News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 11:51PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,370
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 556
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 458
Total: 459

Non essential.

Started by Nomad, 11-11-20, 11:28AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/09/fury-as-tesco-blocks-non-essential-items-with-beer-and-chocolates-13561948/

FURY. Why would anybody not be able to go 4 weeks without buying new clothes,shoes Etc.  Some people need to get a life and a sense of priorities.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

Going by the title, I thought It was about the employees, in which case, it's only true for the management team.

Siwel123

Because clothes are essential items? A kid's winter coat might break, school ships rip etc, even with covid you can't expect kids to wait 2 to 3 days for a proper coat or shoes to be delivered when they could pop to the shop and get one that very day

Nomad

Yes they are essential however needle & thread/twine, darning needle and wool job done  :thumbup:

My mum and millions like her would be turning in their grave with despair.  Wonder how many males know (without looking it up) what a "Last" is for making/repairing shoes.  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Missme

What I don’t really understand is why the clothes and card shops have been told to close as deemed as non essential. But we can sell these items. It makes no sense.

notsofunny

Quote from: Nomad on 11-11-20, 07:54PM
Yes they are essential however needle & thread/twine, darning needle and wool job done  :thumbup:

My mum and millions like her would be turning in their grave with despair.  Wonder how many males know (without looking it up) what a "Last" is for making/repairing shoes.  8-)

If I remember correctly we still have a pair in the cellar ,  Dad used them mostly to hold the shoes so he could put studs into the heal of my shoes  sparks flying all over :D  but had to take them next door since dad could not repair them ,,, hard times Yet happy times ,,,,,,,,

Nomad

Go back 60+ years most households had one (Last) in the shed for repairing and studding of shoes/boots.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

jester21

If clothes are none essential why the hell where we selling halloween and now xmas clothes i thought they where non essential clothes?

notsofunny

Its all due from what I understand it from a directive from Gove that if the area can be closed down which sells clothing ,Tv and so on then to do it ,

This I understand is what has changed since the last lock down ,Places like Asda,Marks sainsbury are doing the same something to do with not allowing stores from benifting from the lock down when clothing and other shops are closed , Yet it only makes one wonder why they have not closed down on line shopping ? could be someone has shares in those company's ,,,

oldfashionedplayer

It mainly states they 'should" compared to "must do so" which is primarily why tesco gets all the flack cause everyone else read it as "okay, we should, but we don't need to" 😂

notsofunny

A bit like the UK following the rules and the rest off the EU getting away without following the rule's ,,,

Nomad

A bit like Dominic Cummings and the rest of the nation  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

notsofunny

Redshoes

Never mind repairing shoes. People bring back clothes because a button has come off a blouse. We are all out at work now. I find that the young people now do not all have the skills we had as they don't have the time at home with a parent, both parents are working. We have labour saving devices now but we also have more things taking up our time. They do however have different skills as we now live in different times so they have appropriate skills for the time.
My grandson had a huge growth spurt during the first lockdown. We dress children differently now. He was not wearing clothes three sizes bigger so he had room to grow. We tend to buy him just a single size above but no more so with a big growth spurt his clothes were not comfortable for him. He also needed different clothes, not school clothes. This time the schools are staying open so he would have needed uniform.
Some people would have been waiting for pay day to buy that coat too. Not everybody has money in the bank to buy what is needed straight away so they need to save and wait. Nobody would have everything they need as we all spread things out over a period to time but we may need different things. One size fits all does not apply to clothing, financial situation or anything else. We are still individuals with individual needs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk