News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:05PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 284
Total: 287

Over 70s Isolation

Started by extrastore, 15-03-20, 05:41PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DorisDaykin

Is anyone else following the government guidelines for 14 days self isolation because their children showed symptoms of a continuous cough and a high temperature  ?
Has anyone else been asked if they want to use holidays/unpaid domestic leave to cover their absence and told if they think it isn't Corona virus they can come back early  ?

lucgeo

In answer to your second paragraph...are you serious?? Have you been spoken to from management regarding holidays and early return??

If so ask them to put it in writing, for you to show your USDAW rep and area PM!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Levi4995

Yep whole team was told last night we had to take leave unpaid/use holidays. It’s completely wrong and utterly disgusting! We do get paid for any absence related to it and it will not effect your %. Only issue is if your abusing it and get caught which is fair enough. Honestly they have sank to a whole new low even by their standards!  >:( >:( >:(

josephinebutler

Reading that document, if you are over 70 and therefore high risk, you would need to take an unpaid lifestyle break? Slow hand clap Tesco, slow hand clap. No duty of care to older members of staff at all.

hornimans135

why is SSP not being paid from day 1?

fatboy

TheAnonymousWorker

Whilst i’m hearing from colleagues across the board managers are encouraging people to use holidays and unpaid leave etc, this exists;

Amended People Policy â€" National Disaster/Pandemic, Version 1.5, Page 9 of 23 â€" 17th March 2020

“Where a colleague has been confirmed as having Coronavirus (COVID-19) or has been advised to attend isolation or self-isolate, they will be paid from the first day of absence. The same will apply for colleagues who have a new, continuous cough or temperature over 37.8oC who are self-isolating for 14 days (7 days where they live on their own). Waiting days will continue to apply for all non-pandemic related absence.
Where a colleague lives with someone who has been confirmed as having Coronavirus (COVID-19) or they live with someone who is self-isolating as a result of a new, continuous cough or high temperature, they should also self-isolate for 14 days from when that persons symptoms began.”

Adywebb

Quote from: josephinebutler on 17-03-20, 05:37PM
Reading that document, if you are over 70 and therefore high risk, you would need to take an unpaid lifestyle break? Slow hand clap Tesco, slow hand clap. No duty of care to older members of staff at all.
This is being looked at at the moment and an update should come down later this week.
Stores are currently being asked to make a list of at risk colleagues.

Redshoes

as we are at the end of this holiday year many people will not have holiday left. The normal way of doing things updates constantly.
If you are self isolating and happen to have holiday left it could be OK to use holiday but this will apply to the few and not the many. The majority of us will have used all out holiday until it resets on 01/04. However, if on sick the normal thing to happen is that holidays are automatically cancelled. Sick trumps holidays. The confusion is the self isolation and as the brief on this is constantly changing we are running to try and keep up. Is self isolation strictly speaking sick, under normal circumstances no, but these are not normal circumstances.
This is new, unprecedented. The company have to find a balance. The people that need support should be supported. The however to this is that we all know of people who will just see this as a time to take paid time off work. We need to do the right thing by all. Allow those that need to stay at home to stay at home but also make sure those who will try and take advantage of this situation from getting any with it. I personally will be in work, grafting away and I am happy to do my bit to support the store, support those who need it but I am not willing to do this for those who will just see this as extra holiday.

extrastore

I see from Natasha Adams mail of this morning that over 70s will not be needed at work for the next 12 weeks, I wonder what fully paid means.
Quote In line with government guidelines, these colleagues will not be required to attend work for the next 12 weeks. This absence from work will be fully paid, with two of the 12 weeks coded as holiday.

fatboy

What do you think fully paid means?! Ain't that a bit obvious  :D

lucgeo

If other colleagues are thinking of taking a break, for personal reasons, but don't fit the criteria...be sure you ask for a LIFESTYLE break and NOT CAREER BREAK.
A lifestyle break is for UP TO 12 weeks and must include 2 weeks holiday, but has to be agreed with the PM. Your current position is safe, and you return to the same job, contract and T&C's.
A CAREER break is up to 2 years, but your job is NOT guaranteed on your return.

Morris999

I believe there was an update in January that the company would no longer be offering Career breaks.
However lifestyle breaks would now last up to 12 months, with no impact on your current role or contracted hours when you return( Baring any structure changes)

fatboy

Correct morris999  :thumbup:

lucgeo

Thank you for the correction...we live, we learn... :thumbup:

Mollymoomoo

I'm hearing managers are making their own rules up (as usual) regarding the 12 week social distancing. Such as if you're seen out at all you will be done for gross misconduct. People still need to shop etc.... , social distancing  isn't the same as self isolating. Once again we need some written clarification on this.

tingewickmax

I noticed the e-mail this morning mentioned any vulnerable individuals, not just the over '70's. There was an embedded link in the e-mail to the NHS guidance page. This seems to suggest a far wider range of employees are eligible for the fully paid 12 week absence as they "will not be required to work"- note the wording, very open to interpretation. I fall into the "vulnerable" category as I am diabetic. I wonder if I should make use of this facility at the risk of other colleagues feeling I am "letting the side down".

I also noted in the follow on NHS guidance there is no mention of self isolation, just minimising social contact. So just because you are seen out doing the essentials like shopping for food and suchlike that would be no reason to bring a disciplinary action against that employee. Like all these things Tesco say one thing for public consumption but do another at local management level. Either way they are covered.

Mollymoomoo

Pnoom

I actually fall into the vulnerable category as defined by the NHS, having heart disease, angina and reduced lung capacity. Looking forward to seeing the look on my manager's face when I tell her I'm entitled to 12 weeks paid leave as a "social distancing" measure! I'd be willing to bet 12 week's wages that she'll try to weasel out of it in some way.

We'll see...  ;)

madness

As usual there will be those legitimate who need to be off 12 weeks and those that abuse the system.

Tifa

I have asthma and been told the criteria for the 12 week off is if you have been hospitalised or have to take steroid tablets daily. Which I don't so I am ok for work.

lucgeo

Hmm...who told you that?? Your doctor or your manager, (who is a deluded asthma consultant in their spare time)

Tifa

My store manager who passed it on to my manager then i got the same response from duty.

Adywebb

Quote from: Pnoom on 19-03-20, 07:25PM
I actually fall into the vulnerable category as defined by the NHS, having heart disease, angina and reduced lung capacity. Looking forward to seeing the look on my manager's face when I tell her I'm entitled to 12 weeks paid leave as a "social distancing" measure! I'd be willing to bet 12 week's wages that she'll try to weasel out of it in some way.

We'll see...  ;)
Our SM has actually approached all those known to be in that category and encouraged them to go home or not come in if off today.
Remember its 10 weeks paid absence and 2 weeks holiday.

Adywebb

Quote from: Tifa on 19-03-20, 07:58PM
I have asthma and been told the criteria for the 12 week off is if you have been hospitalised or have to take steroid tablets daily. Which I don't so I am ok for work.
The NHS guidelines are here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk