Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

16-04-24, 07:43PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,343
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Driver and Warehouse Strike

Started by The Mrs, 07-12-21, 01:48PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Due to insurance ramifications in the event of an injury staff should not perform any duty outside of their contracted role.

"I've broke my wrist." - MM: "what were you doing" - "I was helping Ebenezer" - MM: "not your job, you should not have been there.  So tough." 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

redeo

Quote from: hesketh on 15-12-21, 01:55PM
The bare percentages don't tell the whole story. I'm not sure if Unite got the add-ons that Usdaw have.

All driver's breaks will now be paid, that is an 8% increase in most cases :o

Drivers on the old contract will also get t+1/3 for Saturday instead of the current t+20%.

This adds up to quite a significant package and I congratulate the JNC reps for pulling it off :thumbup:

My earlier rant still stands but I'm reliably informed that Usdaw itself was not responsible for suspending the strike, other than that it was the JNC reps who made the call. Striking with such a deal offered would have been nuts.

Also, if we still chose to reject the offer we still have the mandate to strike at Valentines, Mother's day or Easter.....
An all they had to do is threaten to shut down online deliveries for Christmas, perhaps us shop colleagues should threaten to shut down the stores for Christmas next year and we will get such a good deal.

lackofinterest

easiest way is work to rule. don't work any bank holidays unless you have to and don't do overtime unless absolutely necessary. >:D

spike_pkh

Quote from: NightAndDay on 21-12-21, 10:36AM
It depends on the terms of your contract, CDD drivers may have it that they're not to do anything else outside their role except to drive, similar to how phone shop colleagues don't do anything outside phone shop, including checkout calls.

Pretty much my whole point. They want all the benefits of higher pay, but already have the cushiest contracts

Nomad

I sense a little green eyed being  8-)

Companies only pay what they pay to retain those employees they regard as vital to the company.  If you're not worth much to the company endeavour to gain the skills 'or contract' that will alter that situation.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

spike_pkh

I have worked in a depot, wasn't for me, I just believe that the divide for stores and depots around expectations and perks should be removed

lucgeo

spike mate...have you ever wondered it just might be you ???
Was depot not for you, or were you not for depot?

You want everyone who enters the perimeters of your store to muck in? Why would they? They have been on the road since god knows what time, they have to wait to off load, and take their breaks, but no!! All hail spike, let's give him a hand before my allotted breaks and toilet needs! They can't leave the wagon unattended, that's why they're sitting in the cab!

As for CDD? I'm taking it you mean customer delivery drivers for .com? My last store had the drivers picking if they weren't delivering, the phone shop colleagues supported checkouts, though they weren't supposed to, but then the SM has the final say!

Get that chip off your shoulder mate, and put it back in the freezer with the rest!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

spike_pkh

I didnt mention CDD, so I wont even comment on that part of your reply.

No, I havent ever wondered if it "might just be" me,, I worked in depot but moved back to stores as much preferred the atmosphere of face to face customer interaction. The workload in the depot was far easier than in store though.

Every driver I have spoken to recently, including a close friend of mine who moved to driving around a year ago, has told me how boring it is. Sat around in depot for hours reading the paper and watching netflix on their phones as there is no work to do for them. The last driver I spoke to had one drop on each of his previous 2 shifts, to stores approx 25mins & 35mins from the depot and the previous week had only to do a collection of RSU on a shift. One local drop in a 7.5hr shift. How is that good planning? I can understand one drop shifts if they are to the furthest stores, but he only had any drops at all because he was so bored but refused to go home unpaid as he needed the money.

Being a delivery driver for a company like tesco isn't the same as long distance lorry drivers, "on the road since god knows what time"  :D  :D

lucgeo

Firstly I apologise I misquoted as you, but it was a night and day post on CDD.

"Being a delivery driver for a company like Tesco isn't the same as long distance lorry drivers"  ???

Not every store is close to a depot, many are hours away, in the outer reaches of Scotland, Wales, and some English counties, and those are return delivery trips, plus waiting time in queues and tipping time!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Quote from: lucgeo on 23-12-21, 07:23PM
spike mate...have you ever wondered it just might be you ???
Was depot not for you, or were you not for depot?

You want everyone who enters the perimeters of your store to muck in? Why would they? They have been on the road since god knows what time, they have to wait to off load, and take their breaks, but no!! All hail spike, let's give him a hand before my allotted breaks and toilet needs! They can't leave the wagon unattended, that's why they're sitting in the cab!

As for CDD? I'm taking it you mean customer delivery drivers for .com? My last store had the drivers picking if they weren't delivering, the phone shop colleagues supported checkouts, though they weren't supposed to, but then the SM has the final say!

Get that chip off your shoulder mate, and put it back in the freezer with the rest!

From what I understand, the reason why phone shop colleagues are ringfenced is because O2 funds them to some degree, it should be treated by managers as a completely separate part of the core business.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk