Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

02-12-21, 12:50PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48359
  • Total Topics: 942
  • Online Today: 70
  • Online Ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Boxing Day  (Read 16015 times)

Carbqueen

Re: Boxing Day
« Reply #50 on: 16-09-21, 07:07AM »
Hi! I have a started a petition for tesco to give us the day off, please sign and share if you would like:)

https://chng.it/kvtDsXSh

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #51 on: 16-09-21, 09:00AM »
 8-) you don’t need to start or sign any petition…if you don’t want to work Boxing Day…you don’t have to…check your contract, where it states no colleague need work Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year’s Day…it’s on a voluntary basis only! It’s the colleagues who agree to work, that allows the store to open, so it’s down to your own store colleagues whether your store opens or not!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Carbqueen

« Reply #52 on: 16-09-21, 09:46AM »
Thank you for that, I will pass it on to my store:)

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #53 on: 16-09-21, 05:11PM »
Be interesting to see how many stores will be unable to open due to the staff being unwilling to work in them.

barafear

• Know All
« Reply #54 on: 16-09-21, 05:44PM »
I'd wager it would be very low because a lot of staff will be coerced - told it's part of flexi - or the usual Christmas temp arrangements.

I remember I applied for a job in a pub/restaurant many years ago - I was interviewed for the job around November time (it was a perm. position) - and at the interview I was asked whether I would work on Christmas Day/Boxing Day/New Years Eve/Day, with the implication that if I said no I wouldn't be getting the job.

penguin

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #55 on: 16-09-21, 06:29PM »
Agree with barafear, people basically get bullied or guilt tripped into working, especially those who for whatever reasons find it hard to stick up for themselves, the situation has been worse the last couple of years as in January 2020 a number of SM got the riot act read to them and lets talks for how short certain stores were of staff on Boxing day 2019.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #56 on: 17-09-21, 11:14AM »
I haven't worked a Boxing Day in 20 years, and I've no intention of starting now. After the madness of Xmas trading period - and the transport crisis will make it even worse this year - I need all the down time I can get.

CoffeeGate

• Regular Pain
« Reply #57 on: 26-09-21, 08:35PM »
I left Tesco after almost a decade last month. I’ll be off for 11 days over Christmas. Just thought everyone would like to know! Keep the faith people, there is life outside of this company and it’s so much better.

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #58 on: 27-09-21, 07:51AM »
With Morrison’s and Asda shutting this year there is no way mr tight pants Tesco is going to miss the opportunity to cash in that’s if there is any lorries to deliver the food.

Tesla

• Regular Pain
« Reply #59 on: 27-09-21, 08:34AM »
They’ll ask for a government bale out to get the shelf’s filled and the army will deliver the fuel. They don’t even pay competitive now when compared to other supermarkets never mind entry level roles in other sectors.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #60 on: 10-10-21, 10:23PM »
I work sun and Monday nights 10-7. Which ,if any ,nights can I rightly have off? My manager is saying I can't have the 26th off. She's refusing several of us because 2 are already off. I'm sure the policy says ANYONE can have the 26th off

Tesla

• Regular Pain
« Reply #61 on: 10-10-21, 10:25PM »
Mark Calloway

Sicky  :-X

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #62 on: 10-10-21, 11:00PM »
I would but I want paying.lol

Tesla

• Regular Pain
« Reply #63 on: 10-10-21, 11:50PM »
Mark Calloway

Take the full week then  >:D

Gizmo

« Reply #64 on: 11-10-21, 08:56PM »
Stated in term's and conditions of your contract that you cannot be made to work 25th or 26th of December also January 1st

bornfree

« Reply #65 on: 12-10-21, 08:23AM »
I may be wrong but as I understand it, Christmas, Boxing and New Year's Day bank holidays are different for nights. A decision is made as to which day those bank hols start on. So Christmas Day can start either on 24th or 25th for 24 hours, Boxing Day on 25th or 26th and New Year's Day either 31st or 1st. As a consequence, if your store chooses 24th and 25th for Christmas and Boxing Day, the night of 26th isn't then counted as a bank holiday and has to be worked if you're contracted to that day.
I hope I'm wrong because I'm sick of working so much over Christmas and we haven't yet been told what the store has decided about which days are bank holidays  >:(

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #66 on: 12-10-21, 10:05AM »
And I have always been of the belief that policy dictates, Christmas night shifts should be put to the night team, well in advance, for them to vote  ???

If this is still the case, and policy is not being followed, then I fail to understand how they can refuse a request for time off, if shifts haven’t been agreed by the team  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

oldfashionedplayer

• Regular Pain
« Reply #67 on: 12-10-21, 01:38PM »
I may be wrong but as I understand it, Christmas, Boxing and New Year's Day bank holidays are different for nights. A decision is made as to which day those bank hols start on. So Christmas Day can start either on 24th or 25th for 24 hours, Boxing Day on 25th or 26th and New Year's Day either 31st or 1st. As a consequence, if your store chooses 24th and 25th for Christmas and Boxing Day, the night of 26th isn't then counted as a bank holiday and has to be worked if you're contracted to that day.
I hope I'm wrong because I'm sick of working so much over Christmas and we haven't yet been told what the store has decided about which days are bank holidays  >:(

As with the post before me, nights are supposed to vote on it apparently early on in the year, never happened at our store so we say "since we didn't vote, we are calendar days, rather than how you work them out"  :D

bornfree

« Reply #68 on: 13-10-21, 09:06AM »
Interestingly the holiday policy for non-work and pay stores does state that colleagues will be consulted by management as to which 24 hour periods will be allocated for Christmas and Boxing Day. BUT the work and policy doesn't give this as an option. So I have absolutely no idea what the situation is for night staff. It would be good to know before our Christmas Holiday meetings take place, assuming they do!!

Tesla

• Regular Pain
« Reply #69 on: 13-10-21, 04:07PM »
Deliberately vague so that as many assistants show up when they don’t need to.

bornfree

« Reply #70 on: 13-10-21, 06:43PM »
Ok I think I've found the info for Night workers on Work and pay.

For night workers on the “Work & Pay” Payroll system, only the hours that fall on the actual bank holiday will be paid at the bank holiday premium.
For example: if a colleague was to work from 10pm on Friday 24th December, until 6am on Saturday 25th December, the first two hours of that shift would not be paid at the bank holiday premium (where a colleague works on both days, - the night going into and night coming out of a bank holiday, they would see no difference in the bank holiday premium they receive).

In terms of booking the night off and which day will be classed as the bank holiday:

For those colleagues on the ‘Work & Pay’ payroll system, the night going into the Bank Holiday will be used (for example on Christmas Day, the Friday night (24th December) into the Saturday will be the night the colleague can book off work using their bank holiday entitlement if they do not wish to come in).

So it looks like Nights have been allocated Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as bank holidays.

Scruff

• Regular Pain
« Reply #71 on: 27-10-21, 07:38PM »
Won’t they move this year because they fall on a weekend?
« Last Edit: 27-10-21, 07:54PM by Nomad »

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #72 on: 28-10-21, 05:36PM »
the goalposts will move to suit the company

LonelyBones

« Reply #73 on: 28-10-21, 07:16PM »
Yeah I’m really interested to know about the bank holiday changes this year. What are we thinking; nothing will be said or mentioned and we lose out on bank holidays?

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Can't wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #74 on: 01-11-21, 10:44AM »
you dont lose anything.