News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu

Sickness/Holiday question

Started by Chambers21, 09-09-21, 11:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chambers21

Sorry - me again. I have been off sick the past 2 days with tonsillitis accompanied with a fever (barely able to get out of bed, can't eat at all, can barely even drink water) and I feel doubtful I will be able to make it in tomorrow (last shift before my weeks holiday starts on Monday). If i don't go in tomorrow, will my holiday now be treated as sickness? I really can't deal with losing anymore money. Had it not been near physically impossible I would have forced myself into work this week, this has literally been the most ill i've ever felt in my life.

Nomad

I believe your holiday booking is cancelled and you are entered as off sick, you can't be off sick and on holiday unless you are taken ill while on holiday.  If I'm wrong no doubt I will be corrected.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Chambers21

That seems ridiculous. I am likely going to be fit for work by the day of my first holiday. So I basically have to force myself to go in tomorrow, still ill and likely contagious, or my Holiday is cancelled and added on to my sickness %?

Biscuits

You can keep your holidays as holidays. Phone in sick for tomorrow, then on Sunday phone back to say you're fit to return work, but are on holiday. You'll be coded as holidays.

Nomad

The situation maybe manipulated to some degree by an employee, the positions people find themselves in are not all the same.

An employee, who has a very low absence %, maybe sick and happy to have their holiday allowance to rebook for when they are well enough to enjoy them.

Another, with a high absence %, may not want to increase their % and will take the weeks holiday even though they are unable to enjoy it and perhaps even lose money and not go on a paid trip/vacation.

It's never a one size fits all, like most things.  ???
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

ForCryingOutLoud

Your holidays will remain as holidays unless you request for them to be cancelled since you are still sick.

horatiocain

You can take holiday while off sick  but you must tell them so before you're due to take the holiday.

Standard practice is that holiday is cancelled because you're sick  but if you want to take the holiday you can.

valleyboy

@ horatiocain

Please be careful with your advice.

You can not replace sick leave with holiday leave.

You are entitled to a minimum holiday entitlement by legislation.  This must, without fail be time to chill.

Any additional holiday entitlement can be replaced with sick leave with prior fit to work from yourself. Without the fit to work acknowledgement your sick would superseded a holiday

Redshoes

Do you have a fit note? If so does it run into your holiday.
Old way was that you had to ring in to say fit to take your holiday but the new way is that you have to ring in to say unfit to take your holiday. If you have a fit note that overlaps into your holiday dates it will cancel out your holiday. If not, the holiday stands unless you say unfit to take.

oldfashionedplayer

The new way you speak of is different from our store, as personal experience I was off sick then holiday, took holiday came back they put it down on review meeting as process not followed

Policy still stands that you have to ring in or contact via any form of contact if the lines are all down or go in and tell them.... Least that's how it ended up for me and my challenges on it..

Redshoes

Staying in contact is a different issue. You should do that but if you don't you should be coded as holiday unless your fit note cancels out those dates.

horatiocain

Check page 24 of the policy,  unless its changed page, as the employee/patient you have the ability to override the fit not for periods and take holiday, or work.

The idea being the holiday may actually be a holiday while off sick.

I'd you're off sick due to stress, what better way to recover than taking your holiday.

I personally tell everyone to not take holiday encase firstly they always screw the wages  secondly they're off sick.
But sometimes people need the holiday pay, and they want to take the holiday.

It is under legislation the employees choice.

Redshoes

I never said holiday could not be taken during sick. The point was what would automatically happen.
If someone has run out of sick pay they may opt to take holiday for the money side of things.
You don't need to stay in the house for all the time you are off sick either.

Andydoe

Been refused a days holiday on the 18th December saying no holidays allowed after the 15 December not even my personal day can anyone please advise me

Sherwoodforest

Usually holidays aren't booked that near to Xmas, but if its 1 day then I can't see a problem them accommodating you (unless you only work 1 day and just want an extra long break) but there's always shift swaps etc, but no written policy that I'm aware of saying you can't have holiday in December.
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

lucgeo

This is incorrect   >:(

There are no freeze weeks, as every union rep will tell you! Obviously the Xmas period is busy, and request for time off more restrictive, but there can be no blanket ban for everyone in the store being denied from a certain cut off date!

Now the personal day, was initially recognised as a Christmas shopping day, and it was written in the staff handbooks, (that used to be given out every year to colleagues to advise on holiday booking rules), that it was to be taken in December, ideally the latter week before Christmas, but it could be used as another day through the year in agreement with your manager.

Have you looked on the Tesco peoples policies regarding the rules on holiday booking? Ask your union rep, or even 'phone the area office for clarification on the rules!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

oldfashionedplayer

Actually it's locally based restrictions that must be applied to everyone if their blocked... People polices does say that and colleague help questioning will also get the response that stores will set restrictions around busy periods which is with their right.  And personal day MUST be agreed with your manager, so they use that c**p too.

Just as its within your right to go oops, seems I'm sick this shift... Or "my child/partner is ill  so need to take care of them".

Not to mention there is still the fact of Covid isolation from work (not required to stay at home though only recommended)

So if you've got a positive test lying around or know someone there's that...

My advice - December = Sick calls, don't bother asking for it off.

NightWorker2022

If I've had the 3 days off on the payday week, does that mean it'll come out of this Fridays pay or next paydays?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk