Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:23AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 281
Total: 285

Drastically underpaid and nobody seems to care

Started by ihavequestions23, 12-01-21, 09:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ihavequestions23

Long story short, I had my bag stolen with my clock card so I had no way of clocking in, so I told the manager on duty straight away. He's my bosses boss, so I expected it would be fine. Then my manager returned and I told him, too. I was assured the hours would be put through. A week later, still no clock in card, and underpaid by over 40 hours. Went to my boss and sorted it out after looking through the correlation report. Following payday, I was paid for those missing shifts. But I was missing over 80 hours from that month, too. It took 6 weeks to finally get my new clock in card. I know it was over Christmas but it seemed way too long. I need that money and am now told there's only a certain amount of hours they can put through each month so I am likely to be waiting two more months to get my full hours. I was also due a 10 percent bonus on most of those hours which I now doubt I will if I have to wait two months to get them.

I've been doing well lately but this has really mentally set me back because I am a genuine and trusting person and I didn't expect all of my hard work to be for nothing. I already took a blow when my bag was stolen and my cards used, now to find out I'm not even worth putting in a few exceptions and getting a clock-in card within a decent timeframe, it's hurtful. I know it's not personal, but I do occasionally enjoy my job but now I can't stop feeling like mud on the bottom of their shoe.

But enough with the pity party. My main issue is my pay. What can I do about this? I will be getting another correlation report tomorrow but is there a way to get paid immediately? Or at least all hours on my next pay? I don't want to be waiting months to be paid what I am owed.

fscer

Your manager could of put your hours in manually. Plus a clock card only takes 1min to make.

Me2015

If they cocked up your hours despite your numerous conversations with boss and bosses boss, it is the responsibility of the store to ensure you are paid correctly for hours worked! 
Don't let the 'we can only put through x hours' BS fob you off, they can get a BACS payment made via payroll for a quick resolution, but clearly they trying to pull a fast one!
Tell them again you want your hours paid in full within the week, or you put a grievance in with the caveat that an employment tribunal would find in your favour for unpaid wages! Unauthorised Deduction of Wages is the line you need to give them!
Good luck

Batmanjo

Quote from: fscer on 12-01-21, 09:56AM
Your manager could of put your hours in manually. Plus a clock card only takes 1min to make.

Just ask them when they are going to pay you your Unlawful deduction of wages or would they rather you seek legal advice ? It would have taken 2 minutes to reprint your clocking card and your Manager is at fault here as they have not done their exceptions. Be strong stand up for what is yours and I would put it in writing.

chris9997

So are you a flexible worker? If not and these are your normal hours how have these been entered as surely there would need to be a reason code to enter.

Kieth_Lemon

I Suspect the line of "we can only put through so many hours per month" is because they'd have to explain why they were over budget for that month if they were to put an extra 80 hours through.

There is a limit to how much overtime can be put through as AdHoc overtime. Currently it is only possible to put through 23.75 hours a week. However, it would be possible to add more by putting it through as Sunday overtime and Bank Holiday time as well (23.75 hours for each). It won't go through correctly in terms of hours but the monetary value will be correct due to the premiums paid for Sundays and Bank Holidays.

A wage advance is also do-able but the problem with that is that you will lose approximately 33% on Tax and NI as it is an advance and Payroll 'don't/can't' be sure of the correct tax code to use.

As to the clock card, I don't know what its like in your store but if its anything like mine, a new clock card will have been made but not passed on to you by your manager. I've just received details for a new starter from 11 November today because the manager didn't hand out the paperwork needed despite me asking him every week and writing on the exceptions every day. Unfortunately, its now too late to ensure that the colleague is on the correct tax code and they will have to deal with HMRC directly.

NightAndDay

I believe everyone who worked at Tesco last year who is on under 50k a year (everyone except for cat 4 London Fuel Site SMs and above) is on the 1189L, BR or whatever the code is for married couples tax relief, We normally would be on the 1250L tax code but due to last tax years 14 pay period debacle I believe they've adjusted this by the lower tax free allowance this year.

There could possibly be very few on the HR tax code at Tesco, my last 2 payslips with them were such.

lordadmiral

1288M marriage allowance.

Big cockup with pay, mgr could easly pass note to wage clerk for manuall corection of exceptions or do it itself.
One think is annoying with heavy underpayment. They deduct your pension from NET pay instead gross one so you cant benefit from tax relief (if you qualify for it).

NightAndDay

I never understood pensions being deducted from net pay as that essentially means you'll be taxed twice (from the payslip at 20% and when you retire). Would be better off not having a pension in the scenario.

forrestgimp

So long as you can prove you worked the hours you have been underpaid then go to the small claims court, its easy, cheap and you are guaranteed to win. Tesco would have to show why they have underpaid you and refused to correct it and why that is a reasonable thing for them to do. Something they will not be able to do there is no reason not to pay you the company takes hundreds of millions a week and can not argue they are short of money.

Short story. A few years ago my mate was owed a couple of hundred quid this was back when compliance managers first made an appearance anyway every month he was assured he would get the money in the next pay packet. Needless to say it didnt happen so after 3 attempts (months) I as the union rep at the time got him the form which he duely filled in informing Tesco of his intention to take them to the small claims court (not called that now but essentially its the same) he included a paragraph that said they had 1 week to comply before he put the papers in, something you need to do to show the court you are giving the company a reasonable amount of time to comply.

Then he handed it into the personel manage (i would go straight to the store manager now).

Well..... It was funny. Inside 10 mins the compliance manager had been summoned and asked why his money had not been forthcoming much spluttering later it was agreed he would be paid by bacs inside the week.

So he got his money minus tax and all was well.

Teddybonkers

Quote from: lordadmiral on 12-01-21, 05:11PM
1288M marriage allowance.

Big cockup with pay, mgr could easly pass note to wage clerk for manuall corection of exceptions or do it itself.
One think is annoying with heavy underpayment. They deduct your pension from NET pay instead gross one so you cant benefit from tax relief (if you qualify for it).

"Big c**k Up" - Really? You don't actually believe that do you? More likely they've done it deliberately to save a bit of cash & make themselves look good. Or they could'nt give a toss cos you've already done the work. I've had it done to me. Despicable p**s Takers.

lordadmiral

@Teddybonker,
My thoughts about underpayments are quite extensive and mostly negative. Very rarely it's a genuine mistake but such mistakes are usually about single shift, for ex when you change holidays and mgr put BH instead PD.
In my current store we had 4 new starters several years ago. All worked full time, but had 2-3 days contracted. Head office blocked our OT and management knew  about it but kept asking people to come to work. I was a TL so knew about the money we had (not).
Answer to question how you plan to pay them was, " not to worry, they get it next month". Well next month arrive and still no money. People been used for 3 months nearly.
They got the money but one guy left straight after receiving it. Others got full time jobs. So yes that treatment was deliberate and most extreme i seen in nearly 15 years at Tesco.

Of course they quit 5 years ago because of bad treatment like telling one guy that working 20 cages of yoghurt plus milk dollies is not enough, forcing a woman with kids to change her days because they (mm) say so, or guy wearing cast on broken hand was expected to fill drinks.

Company sucks and unfortunately some are hit hard, very hard.

chris9997

I have for a long time believed that these mistakes are deliberate overtime especially 
Make a mistake staff mentioned when staff were paid said yes ok will ensure it’s paid next time ( hoping staff forget it happens.
We still have staff who have never seen there payslip as don’t know how to download, I think the big t have a duty to help those people.

dotnochance

every time i have ever done overtime its always wrong, hence why i haven't done overtime in 10 years

listo

Hi there, hoping someone can help, left the company a while ago and back now in a smaller express store, just got my offer letter and it says my hourly rate is 8.72? Currently 24 on a temporary contract, I had been under the impression pay rate was higher? Is this lower due to temporary contract or a probationary period?

Many thanks.

[gmod]Post moved here as a more suitable thread.[/gmod]

penguin

Minimum wage is £8.91 per hour for anyone over 23, most likely an old template letter has been used with old wage details on, cant help you with the current wage for a CA in express as I left the company a while back but I'm sure someone on here can advise.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Morris999

Starting rate for Store colleagues is either £8.91 or £8.93 I cannot remember which of the two it is.
Once you've 3 months service it will go up to £9.55.
This is regardless of Express, Superstore or Extra format.

expresscoop

Quote from: Me2015 on 12-01-21, 10:05AM
If they cocked up your hours despite your numerous conversations with boss and bosses boss, it is the responsibility of the store to ensure you are paid correctly for hours worked! 
Don't let the 'we can only put through x hours' BS fob you off, they can get a BACS payment made via payroll for a quick resolution, but clearly they trying to pull a fast one!
Tell them again you want your hours paid in full within the week, or you put a grievance in with the caveat that an employment tribunal would find in your favour for unpaid wages! Unauthorised Deduction of Wages is the line you need to give them!
Good luck

this, its literally writing a name on a new card.

Redshoes

I fail to see how wages can be wrong if you clock in and out. You are automatically paid for your clocked hours. There have been a few people who had holidays fully booked on the old system who show on work & pay with no holidays booked. This not many people though and should be sorted via exceptions if not by The computer work done to request overtime.

NightAndDay

Hundreds of people have been paid incorrectly last pay day including SMs in Express group, the AM said it was technical issues configuring work and pay and they all should be paid correctly in the upcoming pay period.

Hammer10

Anyone seen the joke of our Christmas bonus on our Tesco pathetic.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: Redshoes on 02-12-21, 09:13AM
I fail to see how wages can be wrong if you clock in and out. You are automatically paid for your clocked hours. There have been a few people who had holidays fully booked on the old system who show on work & pay with no holidays booked. This not many people though and should be sorted via exceptions if not by The computer work done to request overtime.

This... This is why the employees hate management and higher ups... it's always the "if you clocked in, if you did this, it should be right" - My wages have been wrong 4 times in the past 8 months.... I've always set off from home at 9:30pm, got to work for 9:37-9:40pm, clocked in Immediately. (Yes Immediately, as always done), I clock out at at 7:00am or 6:58am (along with my colleagues).

My Normal pay has been affected before, by missing £200.... WITHOUT taking any holidays or sick days... and the management response to that? "you'll be fine, you can live without it for a month" - Thats Most of my wages......

Its worse when taking holidays, I've given them Lets Talks & Pay Review forms with all the details on them of my Holidays. (same if i'm doing overtime), to make sure I get paid... and surprise surprise.... Guess what's missing? - "-xx.xx Unpaid Hours"

in my time at my store with the "personnel managers" that we had, I made 3 quit from grievances over the years due to the pay problems by SAID management..

And don't forget, the half a**ed system that the payslipview and stuff are on that have THAT many issues for colleagues rather than the paper stuff.. it's hard enough to view it to fix it these days...

So "failing to see how wages can be wrong" comes across to us as "Company is right, Colleagues are wrong, couldn't care less if youre paid right or wrong"

Redshoes

Quote from: NightAndDay on 02-12-21, 09:26AM
Hundreds of people have been paid incorrectly last pay day including SMs in Express group, the AM said it was technical issues configuring work and pay and they all should be paid correctly in the upcoming pay period.

I don't work in small format so I can't comment.
I can comment on exceptions on my store though. Most are miss clockings. I can only comment on what I actually experience. I don't fully trust word of mouth. Things change as word spreads, the story changes.

NightAndDay

It's not word of mouth for me, I had to lend my flatmate the SM some money because he was underpaid.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk