News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 12:58AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 275
Total: 275

Think 25 and facemasks

Started by OH, 26-06-20, 11:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightAndDay

It's not the occurence, it's the reason why, you can't have a law saying that facemasks must be warn inside a premises and the training saying to ask customers to remove their facemasks with no reference to the new legislations bylaws.

alf

Why on earth would you reference an exemption, the entire point of the exemptions is that they are, well, exempt from the change.

You're intent on complicating a simple matter, to which  you've fabricated this made up situation involving a  made up strawman of an employee, who for some made up reason feels they legally can't ask a customer to remove a covering for age verification. Further more your made up employee is so incompetent that they decide to defy not only training but logic itself, and process the sale regardless.

Hell I'd point out the post by "Fun girl " that revived this topic made no mention of masks or coverings, there was another later post by "Bigbadbob", but that can be sumarised as a simple f*** up on the employees part.

It's a silly situation that bares no similarity to reality, face masks have been mandatory for a month now and tesco among other retailers have sold millions (rough guess) of age retricted items, and unless my store is an utopian exception checkout operators are managing fine.

Honestly you're so obsessed with waffling on about the employee tribunal, that you're making up reasons to get them involved. I mean christ the post by "Fun girl" literally states they recieved a final warning, and you jump in telling them to get the ET involved for unfair dismissal, like what.

Nomad

Thank you alf, I stand corrected ref: mask removal for identification.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

alf

No problem, I'd also point out there is also a general reasonable excuse type clause for mask removal, probably not an issue given how lax the enforcment is, but it is there.

NightAndDay

The arguement stems from the the fact that an employee can't be disciplined if they haven't received the relevant training, I have been informed by a Store Manager in Express that there are think 25 posters in store which do say to remove the face mask if asked for age verification purposes highlighting the covid pandemic, in which case makes this whole arguement a moot point.

Though to complicate the issue even more https://www.betterretailing.com/news/tesco-bans-staff-from-asking-customers-to-remove-face-coverings-to-verify-age/ 😂😂😂

gomezz

Could face recognition technology, while known to be wildly inaccurate for identifying individuals, be trained to indicate a degree of certainty that the perceived age of someone is either above or below 25 and prompt the cashier to ask for ID if needed?   Would remove the need for subjective judgement by the cashier which is impossible to gain-say in practise.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

dotnochance

Why would Tesco spend hundreds of millions on that kind of system?? Pointless

penguin

Not only that but people will over rule it, I could not care less what any system thinks if I'm on a till its my head on the line if I sell to someone under age so will still ask and refuse as I see fit.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Redshoes

Legal training begins again next week. We do think 25 training twice a year, year in and year out. Even those who work in areas that prevent them going on a till do this training. It is what it is but as far as masks go the brief says we can ask customers to remove masks to verify ID if needed, a customer can refuse but if we do so we politely refuse the alcohol. It's that simple.
Going back to the colleague who did not follow the think 25 policy. It was stated that they had 17 years service so that's 17 years of doing Age restricted sale training twice a year. The colleague just asked the mystery shopper their birthday and then allowed the sale. The mask part is irrelevant, they did not have ID, it was asked for but sale was allowed on very a very flimsy basis that has never been accepted.

lucgeo

Can I ask if the training around think 25 has been tweaked at all regarding removal of masks on the self serve?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Redshoes on 03-09-20, 03:56AM
Legal training begins again next week. We do think 25 training twice a year, year in and year out. Even those who work in areas that prevent them going on a till do this training. It is what it is but as far as masks go the brief says we can ask customers to remove masks to verify ID if needed, a customer can refuse but if we do so we politely refuse the alcohol. It's that simple.
Going back to the colleague who did not follow the think 25 policy. It was stated that they had 17 years service so that's 17 years of doing Age restricted sale training twice a year. The colleague just asked the mystery shopper their birthday and then allowed the sale. The mask part is irrelevant, they did not have ID, it was asked for but sale was allowed on very a very flimsy basis that has never been accepted.

There are think 25 posters in Express stores highlighting the fact that staff can ask customers to remove their face masks for age verification purposes with reference to the covid pandemic legislation, whether this is in the training or not is now not as big a deal as this part of the process is displayed in store where everybody can see.

Jc

New to this line of work and terrified I’d get caught out ! The masks leave it a lot harder to judge
What do test purchasers generally buy?
I presume more cider or vodka? Or would they every use the likes. Of  processo?

londoner83

They could potentially buy any age restricted product sold in store.

Jc

Welshie

New legal refresher '21training  is now online and does go over asking someone to briefly remove mask for age restricted sales .

forrestgimp

The issue I have always had with think 25 is the implementation. The say and the training manual states use your own judgement and if YOU believe someone looks under 25 do the whole routine.

Fair enough you might think until you are dragged in for a meeting because you made a mistake.

M.....That person was under 25 why didnt you ID them?

CA....Because I thought they looked older

M...Not good enough they look younger to me have a refresher course make another mistake and it couold go further.

So either we use our own judgement, ask everyone who shops for ID or ask the manager to approve every transaction because as it stands they are setting us up to fail every single time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk