Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:51PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 412
Total: 417

New Iveco vans encourage unsafe driving practises

Started by gomezz, 27-03-22, 02:56PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

Had the "pleasure" of driving one of these recently and my main takeaway from the experience was that they encourage unsafe driving practises.  How can that be you say with all the new modern safety features built into these newer vans?

The answer lies in the way it mutes the radio whenever you use the indicators or are driving down a narrow residential street and one of the proximity detectors thinks it is a bit close too a parked car (two feet or so) or the proximity detector gets a speck of dirt or a drop of rain on it and goes off on one anyway.  In other vans like the Mercs you get an audible alert but the radio keeps playing.

Even worse is that the it actually *just* mutes the radio rather than pausing the streaming of music from the phone in your pocket over Bluetooth meaning you miss about ten or twenty seconds of playback.

Why is this encouraging unsafe driving?  Because the driver is going to be tempted to do what they can to avoid triggering this behaviour by *not* using the indicators or fiddling with the manual Mute/Pause button on the dash while driving.

I have no idea if this is down to the usual ineptitude of Italians when it comes to automotive electronics leading to buggy software in the ICE or if the indicators and sensors are wired wrongly but it is definitely wrong.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

FarmerFred

The better option would be to not have radio or Bluetooth music option - should be concentrating on driving, not listening music!

BUY TESLA STOCK

Never mind the vans you should hear what some colleagues call music working in stores as the night crew run about daft filling the produce and fresh on min wage. The SM turns up in the morning laughing. No need for wage rises just let them play the Vengaboys and Badboy Chiller Crew with some Rihanna thrown in.  :)

[admin]VLH is for members to help each other and is not just somewhere to come and have a whinge every day.[/admin]

gomezz

Quote from: FarmerFred on 27-03-22, 09:18PM
The better option would be to not have radio or Bluetooth music option - should be concentrating on driving, not listening music!
It is having the radio playback interruption which disturbs ones concentration from driving.

gomezz

In any case next time I am given that van I have decided to go back to the old way when we had tatty old vans with broken or no radios.  Using my portable speaker playing from my PMP.

spike_pkh

Of all the complaints on here this must be the most ridiculous..

gomezz

Trivial maybe, ridiculous it is not.  It may help explain why all those drivers of expensive, luxury German cars often don't use their indicators if their ICE does the same thing.

FarmerFred

Owners of certain German brand cars have been prone to treating indicators as optional for as long as I can remember.

hesketh

I had to check the date here, I thought someone must have put their clock forward a few days instead of just one hour.....

"unsafe driving practises" like; reversing with loud music playing, driving without due care at junctions because your music is more important than other road users, putting your music above the safety of pedestrians and children in residential streets.....?

Please remove yourself from any future driving roles before your selfish attitude results in tragedy!

Having driven many "expensive, luxury German cars" I can assure you that they are, generally, driven by people who enjoy driving more than the norm and indicate when it is necessary to do so. The vast majority of indications I see are either wrong, misleading or plain irrelevant.
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

gomezz

grim up north

I'm with Gomezz on this one, they had the audacity to remove the drink holder in vans so now i have to drive unsafe with only one hand on the wheel as i have to have the other hand free to hold my beer. Disgusting...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk