News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:41PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 278
Total: 280

Boxing Day M&S Closed

Started by The Mrs, 26-11-20, 05:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mrs

The CEO of Mark's & Spencer has sent a message to all stores today. Because of the Covid restrictions and the limited period of less restrictions over Christmas the M&S CEO has decided it would not be fair to expect staff to work on Boxing Day and so all stores will be closed.

Perhaps this information should be fed to HO so that Tesco CEO might consider doing the same.

Worth a try?

T.C.1

If that happened then I would believe in Father Christmas 😂

VladPutin

:D ;D

The same head office who won't even give staff a hot breakfast on winter mornings? The same head office that decided that cleaning up broken bottles etc was too dangerous for cleaning staff and thus should be done by CA's instead? The same head office that made thousands of counter staff redundant? The same head office that came up with the brilliant idea of centralising stock control, which hasn't worked correctly since day one and leads to stores either running out of stock or drowning in lines they can't possible shift? The same head office that, in the 20 years I've worked for the company, hasn't implemented a single new policy that made my job easier to do or more efficient?

Yeah, good luck with that. 8-)

expressman77

The cleaning company was going to increase their charge in case their staff got cut dealing with broken glass,
Counters closed due to lack of sales as are other supermarkes are doing and so many routines and jobs  are easier compared to years ago , sometimes they may not get but right but most times they do

Paupers wage

Any truth in Tesco’s returning to 24 hour opening in stores between 15th to 23rd December

NightAndDay

That will be dependent on the laws around the tiered lockdoen system, if the government forbids it then they won't if they don't they will.

notsofunny

Well if Marks is closed then all it will mean is that Tesco will expect a bit more in sales on the Food side at least , So not much chance on you all having a extra day off ,,

penguin

A couple of years ago a customer posted on Tesco Instagram saying shut all the stores Boxing Day let staff have it off, reply from Tesco was something along the lines of don’t worry our staff want to be in on Boxing Day to ensure all our customers can get anything they need to enjoy Boxing Day.

Also according to a previous S.D Tesco can’t close on Boxing Day as customers might be so disappointed at finding a closed store they might never return, so while it would be nice I can’t see Tesco closing all the shops on Boxing Day.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Katarn2000

I'm like working boxing Day. Don't take that away from me. It's an excuse to escape the family.

whatajoke2019

I try not to listen to rumours at work but several people have mentioned to me that they've "heard" we're going to be open 24 hours from 15th to 23rd December.

As for Boxing Day I suspect they wouldn't even toy with the idea of closing due to Aldi/Lidl usually being closed.

lackofinterest

so why doesn't everyone take the day off. after all it's a bank holiday and you get paid for it. let's see the greedy f*****s open then >:( >:( >:(

lackofinterest

let head office staff work the stores that day!! >:D >:D

VladPutin

Quote from: expressman77 on 26-11-20, 08:10PM
The cleaning company was going to increase their charge in case their staff got cut dealing with broken glass,
Counters closed due to lack of sales as are other supermarkes are doing and so many routines and jobs  are easier compared to years ago , sometimes they may not get but right but most times they do

1)So in other words, head office are perfectly happy to put staff in a potentially dangerous situation as long as it saves them some money.

2)At least one other major supermarket increased the number of counter staff they had as soon as Tesco decided to close theirs.

3)I've worked for the company for 20 years. Nothing head office has done has made my job any easier. In most cases, the reverse is true.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, "work" at head office. 8-)

VladPutin

Quote from: lackofinterest on 26-11-20, 10:49PM

Oh, dear God - can you imagine the carnage we'd come into the next day if those lazy idiots had tried to do a real day's work for the first time in their lives?!  :o :D ;D

lackofinterest

Quote from: VladPutin on 26-11-20, 10:51PM
Quote from: expressman77 on 26-11-20, 08:10PM

1)So in other words, head office are perfectly happy to put staff in a potentially dangerous situation as long as it saves them some money.

2)At least one other major supermarket increased the number of counter staff they had as soon as Tesco decided to close theirs.

3)I've worked for the company for 20 years. Nothing head office has done has made my job any easier. In most cases, the reverse is true.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, "work" at head office. 8-)
:D :D :D :thumbup:

lackofinterest

Quote from: VladPutin on 26-11-20, 10:53PM

Oh, dear God - can you imagine the carnage we'd come into the next day if those lazy idiots had tried to do a real day's work for the first time in their lives?!  :o :D ;D
the next day?? sunday?? no thanks!!

Katarn2000

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 26-11-20, 10:35PM
I try not to listen to rumours at work but several people have mentioned to me that they've "heard" we're going to be open 24 hours from 15th to 23rd December.

Our store manager announced that it's happening definitely but details not confirmed yet.. Source is the staff Facebook page. More than a rumour I'm afraid.

oldfashionedplayer

if it's mainly opening over christmas then it's not a rumour, the zoom meeting stores did on the 16th confirmed they are doing 2 weeks opening for christmas for 24 hours in order to thin numbers so customers can have access to everything in the run up to christmas rather than all pile in, plenty of details on yammer and communications hub has the listing, they are adding extra hours for colleagues to be stationed near BWS/Milk/Produce/Meat  to stop people from going down the aisles if it's too crowded etc, 7.5 hours morning, 7.5 afternoon, 4.5 evening, we've got 7 till operators for the night shift (so that'll be twiddling thumbs)

Bubbles12

Our Store is one 5 currently open 24 hours and has been for a while now.
The Store Manager has said that other stores WILL go back to being open 24 hours in the run up to Christmas.

Redshoes

We have been briefed that we go 24/7 for two weeks but we are closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Even the PFS is not open Boxing Day. We are told to expect 24/7 between Christmas and new year but that's not confirmed yet.

VladPutin

Quote from: lackofinterest on 26-11-20, 10:56PM

I should have clarified: next contracted working day, in other words Monday.

I won't even be sober on Sunday, never mind working! :D

VladPutin

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 27-11-20, 03:17AM
if it's mainly opening over christmas then it's not a rumour, the zoom meeting stores did on the 16th confirmed they are doing 2 weeks opening for christmas for 24 hours in order to thin numbers so customers can have access to everything in the run up to christmas rather than all pile in, plenty of details on yammer and communications hub has the listing, they are adding extra hours for colleagues to be stationed near BWS/Milk/Produce/Meat  to stop people from going down the aisles if it's too crowded etc, 7.5 hours morning, 7.5 afternoon, 4.5 evening, we've got 7 till operators for the night shift (so that'll be twiddling thumbs)

We've been told we're going to 24/7 in the run up to Xmas. Bloody stupid idea - no surprise, as it was though up by head office - for two reasons,

1)Nights have a tough enough time filling the store when all they have to contend with is Dot Comedy pickers. Adding customers to that is recipe for carnage.

2)This will have little real effect on the numbers through the doors during the day. Punters will still pile in, just as they do every Xmas. Also, LMFAO at staff trying to limit the number of punters in Fresh aisles at any one time. During the height of the Lockdown, when we had One Way in place, punters simply ignored the 2 Metre Distance Rule and barged past staff to grab stuff off the shelves. I sent one moron flying because he was reaching over me to grab a bag of carrots when I was bending down. Didn't see him and straightened up, knocking the idiot halfway across the asile. >:D

lackofinterest

Quote from: VladPutin on 27-11-20, 08:29AM
Quote from: lackofinterest on 26-11-20, 10:56PM

I should have clarified: next contracted working day, in other words Monday.

I won't even be sober on Sunday, never mind working! :D
won't be in monday either. official bank holiday :) :D

lackofinterest

Quote from: VladPutin on 27-11-20, 08:40AM
Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 27-11-20, 03:17AM

We've been told we're going to 24/7 in the run up to Xmas. Bloody stupid idea - no surprise, as it was though up by head office - for two reasons,

1)Nights have a tough enough time filling the store when all they have to contend with is Dot Comedy pickers. Adding customers to that is recipe for carnage.

2)This will have little real effect on the numbers through the doors during the day. Punters will still pile in, just as they do every Xmas. Also, LMFAO at staff trying to limit the number of punters in Fresh aisles at any one time. During the height of the Lockdown, when we had One Way in place, punters simply ignored the 2 Metre Distance Rule and barged past staff to grab stuff off the shelves. I sent one moron flying because he was reaching over me to grab a bag of carrots when I was bending down. Didn't see him and straightened up, knocking the idiot halfway across the asile. >:D
you did right :D :D :D

VladPutin

It was a total accident.

The fact I laughed so hard I had to take off my boxer shorts in the staff toilets afterwards, and Go Commando for the rest of the shift, is beside the point! >:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk