Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 10:40AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 542
Total: 542

Bad words and the social media policy

Started by surlaroute, 10-09-23, 11:20PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim up north

So what is the point people are trying to get across about resigning rather than get sacked? What difference is there pension wise?

BritishRacingGreen

If attempting to become re-employed, far better to have resigned than admit to being sacked.

FarmerFred

Quote from: grim up north on 14-09-23, 02:59PMSo what is the point people are trying to get across about resigning rather than get sacked? What difference is there pension wise?
In some professions (such as the Police) being sacked for gross misconduct can affect the pension settlement for defined benefit schemes (e.g. final salary type schemes). The reality is that even then it's rare for such things to happen.

penguin

Being sacked has no effect on any Tesco pension, this is another of the old Tesco myths that still does the rounds, a bit like everyone has to do Boxing or New Years day, or three lets talks results in a warning being issued.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: penguin on 14-09-23, 05:53PMBeing sacked has no effect on any Tesco pension, this is another of the old Tesco myths that still does the rounds, a bit like everyone has to do Boxing or New Years day, or three lets talks results in a warning being issued.
It will have the effect that there will be no further employer contributions - L and G will continue to maintain the pot - with charges unless it is transferred elsewhere.

NightAndDay

Can confirm the above with a slight explanation to "maintain", they actively manage your pot so though you will still pay an administration fee (the rate being reduced compared with when it received active contributions and dependent on pot size) the pot is in a Tesco investment growth fund.

Between 2015-2022 my pot grew by 59% from capital gains, I'd say that's worth the small monthly admin fee paid to L&G.

Also if you decide to transfer your pot, in a few cases you'll lose your employers contribution, unsure if Tesco is one of those but I wouldn't risk it.

The Guvnor

Quote from: grim up north on 14-09-23, 02:59PMSo what is the point people are trying to get across about resigning rather than get sacked? What difference is there pension wise?
In some cases, some companies may/will decide to take back the money that they have paid into your personnel pension pot, however they are not allowed to take back your contributions. Obviously this will have a significant impact on someone's retirement planning.

Someone I worked with at a company after Tesco, had been caught defrauding the company he had worked for for over 25 years and he was dismissed. The company also clawed back their contributions to his pension. I believe that companies are allowed to do this.

Better to walk away with your head held high. If you resign, it is the last piece of paper on your file and helps with a future reference for employment.
The Guvnor

Dungivnatoss

NightAndDay

No, a company can't do that, the only way they can is if you transfer your pension to another provider, employer contributions remain otherwise.

grim up north

So resigning or being sacked has no affect on the pension? Other replies have said but employer contributions will stop. Am I missing something here? Where do you get a pension from a company where the company pays into it even though you don't work there(for whatever reason)?

MerchMan007

Yes , Grim Up North , you're missing something . The company's contribution to your pension stops when you leave (for whatever reason) but their previous contributions remain "in your pot"

grim up north

Quote from: MerchMan007 on 15-09-23, 02:47PMYes , Grim Up North , you're missing something . The company's contribution to your pension stops when you leave (for whatever reason) but their previous contributions remain "in your pot"
So being sacked or resigning makes no difference to the leaving?

penguin

Quote from: The Guvnor on 14-09-23, 08:53PM
In some cases, some companies may/will decide to take back the money that they have paid into your personnel pension pot, however they are not allowed to take back your contributions. Obviously this will have a significant impact on someone's retirement planning.

Someone I worked with at a company after Tesco, had been caught defrauding the company he had worked for for over 25 years and he was dismissed. The company also clawed back their contributions to his pension. I believe that companies are allowed to do this.

Better to walk away with your head held high. If you resign, it is the last piece of paper on your file and helps with a future reference for employment.
Unless the OP is under investigation for this, then any reference will state left while under investigation and would not re employ.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

Quote from: grim up north on 15-09-23, 12:46PMSo resigning or being sacked has no affect on the pension? Other replies have said but employer contributions will stop. Am I missing something here? Where do you get a pension from a company where the company pays into it even though you don't work there(for whatever reason)?
An employers contribution is made at the same time as your own and is a proportion between 4.9% - 7.5% of your 4 weekly earnings matching whatever proportion you contribute, if you contribute  4.9-7.5% of 0 then the employers contribution will be 0. All previous contributions remain in investments forming "the pot".

surlaroute

update: lol, I'm cracking up how this thread turned mostly into a discussion about pensions. I love it also. But yeh, further developments. They apparently lost my personnel file lol. Also the only? (apparently?) manger capable of taking my disciplinary on this situation is on holiaday for 2/3 weeks so we all have to wait.

Oh yes, and they lost my personnel file. I'm just giddy all the time now but my reaction to this was just like "oh" while I knew it was important. yeh, they lost it. so there's no record of my past wrongs. so my nice manager was like "this might work in your favour" - it took me a while for me to catch up. the last "final warning" on that record that's now lost was because I called this company a "shambles".

lucgeo

WHAT!! They've lost your personnel file!! That is a serious misconduct of the store and the store manager, who is the one responsible as the buck stops with them!

Your personnel file should be locked away, and only managers can access it for your records pertaining to the meeting in hand, it's not just for perusal by anyone!
Your file contains all PERSONAL details about you, including medical history which is data protected!

You should contact your most senior area personnel officer...(I don't recall their job title?) but their email address should be made available to you, to put in a store grievance insisting on an investigation as to why your PERSONAL details are MISSING!!

Also there are set timelines for investigation and disciplinary meetings, and if the manager is not available for an ambiguous 2-3 weeks then the delay should be agreed by you, and the set amount of time agreed noted with a future date agreed.
If you haven't agreed to a postponement, then it will run out of process, and there's nothing they can do. The meeting can start, but then closed with "no further action" as it's out of process, and can not be referred to in any future disciplinary meetings.
The Process and timelines should be in your policies for people online?

You will get a lot of "nice" managers, some are genuinely so, but at the end of the day they will be acting on their seniors instructions to keep their own job, so this ambiguous future date could well be a ruse to give them time to find your file, or maybe this missing manager is the one who last had it and knows where it is??

Did you have any witness to this conversation with the manager that your file is missing? If you're not a union member, then you can have your chosen colleague to sit in with you...YES they can speak and ask questions in the meeting as they are your chosen representative, but they can't answer for you, and YES they can take notes!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

oldfashionedplayer

I'd definitely be making a complaint in regards to your data being lost, as lucgeo says, it's a huge breach for losing confidential information. Only certain roles have access to it, so a thorough investigation needs to be done to find out where its gone and whether any other people's files are compromised... The company will literally put someone's head on a spike and out the door for that with it being data,its a lot harder to cover up than the other cr*p.

As for the final warning, they are live for 52 weeks then are removed, so you. Could be just given something similar or whatever again, but information from policies and how to conduct just mainly mentions about if a colleague wants to take their holiday while under investigation they can post-pone the investigation until after, or the colleague can post-pone their holidays..

So should be similar for manager, so gives you time to plan ahead and prepare any statements or any apologies etc.

grim up north

Quote from: surlaroute on 17-09-23, 10:52PMupdate: lol, I'm cracking up how this thread turned mostly into a discussion about pensions. I love it also.
I thought after 25 years service(and if you've paid into the pension for all that time), you'd be very interested if there's a difference between getting sacked or resigning to your pension

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: grim up north on 19-09-23, 05:22PM
Quote from: surlaroute on 17-09-23, 10:52PMupdate: lol, I'm cracking up how this thread turned mostly into a discussion about pensions. I love it also.
I thought after 25 years service(and if you've paid into the pension for all that time), you'd be very interested if there's a difference between getting sacked or resigning to your pension
My thoughts exactly @grim up north
Thought it a bit hard faced mocking those offering advice.

surlaroute

Quote from: grim up north on 19-09-23, 05:22PM
Oh I'm not uninterested. It's just that after 25 years of this (especially the last 5-10) I've pretty much lost my mind, and/or maybe I'm trying my best to see the light side of it all. (And to the other person who went as far as interpreting this as mockery, um, wow, ok?)

BritishRacingGreen

surlaroute

so last update to this (and I hope someone can displace this being on the front page of this site in the near future cos that wasn't expected either)... I still have my job after a very short disciplinary meeting. It basically came down to the loss of my personnel file - if they still had it, with my previous warnings, they made it sound like, I would've been out. So I got lucky. And I wish I could've had the gumption to argue the point that, an infraction such as this shouldn't have come so far, but, to be honest, I was scared of losing my job so I took the hit and today I'm back at day one. But, that's why I started this thread I guess. The social media policy is way too broad and sweeping, the fact that any breach (which is open to interpretation) is an immediate final warning/dismissal situation is ridiculous.

madness

to me i could say im a member of the Dictator youth as long as i never mention i work for tesco anywhere online. otherwise tesco have zero hold on the s*** i say online.
You've done the right thing not taking it fuhrer, er further in my opinion. lol

surlaroute

Quote from: madness on 08-10-23, 10:50PMto me i could say im a member of the Dictator youth as long as i never mention i work for tesco anywhere online. otherwise tesco have zero hold on the s*** i say online.
Quote from: madness on 08-10-23, 10:50PMto me i could say im a member of the Dictator youth as long as i never mention i work for tesco anywhere online. otherwise tesco have zero hold on the s*** i say online.
I mean wow, but as long as we all know what we're talking about. but please. somebody start a new post asap.

Sherwoodforest

@surlaroute surely you could question how your store is managing personal data if theyve managed to lose your file,data breach and all
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

surlaroute

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 09-10-23, 12:09AM@surlaroute surely you could question how your store is managing personal data if theyve managed to lose your file,data breach and all
I might, eventually, ask if there are updates. If they ever cared about my initial concerns (about they way they deliver the giftcards compared to the other celebration bumps, and then about the loss of a colleague's personnel file) as much as a colleague saying the f-word cos they were a little bit mad. I'm slowly  and grudgingly learning "it's Chinatown, Jake..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk