News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:07PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 308
Total: 311

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scanpickthrow

New structure is being pushed onto us now. Pressure is immense - all managers graded against proposed roles. Impossible to deliver expectations. Limited staff, limited overtime. We're at breaking point - won't be anyone left to run the store

adamski26

DRAMA QUEEN . . It is what it is . . It's going to happen to us sooner rather than later. It's no good not signing, not agreeing, involving the union or Prolonging meetings. Shift leaders are the new Duty mgrs and the new norm. Life goes on

Redshoes

All managers signed new contracts in our store and the only change is title. We have too many managers so no shift leads so managers are still doing duty shifts, but as I say no change. It will make a difference if we go down a manager as less to cover the duty shifts but if we go down two managers we get the shift leads. Once at that stage the workload gets less, not more. The shifts get better too as not opening and closing the store.

whatajoke2019

I'm guessing John Lewis must have been reading VLH-they are to axe up to 1,000 Managerial roles to 'simplify'. Sounds familiar  8-)

lackofinterest

simplify??? why do these companys lie? it's cost cutting to make more profit for the men up top!!!!!

expressman77

Any sustainable company regularly cut cost to increase profits and to stay in business.
A company that does not soon ends up like BHS or Debenhams.

whatajoke2019

Which is true.

However it seems to be that, lately, they cut costs on the shopfloor then announce someone new is joining the company at HO-whose yearly salary would pay to have feet on the floor...

lackofinterest

Quote from: expressman77 on 15-07-21, 07:10PM
Any sustainable company regularly cut cost to increase profits and to stay in business.
why lie and say "simplify" instead of saying "increase profits to pay the fat cats more"

lackofinterest

Quote from: expressman77 on 15-07-21, 07:10PM
BHS?? HE RAN IT INTO THE GROUND FOR HIS OWN GREED!!

alf

SOMEONE!!! NEEDS??? TOOOO?? LAYYY!! OFFFFF?? THE!!!! DRINK???

lackofinterest

whatajoke2019

The way they come out with some of this carp is laughable. It's so transparent it's about maximising profits for the head honchos.

Wonder how long it'll be before Te5co copy John Lewis and branch out into the rental market.

I can see it now... 'What do you mean you're late? You live right above us'   ;)

alf

Funnily enough with the structure of John Lewis the employees ( or partners if we want to be posh ), are the ones who stand to benefit from any improvement on JL's profitability.

sunshineman

lets be honest what we need is less anagers and more shop floor staff and more on tills. The amount of time i hear customers complain because there are not enough tills on.

I work in an extra, and we have too many managers.

lackofinterest

the reason they have so many managers is they are easier for the company to use and abuse. being on salary and having responsibilies makes it easier for the company to take the p**s. can't understand for the life of me why anybody would want to become a manager with this company. brainwashed????

spike_pkh

I love how so many colleagues say there is too many managers yet recently we had an issue in our store on night shift with no managers in. The shop was a bin in the morning with the exception of a few areas. The staff do the same thing every night yet most seem to not be able to function without being babysat.

oldfashionedplayer

Same could be said for management though, they do the same every day, but when you have an issue with a wage slip or try to book a holiday etc it's "how do I do this again?" and lots of f ups everywhere 🤔....... Yet they are paid more.. You'd think they'd know how to do the job too 😂.

Also colleagues may do the same work on the shop floor in a sense, but they are supposed to be "managed" so that days can take the glory of it all / can show off more
.. Treat staff better as management and staff will work better, pay staff a better wage and they'll work better.

1man2jobs

Surely if no managers were in store and only CAs then fire safety compliance and other essential h and s requirements were not being met and staff should not have been on site under those circumstances?

Anyway less divide and conquer and more empathy needed between roles I say

lackofinterest

Anyway less divide and conquer and more empathy needed between roles I say. i agree. if only certain managers held their side of the bargain

stockstaffreduction

Are there any Team Managers who refused the changes, now being told they have to accept them
or else?
would be interested to know.

VladPutin

Quote from: lackofinterest on 18-07-21, 11:02AM
Anyway less divide and conquer and more empathy needed between roles I say. i agree. if only certain managers held their side of the bargain

Yeah, that's not going to work. Frankly, I often have difficulty in remembering the people I interact with are, well, real. And not NPC's in a game I'm playing. >:D

Sunbeam

Quote from: Fringegirl on 01-07-21, 09:54AM
If you haven't signed you should contest that, as all three of us in my store refused the change and now we have the choice. I've been told they can't force you to sign off till and you have to be given the choice.

If you refused the change what choice were you given?

GasMonkey

With Amazon going down the route of staff less stores Tosco will be watching closely how that works out. They will then attempt to implement it into there larger stores staff levels will be brought down to a minimum. I Read an article recently about our previous head monkey (DL) and he is quoted as saying 24 hour shopping is a thing of the past he also said (Dot.Com) is the next big thing.

beentheredoneit

Quote from: stockstaffreduction on 21-07-21, 10:40PM
Are there any Team Managers who refused the changes, now being told they have to accept them
or else?
would be interested to know.
That's what I've been told now
if that was the case, why not say beforehand
if I was staying I would challenge but as I'm going, good luck to them
beentheredoneit

Fringegirl

Quote from: Sunbeam on 24-07-21, 03:39PM
Quote from: Fringegirl on 01-07-21, 09:54AM
If you haven't signed you should contest that, as all three of us in my store refused the change and now we have the choice. I've been told they can't force you to sign off till and you have to be given the choice.

If you refused the change what choice were you given?

I was given the choice of being Off Till, a cashier or if there was an available vacancy on the shopfloor. I'd just like to say that I've still not had a meeting since being given the choice after refusing to sign. And I am still continuing to be paid team support wage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk