News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:06AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Tesco 'firing and rehiring' court case sees union hail 'huge win' for workers

QuoteLawyers representing a union have hailed a judge's ruling on a "firing and rehiring" High Court fight with Tesco as a "huge win" for workers.

Usdaw said Tesco was acting "unconscionably" by trying to "unilaterally remove" workers' entitlement to retained pay.

Pending any appeal (if there is one) I find this news gratifying  8)

I believe a right and just decision.

unconscionably
Quotein a way that is morally unacceptable:
They are a bunch of self-interested individuals who have unconscionably abused their power.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

OvaSees

"Worst to come for food price rises, Tesco boss says" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60279019

Sheer, unadulterated hypocrisy. It's a bit rich coming from the Chairman of the company that 'rebranded' it's Metro stores into Express stores thus pushing the premium Express prices onto more customers and removing those stores from the ALDI Price Match mechanic - https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/tesco-shoppers-face-paying-23-25460536  https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supermarkets/tesco-hikes-thousands-of-prices-at-former-metro-stores/658188.article  https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1466125/tesco-prices-increase-metro-express-new-changes

He's also trying to underpin Tesco's price rises not being as bad as others which is disingenous because ASDA and Morrisons both pushed their prices up in the wake of their respective takeovers which had nothing to do with inflation - https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2022/01/asda-and-morrisons-hike-prices-after-private-equity-takeovers/

It's all well and good making price increase comparisons year-on-year but compare them to 2 years ago and you get to the realms of 18% at Tesco - https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/same-tesco-items-two-years-22872631 and even the Grocer has found them to have increased prices above inflation more than once in the last few years.

It's been going on for years, the current inflation has only brought the issue to the fore now but there's a lot that Tesco has been doing that is contributing to inflated prices in the grocery market given how much of that market it has, not least signing customers up to a 'loyalty' scheme to get 'comparable' prices whilst ripping the rest off and doing away with practically all other promotional mechanics. Tesco never wins on price any more - https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/stores/the-grocer-33 so stop telling people that 'every little helps' when all it does is serve the bottom line.

Nomad

And of course not forgetting shrinkflation, which may or may not occur to a product at the same time.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Mr Grumpy

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1561683/tesco-boss-warning-end-sell-by-dates-out-of-date-bread-latest-news-supermarkets

....as every ex baker who was made redundant wet themselves laughing at his total lack of understanding about bread and the bakery.

In the fridge is literally the worst place to keep your bread!!!!!

OvaSees

^ Proof indeed of what many of us have known for a long time - the company is run by people who have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the realities of the business they're (supposedly) running or the goods they are supplying. When the head of the country's biggest food retailer tells you things like this this, you know things are dire.

For the record - the starch molecules in bread recrystallise very quickly at cool temperatures which causes bread to go stale much faster when refrigerated. Like many in such positions these days, our Chairman ignores what's already been scientifically determined because 'he knows better'. It's hilarious hearing him say he does this to reduce food waste when in fact it would increase it dramatically.

lackofinterest

Quote from: Nomad on 05-02-22, 11:28AM
Tesco 'firing and rehiring' court case sees union hail 'huge win' for workers

QuoteLawyers representing a union have hailed a judge's ruling on a "firing and rehiring" High Court fight with Tesco as a "huge win" for workers.

Usdaw said Tesco was acting "unconscionably" by trying to "unilaterally remove" workers' entitlement to retained pay.

Pending any appeal (if there is one) I find this news gratifying  8)

I believe a right and just decision.

unconscionably
Quotein a way that is morally unacceptable:
They are a bunch of self-interested individuals who have unconscionably abused their power.
i hear they're trying it on with tesco maintenance team

penguin

Quote from: Mr Grumpy on 07-02-22, 01:15PM
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1561683/tesco-boss-warning-end-sell-by-dates-out-of-date-bread-latest-news-supermarkets

....as every ex baker who was made redundant wet themselves laughing at his total lack of understanding about bread and the bakery.

In the fridge is literally the worst place to keep your bread!!!!!

Nobody with an ounce of sense would store bread in the fridge, if that is his best advice I think it might be best if he avoids interviews in the future.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lordadmiral

Freezer not fridge. Unless it's a little freezer inside fridge.

Nomad

Tesco to open its first store dedicated to healthy food

QuoteThe new store, which will be opening later this month, will only offer healthy products, with no foods high in fat, salt or sugar available. This is another step in the company's attempt to get consumers to eat healthier, and is part of a four year plan that will include a major new programme of reformulation to improve the health profile of products, and increased promotions on healthy foods.

Tesco, 'guardians of the galaxy'  ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Totot

Another thing that will be failed like jack. Commercially it won't be feasible.
There is a big differences between making company image and political correctness.

Remind me few years ago when tesco get rid of "unhealthy" stuff like sweet, and my manager ask me to move all the unhealthy stuff from the till area. I ask her, should I move all this spirit too, she just laugh.

Kieth_Lemon

I still laugh at the amount of expresses that have "sweet free" checkouts but the confectionary section is directly in front of the checkouts.

Was also told once it was OK to put "gifting chocolate" near the checkouts as its not impulse and people won't eat them straight away. Il leave you to work out what level of senior managment told me that little nugget  8-)

penguin

Those who want to eat healthy will do, those who want to eat junk also will do. I am sure most of the health campaigners have the best of intentions but at the end of the day I believe in personal choice and if people want to eat junk food day in day out its not for anyone to tell them not to.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Sherwoodforest

To be honest it is someone's job to tell them its unhealthy to eat certain foods as its a burden on the NHS, but never see a grocery promo change without biscuits sweets and crisps on it.
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Nomad

Tesco Security workers angered as their jobs are outsourced

QuoteTesco security workers were called into meetings last week and told their jobs were being outsourced with three options: severance payment, redeployment to other positions in their store, if available , or a transfer to OCS security services.

The Trade Union Mandate that represents the workers say the deadline put to workers for a decision on their futures of March 1st is "unrealistic" and "disrespectful".
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

At least they're offered redundo, If I were them I'd take it lol.

San

In my store there was no offer of redundancy for security, basically told they are going to be outsourced to Ocs,  they keep their t&c but loose the pension and the colleague card, no redundancy  and apparently its legal

BUY TESLA STOCK

Maybe they will TUPE the GAs to OCS too and tell them to download an app on phone which tells them the next shift.   >:D

lackofinterest

Quote from: Nomad on 15-02-22, 11:35AM

QuoteTesco security workers were called into meetings last week and told their jobs were being outsourced with three options: severance payment, redeployment to other positions in their store, if available , or a transfer to OCS security services.

The Trade Union Mandate that represents the workers say the deadline put to workers for a decision on their futures of March 1st is "unrealistic" and "disrespectful".
tosco disrespectful? never!!  :-X :-X

OvaSees

Quote from: penguin on 12-02-22, 06:41PM
Those who want to eat healthy will do, those who want to eat junk also will do. I am sure most of the health campaigners have the best of intentions but at the end of the day I believe in personal choice and if people want to eat junk food day in day out its not for anyone to tell them not to.
I agree, the problem lies in cost which in these economically stretching times is most important, and it's cheaper to eat junk, processed food. Once upon a time it was the other way round until supermarkets brought us ready/processed meals and food, only to find that the most expensvie component of them - the protein element - is now compromising profitability, hence the real reason they're pushing plant-based protein 'alternatives'.

VladPutin

Quote from: Nomad on 15-02-22, 11:35AM

I'm surprised there are any stores left with in-house security guards. Ours went years ago. What we now have is a so-called, "Group Security Manager" who visits every now and then to put up posters about how GA's can stop theft. Which none of us bother to read because no one outside of management gives one tenth of a fornication about the company or people stealing from it.

When shoplifting hits a certain level, senior morons will authorise hiring a guard from a security company. Theft will slowly decrease until the security guard is dismissed. And then it will start to creep back up again as the local low-lives spread the word it's open season again. Lather, rinse, repeat. 8-)

VladPutin

Quote from: Nomad on 12-02-22, 10:50AM
Tesco to open its first store dedicated to healthy food

QuoteThe new store, which will be opening later this month, will only offer healthy products, with no foods high in fat, salt or sugar available. This is another step in the company's attempt to get consumers to eat healthier, and is part of a four year plan that will include a major new programme of reformulation to improve the health profile of products, and increased promotions on healthy foods.

Tesco, 'guardians of the galaxy'
;D

Tesco doesn't even qualify as the Fox version of the Fantastic Four! :D ;D

Nomad

Tesco to stock sex toys in exclusive deal with Lovehoney

QuoteSupermarket giant Tesco is to start selling sex toys after striking an exclusive deal with an online retailer.

Lovehoney - which markets itself as a 'sexual wellness' company - is set to put its products on the shelves of over 250 Tesco branches, which is expected to include the Hanley superstore.

It will see a range of Lovehoney products including lubricants and vibrators available to buy.

I can't imagine the reaction of all the parents with their young children, "mum/dad what's that for ?" -- "I don't know we only came in for a loaf."

Will they be age restricted products ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

BUY TESLA STOCK

Its for all the workers on party wages

oldfashionedplayer

we've sold sexy toys for a long time, just some different news that there are love honey ones added lol.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Produce will be busy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk