News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 12:59PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 530
Total: 530

Can you be contracted to 60 hours

Started by Tazd9t9, 28-07-23, 02:12PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazd9t9

whatajoke2019

The most you can be contracted to is 36.5 hours.

You can work up to 60 hours/week (incl. breaks) but no more, if you've opted out of the working time directive.

Think there may be some different regs. for drivers/warehouse colleagues but Colleague Help is your best place to look.

FarmerFred

Tesco policy is 36.5 hours for store based staff, warehouse staff & HGV drivers have a different set of rules.

Legally speaking, it's possible to be contracted for 60 hours subject to voluntarily opting out of the 48 hour maximum average working week depending on the job type & whether night work is involved. Without context it's impossible to say for certain whether it's legal in the scenario you might have in mind.

Working time does not include break times https://www.acas.org.uk/working-time-rules

tablet

Pharmacist can work 36, 39 , 42, 44 hours.
Contracts depend on opening hours.

However this will change when opening hours reduction plan is rolled out

lucgeo

If you've signed to say you wish to opt out of the 40 hour contract...Average working hours are calculated over a 'reference' period, normally 17 weeks.

This means you can work more than 48 hours one week, as long as the average over 17 weeks is less than 48 hours a week.

Reference weeks can be different for other professions such as doctors whose 'reference weeks' are 26.

So if you're contracted to 60 hours a week, and the contract doesn't include paid breaks, a 60 hour contract would require you to be in the workplace for 70+ hours per week  :o
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Preacherpauly

Add some more detail to your post. Have you been asked to do 60hrs a week?

londoner83

Why would you want to do 60hrs a week? It's not promoting a healthy work life balance and you never know what the future will bring - you need to spend time with loved ones whilst you can.

BritishRacingGreen

barafear

Sorry to hijack this thread - it's vaguely related - but opposite end of scale.

Do Tesco have a minimum contract length? I hear 8 hours bandied about - but not sure whether it is "policy".

As an example, if a person is contracted to "let's say" 12 hours (with 6 of those on a Sunday) - would they be able to drop the Sundays (opt out) - and remain contracted to a 6-hour contract on the other day they work - or would they be expected to "increase their contracted hours" to meet any "minimum"?

Cheers.

Nomad

Unless you only work on a Sunday you can drop Sunday working, in doing so you must not suffer detriment, other than that of your own making (less hours = less money) as they are not duty bound to make up your hours.

They cannot dismiss you for exercising your legal rights.  Does not matter what the company rules are, the law holds sway over the situation.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

oldfashionedplayer

As above, you can opt out being that you have a 2nd day, however they aren't obligated on the future to give you it back either for removing it if you need it back like 6 months later, but yes, you can drop down to a 6 hour, it's actually become more popular to do just 1 day at Tesco  ;D

We currently have 3 doing just 1 day, 2 of them dropped down after Christmas as thry figured betterto work at other companies like boohoo or started their own business instead.

So if you want to, go for it. There was a comms piece a months back though that said managers shouldn't be asking people to increase their hours and thry are trying to make it more clear for interview stages that 12 or less is possible too but 16 hours is a guarantee for people that do want it on hiring as part of the new working agreement for more secured working.

lucgeo

Tesco job advertisement...
It's our policy to offer new colleagues joining us a minimum of 16 guaranteed hours each week, but if you'd like to work fewer hours (to a minimum of 12) we have opportunities for this too and would still love to hear from you.

The table shows the periods of time in the week we'd like you to be available to work – the availability windows. We will schedule your contracted hours within these times, and you'll have 3 weeks' notice of exactly when your shifts will be. We are happy to support flexibility for our colleagues, therefore if the times you're available to work match closely but not exactly to the times we are advertising, we'd still like to hear from you.

Yea, good luck with that  :-X

BritishRacingGreen

It's worked for me ... I know my hours and department presently until 1st September. My availability windows are of my choosing and my hours suit my work/life balance. Communication is the thing here ...

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: lucgeo on 07-08-23, 05:04PMTesco job advertisement...
It's our policy to offer new colleagues joining us a minimum of 16 guaranteed hours each week, but if you'd like to work fewer hours (to a minimum of 12) we have opportunities for this too and would still love to hear from you.

The table shows the periods of time in the week we'd like you to be available to work – the availability windows. We will schedule your contracted hours within these times, and you'll have 3 weeks' notice of exactly when your shifts will be. We are happy to support flexibility for our colleagues, therefore if the times you're available to work match closely but not exactly to the times we are advertising, we'd still like to hear from you.

Yea, good luck with that  :-X
It was definitely in a extra and superstore daily news a while back about it, I have it somewhere I believe, need to have a root around but they were told to stop pestering colleagues with it, just have to stand ground on it.

Morris999

Minimum amount of contacted hours as agreed by the union are as follows-

Joined before 31st October 2022 7.5 hours
Joined after 31st October 2022 12 hours

Nomad

You can't be dismissed for exercising your right to drop Sunday working.

Morris999, what if you joined ON 31st Oct 2022  :D  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

oldfashionedplayer

Aye you can't be dismissed for it, if you've been with company for 2 years atleast then you'd have a good tribunal  claim too if you were...

But yeah we have a few that don't do the "minimum 12 hours", even after the 2022 thing specified so don't worry about it to be honest, it's just something they aim to offer new employees for "job security".

happyharry

I'm due to retire shortly and have asked if I can just do a 9hr shift ( one of which I have already).
My manager says I can only work  a minimum of 16hrs - I've worked for Tesco for 10+ years.

lucgeo

Are you at retirement age?

If so and you informed Tesco of your intention to retire, you should have had your weekly contracted hours reduced by one fifth from six months prior to your last working shift, whilst still being paid fully for it. The reduced hours should have been mutually agreed between you.

Does this take you below 16 hours ??? How many contracted hours have you to work once the fifth is deducted? If it's not much above 9 and your remaining hours are below 16, kind of makes his stance nonsensical.

Any dropping of shifts or hours must be mutually agreed.

If you are full retirement age of 66 or above, combined with your length of service equal 80 years or over, you get to keep your discount card for life  :thumbup:

happyharry

I am actually retired already (didn't really want to give too much information). I only work 2 shifts so already under 16hrs. The shift I now want to give up is a Sunday.

lucgeo

Nobody has to work Sunday, you can ask to opt out of Sunday working.

Now the new contracts are a minimum 12 hours, not sixteen, however as you already had a contract before the changes, you could argue that as a case in your favour. No employee opting out of Sunday working should suffer a detriment because of this.

But what are we talking here...you sign an opt out form to give notice ( I think it's 4 week notice? ) of Sunday working. So now what are they going to do? Dismiss you? On what grounds? You ARE fulfilling your contract as you are working your Saturday contract hours. There'd be a lot of back and forth to state their business case of the 12 hour minimum! A very silly manager would make an issue of it considering you are a Saturday worker!
There is no single day of 12 hour contracts, but is there a chance you could increase your Saturday hours to meet them halfway if pushed?

To be honest, I'd stand my ground and just opt out of the Sundays as is my right, and then argue that the minimum 12 hour contract isn't an option on a single day shift.
I can't see how they would impose this argument anyway? Lots of people drop Sundays and the policy states  there's no obligation for Tesco to find you those lost hours on another day, so vice versa!

DON'T sign anything unless it's agreeable to you!
DON'T agree to anything, especially if it's on a vague verbal promise basis from your manager, get them to put it in writing!

happyharry

Thank you lucgeo, much appreciated.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: lucgeo on 17-09-23, 09:18AMNobody has to work Sunday, you can ask to opt out of Sunday working.

Now the new contracts are a minimum 12 hours, not sixteen, however as you already had a contract before the changes, you could argue that as a case in your favour. No employee opting out of Sunday working should suffer a detriment because of this.

But what are we talking here...you sign an opt out form to give notice ( I think it's 4 week notice? ) of Sunday working. So now what are they going to do? Dismiss you? On what grounds? You ARE fulfilling your contract as you are working your Saturday contract hours. There'd be a lot of back and forth to state their business case of the 12 hour minimum! A very silly manager would make an issue of it considering you are a Saturday worker!
There is no single day of 12 hour contracts, but is there a chance you could increase your Saturday hours to meet them halfway if pushed?

To be honest, I'd stand my ground and just opt out of the Sundays as is my right, and then argue that the minimum 12 hour contract isn't an option on a single day shift.
I can't see how they would impose this argument anyway? Lots of people drop Sundays and the policy states  there's no obligation for Tesco to find you those lost hours on another day, so vice versa!

DON'T sign anything unless it's agreeable to you!
DON'T agree to anything, especially if it's on a vague verbal promise basis from your manager, get them to put it in writing!
as you say you can opt out, when opting out and it brings you under, it's just ignored, the information says about sundays that the 12 hours doesn't apply if you opt out of it if i recall?  so for anyone who wants to opt out don't be fearful of "12 hours minimum", can definitely go under, we have plenty who are in ours.

lucgeo

Quote from: Morris999 on 07-08-23, 08:51PMMinimum amount of contacted hours as agreed by the union are as follows-

Joined before 31st October 2022 7.5 hours
Joined after 31st October 2022 12 hours
Actually I've just noticed this from Morris999 post above...there's your answer  :thumbup:

happyharry

I've quoted this to my manager.
He says that if you were employed before the 31st oct 22 they cannot make you work more hours if you're already under 12. But if you now ask to reduce your hours under 12 you won't be able to.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk