News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:32PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 291
Total: 295

Dropping shift

Started by Nikkih4586, 30-08-19, 05:34PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

chris9997 is correct, can we return to "Dropping shift".
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

renown

Very useful reply.  Not.

[admin]Previous pointless and silly post by repintaply removed.[/admin]

lordadmiral

Without creating new topic.... i would like to ask a question about droping a shift/s. Is there a policy at our tesco about that. Like who you must inform how long it take. I am planning to change job if possible but i would like to keep one night just in case ;D

lucgeo

I'm unsure if there is policy, but as a rule of thumb in my store was.....

Spoke to your manager of your possible intent to drop a day. They would discuss what day/hours  you had in mind, if it was agreeable to them, they would speak to SM to arrange.
However, be prepared for them to refuse, as the day you want may be a difficult shift to cover, especially as others probably won't be given your vacated hours as a contracted shift. Even if your manager agrees, the SM may override.
Always remembering, that if they do agree, you're not entering into a new flexi contract when they get you to sign!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

forrestgimp

Quote from: lordadmiral on 28-10-19, 07:08AM
Without creating new topic.... i would like to ask a question about droping a shift/s. Is there a policy at our tesco about that. Like who you must inform how long it take. I am planning to change job if possible but i would like to keep one night just in case ;D

It all depends on whether there is a single shift available and whether they want to give it to you.  You have no rights as such to expect Tesco to acquiesce  to your needs.

lordadmiral

Redshoes

It also depends on if the store you are in is over hours. Then as said above its down to if your shift is needed or if the store is able to cover without you. If your store is over hours they may not be able to add hours to someone else. They may just be looking to cut hours. If your shift needs covering it might be a matter of moving someone else's hours. You don't automatically have the right to cut hours. There are a lot of things that need to fall into place to allow it to happen. You also then need to do a minimum of 7.5 hours, there are exceptions to this in rare instances but stores are advised to not have a contract with less than 7.5 hours.

Poppy123

Hi, I am working four night shifts Sat Sun Mon & Tue.  I have been with the company 6 months.  I would like to drop the Sat night.  Is this possible? as I have heard other people have done it?  Is there a length of time you have to be in the company before you can ask for this?

Any help would be appreciated.

NightAndDay

If you drop your Saturday night, you lose most of your Sunday premium, they will let you drop it, but you may have to wait until they can replace you on that shift, they will accomodate you, but  there may be a period of time they'd want you to continue until they can get it sorted.

horatiocain

Because a Saturday night actually includes Sunday working yes you can.
Speak with your anger about dropping or knowing it, if they won't agree you can drop it regardless.
Fill in the Sunday opt out form, after 4 weeks you no longer work Sundays.

There should be a meeting when you submit the form to see if there are alternative hours available but in my experience if they won't let you drop a shift and you have to exercise your rights, they won't follow the policy and try to find alternative hours anyway.

Cinderella

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 05-09-19, 09:49AM
I was always on the understanding if you were late, for whatever reason, you either made the time back and/or had your pay adjusted accordingly for time not worked.

I suspect, in the future, when W&P comes into effect you'll only be paid for the actual hours you've worked (including any pre-agreed overtime that's been added to the tablet/HRAM) and if you're late and don't make the time back, you won't be paid.

This is what happens in my W&P store - work it back or lose it. Staff can stay later to make it up at our discretion, ie if it's a one off it would be allowed, or if it's someone with constant lateness they wouldn't be allowed to try to get them to change the pattern of lateness

Cinderella

Quote from: Redshoes on 28-10-19, 01:55PM
It also depends on if the store you are in is over hours. Then as said above its down to if your shift is needed or if the store is able to cover without you. If your store is over hours they may not be able to add hours to someone else. They may just be looking to cut hours. If your shift needs covering it might be a matter of moving someone else's hours. You don't automatically have the right to cut hours. There are a lot of things that need to fall into place to allow it to happen. You also then need to do a minimum of 7.5 hours, there are exceptions to this in rare instances but stores are advised to not have a contract with less than 7.5 hours.

This is the case for my store. We are 'over' hours because the hours are in the wrong place. So it's more difficult for people to drop shifts. I kept asking to drop one, and it was never implemented, but I didn't chase it as much as I could have, either. I've found that in some cases it helps to find someone who will cover your shift to add as a suggestion beforehand, but if you are over hours, that won't necessarily help.

However, if not accommodating you poses the risk of losing you for the crucial Friday/Saturday nights also, that can work in your favour. But I wouldn't advise threatening to quit completely if you don't mean it.

Just throwing ideas out there!

Checkout Superstar

What happens if someone doesn't turn up for a shift and also hasn't rang in to let bosses know they won't be in?

lucgeo

Depends on the circumstances, but it's usually a disciplinary process as they are considered AWOL!

If it's a contracted shift, and there was no special circumstances due to sudden unexpected events which would explain the non contact, then it will go down the disciplinary process route and relevant warning issued!

If it's an arranged and agreed overtime shift then that should be dealt with the same as contracted shift.

If it's due to an emergency situation, then it should just be an investigation and the rules reiterated, but moving forward, the supporting your attendance should come into play, and no disciplinary.

There are times when a shift time has been changed by the manager, and just put on the rota, but failed to instruct the employee. They will argue that the colleague should have looked at the rota, but the onus is on the manager to inform any changes with at least 24 hours notice!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Poppy123

Thanks for the advice guys so I should be able to opt out of Sundays Ie Saturday nights as my shift starts at 11pm? 
Could anyone confirm or clarify if you have to be in the position a certain amount of time in general to drop a night ? 

Thanks

horatiocain

You can opt out from day 1, no length of service is needed and yes your Saturday shift into Sunday morning is the one which gets dropped  also if you work Sunday night j to Monday morning your contracted hours cannot include any time on Sunday.

As for the ither question asked  failure to notify is covered jn the sickness policy, 1st occasion is noted on the welcome back to follow process, 2nd occasion is a let's talk  third is a formal warning 4th is a dismissal.
However this does not apply to inverting shifts  not calling in however can be used as justification to refuse overtime.

Munchkin

I have dropped a shift and SM was very honest with me about the rules ' you can drop absolutely any shift you like by giving 4 weeks written notice' those are the rules now I was told otherwise by a lead manager but when asking the SM that's the response I got and I did it another colleague has also done exactly the same very recently with new SM and no arguments you just need to maybe be a little ascertive about your rights as in the current climate people are often not replaced so managers may be reluctant to let people drop hours if they think they can get away with saying no

horatiocain

The SM is applying a best practice rule, which they're free to do and is actually a good idea  but the policy is that if you want a change you have to request via a flexible working request, which is hard to refuse in Tesco.

Poppy123

Quote from: horatiocain on 04-02-22, 08:04PM
You can opt out from day 1, no length of service is needed and yes your Saturday shift into Sunday morning is the one which gets dropped  also if you work Sunday night j to Monday morning your contracted hours cannot include any time on Sunday.

As for the ither question asked  failure to notify is covered jn the sickness policy, 1st occasion is noted on the welcome back to follow process, 2nd occasion is a let's talk  third is a formal warning 4th is a dismissal.
However this does not apply to inverting shifts  not calling in however can be used as justification to refuse overtime.

Does this mean if I opt out of Sundays that I can't do Sunday night 11-8 into Monday morning?  I only want to drop the Saturday night I have been with the business just over 6 months.

lordadmiral

I dropped sunday (sun to mon) last year. I am working saturday night (sat to sunday) as contracted shift and sometimes i do overtime on sundays, early or nigh shift.

horatiocain

I'd use your right to opt out, no you also cannot have that shift as no hours on a Sunday to be contracted at all, you can still request a flexible working arrangement to drop the shift, but you will need a reason.

Sunday opt out means no hours on a Sunday to be contracted

oldfashionedplayer

We've had about 3 drop their Sunday into Monday shift but keep going with their Saturday ones, so maybe it's that they really need the workers 😂, though when it comes to ban holidays and whatnot the say its a different day... So maybe the same applies to that? 🤔

horatiocain

Remember while that's what opt out means  the average tesco manager needs a dictionary for each of those word, so will have no clue about the actual rules.

When they took the Sunday premium we had 25+ drivers drop Sundays and intended tonouck it up on overtime if they wanted to, management said no to all their ivertime even though it left them short, tesco settled the lawsuit within weeks of it being filed and the managers all got the blame, but nothing has changed.

I'm not surprised at all, the few good managers would just let you drop a shift.

Poppy123

Hi I am
Still a little confused by this,  I work sat - Tuesday night on night shift 11pm-8am.  I would like to drop only the Saturday night.  I assume from what I have read on here I cannot use the opt out form as this would mean I would also have to drop the Sunday as part of my shift the 11pm on Sunday is for one hour of Sunday working.   Is it possible to just drop a Saturday night can the refuse this?  And also is their a length of time you have to be with the business before you can drop any night?   I work 30 hours and have been with business 7months on the same shifts.

Thanks

horatiocain

You can always request to drop the Saturday night,  its always your best first choice.
It gets very tricky if you opt out  you can still work a Sunday but not be co tracked to it  so technically your Sunday shift would change to be midnight onwards losing you an hour,  but the company should realise you will opt out and negotiate a solution.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk