and he is a seriously great operator but also fair.

OvaSees

Quote from: Arizonarugby on 01-07-17, 07:22PM
Both Aldi and Lidl pay more to their managers
(and customer assistants), the main difference is there are few of them and they cover the whole store (not just one department).
Very true, and it's why they are significantly more efficient - they employ less people so pay them more but expect a lot more in return. The biggest difference lies in how lean their structures are - if anything Tesco must be looking at the point of having Senior Team and large regional support functions as well what point there is in paying its SMs as much as it does. This population will be hit very hard at some point in the future, once its served its purpose of delivering the rest of the bad news.

redders

I don't believe a Aldi store manager is on the equal wage as a tosco extra manager, and if you look at what the Aldi store manager does through out their day, which company is getting there monies worth. in my opinion senior team and Tosco store managers are for a rude awakening.

Arizonarugby

You'd be surprised how little a team managers in retail
earn (teeco ) earn , the difference between a Aldi manager and a Tesco manager is in the region of 10k.

The difference is that there may only be 1 or 2 running the store as opposed to 9 or 10. Obviously, there is a difference in sq footage of the stores and complexity of the product ranges.

Tesco have replicated Aldi's / Llidl's (lean) structure in distribution, so it won't be long before they do so in retail

JL

Alot of the managers are just overpaid fillers and high paid admin staff. In my store they are constantly getting staff upset off. The SM seriously needs to have a word with some of them. Some of them don't deserve the pay they are on let alone a pay review. They would not survive outwith Tesco.

Red75

I am a Customer Assistant, but I have some sympathy for mangers point of view. Tesco are being forced into giving it's lowest paid retailing staff a 5% a year rise for the next 3 years because of the rise in the minimum wage. Unfortunately, staff at higher pay grades are in some ways paying for this. I don't know how much a department manager earns at Tesco, I'm guessing 24-26k a year. I understand that a lot of managers have mortgages and families and expenses commensurate with there incomes so no pay rise will bite.
One point I would mention about the managers at my store, I work in the grocery department on the twilight shift, previously on nights. There is a real talking culture, whereas managers on the night shift would assign themselves an aisle and usually spend getting on half the night working stock. On the twilight shift managers don't always assign themselves an aisle and seem to spend a lot of there time talking. There seem be endless manager meetings that go on in my store. I think this change in culture. on the twilight shift,  is due to all of the managers coming from a customer service background, it seems that most of the have been promoted for being nice, and getting on with the senior management rather than any particular competence.
New staff are not trained properly or told what is expected of them due to managers own inability to set any sort of example.
I do think that Tesco managers, senior grade and above, are overpaid and that department managers are paid a rate comparable with Tescos competitors even after years of small or non existent pay rises.
Tescos shop floor staff are amongst the worst paid in the retail sector, even with recently pledged payrise and Matt Davies's claim that we are paid a package in the top quartile of the industry.
Certainly, at my store, some of the department managers seem over employed, they don't leave. They are overweight, do very little and lack enthusiasm. I honestly believe they are bed blockers, preventing more capable people taking their places. If they genuinely pursued the most capable people to go on the management course, I don't think they would because they would be shown up.
I apologise to the hardworking managers of Tesco, because I have encountered some excellent managers in my time. Unfortunately, in some stores, the good  managers seem to be in a minority.

redders

Red75, agree with you about the team managers, some are decent and honest because they are not on much more then a full time ga on nights. But as I said in previous posts it doesn't look good for them. The senior team and especially the store managers within Tesco there highly paid and comfortable world is coming to an end.

Arizonarugby

Quote from: JL on 02-07-17, 03:19PM
Alot of the managers are just overpaid fillers and high paid admin staff. In my store they are constantly getting staff p**sed off. The SM seriously needs to have a word with some of them. Some of them don't deserve the pay they are on let alone a pay review. They would not survive outwith Tesco.
JL why do you think that managers need to stack shelves - could it be that Tesco have cut everything to the bone and set unrealistic / unachievable KPI's twilight fill is a prime example - I for one don't want to go shopping when having to dodge people replenishing the store and a can understand how frustrating it must be for the replen teams to see the area they've just filled destroyed by someone looking for the best code date (etc)

Red75

Completely agree Stockrotateman, It's clear there are too many managers and I'm sure they're soon to be in the sights of the boards 'streamlining'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk