News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:34PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 301
Total: 307

Changes to T3sco Metr0

Started by whatajoke2019, 17-05-21, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatajoke2019

Stumbled across this on Our To5co:

I want to let you know about some changes we're planning to make to our Metro format. Over the last few years, we have seen our customers' shopping habits change and we have taken the decision to re-brand all of our Metro stores to better reflect this. Our Metro format was originally designed for larger, weekly shops, but today nearly 70% of customers use them as convenience stores, buying food for that day.

To ensure our offer continues to serve the needs of our customers, 89 of our Metro stores will re-brand to Tesco Express. The remaining 58 Metro stores will have their Metro signage removed and be referred to as Tesco Superstores.

These stores will receive new fascias over the coming months but will continue to trade normally.

Ibanker2

Defo more restructuring particularly for those stores going to Express format

Ibanker2

How do you post a new topic? Thanks in advance.

[mod]Ref: starting new topic. Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

trivi

Paving the way for team managers to be removed from the former metros

NightAndDay

Will be interesting to see how this effects superstores, I belive that currently (or at least the case a few years back) sales in Metro contributed to superstore sales, not convenience, with the divide being more in favour of convenience than superstore, this should alter the data favourably for convenience when it comes to which makes the most sales out of superstore or convenience.

There's a lot of politics in massaging the figures and setting up data to make superstores seem more crucial to the company than they are. With the exception of sales patterns during covid, express and dot com are the way forward.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

forrestgimp

From reading it all they are doing is taking the Metro sign down and replacing it with a different one.

Hardly a massive change.

Dougall

That's all it is and express prices

Vinny1985

As normal we have not been told anything in our shop.  Should have all been told internally on Tuesday.  See if anything is said when I start at 11am.

Safeway

What will happen to the metro store managers? As they are work level 3? And a site manager is work level 2? But more importantly, do you think the one team manager that was in the metro will go?

[admin]Please only ask same question in one topic.[/admin]

Rad

Busy express stores have a team manager so I doubt metros would lose theirs.

NightAndDay

Not in any I've seen or been in and I've worked in more than 10 Express stores, every Express as far as I'm aware has the structure SM -> Shift Leaders -> Step up Shift Leaders -> CA/SC/Admin.

Only 1 I know has a DM, but that's it, busier ones used to have SRMs but they got displaced by SLs along with Deputies.

Safeway

I work in a metro that's about to be changed to express, I am currently the only team manager and have a store manager, I've been told the only change will be the name and the prices. But do you think my team manager role will go?

NightAndDay

Metro shop floor spaces are much bigger than Express, even the small ones, The sales of a very low taking Metro store from what I remember was about £250-£300k a week, in comparison to a high taking Express, that's typically 2.5x the sales.

I think due to sales and staffing requirements, even with the brand change, logistically they can't like for like replicate Express's structure into these demoted Metro stores.

I think because of that, any immediate structure change wouldn't be a smart move. I do think something will be done though, probably akin to more SLs on the floor to replace current TMs, but that won't come until later.

penguin

You may be right given the space issue but could tesco just block off part of the shop floor in the demoted express stores to bring them more in line with a normal express, and therefore one assumes staff cutbacks could quickly follow, but its all up in the air right now, however I do feel there is more to all this than just a name change, maybe not in the coming weeks but in the coming months, seen this sort of thing far to many times in Tesco.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

If they did that, then it woundn't just be a brand change like they're suggesting, if they limit the shop floor space to bring it in line with Express, they would limit sales, but they would also have an abundance of staff, it wouldn't be cost effective to have a Metro headcount in an Express sized shop, meaning unless they're transferring them out somewhere else, it'd be a lot of people losing their jobs. A high taking Express store has about 30 members of staff, the majority on part time hours, A low taking Metro has over 100.

Theverysneakysquirrel

The store I work in has been told we will be now be express and suddenly right hours right place has started again. Have been told so many hundred hours need to be lost.
I knew it wasn't just a name change, just an elaborate way it seems, for them to cut staff.

NightAndDay

Called it as per my last post.

Saying this though, not sure how they can get around not paying redundancy outside of transfers to other stores.

Totot

All of this are always about  cutting cost, because upper management got no skill to increase the sale, to fight head on on sales or expansions with lidl and aldi, meanwhile the mid and lower management often focus on how their shop looks good in the eyes (subjectively) and come up with some more silly idea without back it up on the paper with full financial analysis, of at least half baked financial projection for any changes.

Theverysneakysquirrel

They seem to be sidelining certain members of staff for transfers from what I've heard so far.

forrestgimp

NightAndDay

Quote from: Totot on 17-06-21, 02:37PM
All of this are always about  cutting cost, because upper management got no skill to increase the sale, to fight head on on sales or expansions with lidl and aldi, meanwhile the mid and lower management often focus on how their shop looks good in the eyes (subjectively) and come up with some more silly idea without back it up on the paper with full financial analysis, of at least half baked financial projection for any changes.

It's not so much lack of skill by upper management to increase sales as poor strategic vision that customers would replicate superstore shopping habits in them.

It would have made much more sense to further sub-categorise  Metro stores, broadly speaking, Express stores take in between 35-200k a week, Metros low 200s-£750k a week, superstores £400k-£1.5 million a week and extras £1 million - £4 million a week.

Just as there's cat 1-4 for Express Stores, there's too many superstores taking less than Metros formats.

forrestgimp

Why cant they just be called shops, what benefit does calling them metros or superstores or extras have?

Nomad

I'm with you, it's a SHOP.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Safeway

So do you think the one standing team manager will go? And the store manager role will change to an express site manager role?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk