News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:37PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 292
Total: 297

Cleaners & cleaning

Started by Nomad, 23-07-20, 11:24AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munchkin

The union is a long gone saviour.... If it ever was one now simply clinging on to life because so many members simply never get round to cancelling their payments

londoner83

Good luck getting any Tesco Colleague to clean public toilets with the state they are regularly left in.

Ravvers

Hmmm invest more budget for exisiting staff - heard that before many a time in my 34 years in Tesco , what a kick in the teeth for staff working their nuts off already in the most dangerous of times , long gone are the days where you could happily work on your own  dept. without being pulled all over the bloody shopfloor & checkouts - now they want you to clean ! Ffs how do they think they got to being  biggest retailer ? We used to joke to the boss '' do you want me to stick a broom up my arse as well ? '' Well now it looks like  we will have to !!!

Hoggles

I haven’t met a single staff member who isn’t annoyed about this cleaning situation, apart from managers who have to feign some sort of interest in it for fear of their lives! I don’t buy all this “that’s what they do at Aldi” stuff, Tesco isn’t Aldi, not everyone’s shops in Aldi and not everyone wants to work in Aldi. The changes I have seen in Tesco over the years have all be for the worse and this has just been the icing on the very rubbish cake and made me and my colleagues want to leave. If they are allotting extra hours for cleaning why not just hire a person whose sole job is to clean?! It just goes to show that nobody cares about the little people who are the drivers of the stores. I didn’t even hear about this new change from my manager and he still hasn’t mentioned it, I heard it on the news. It’s been handled terribly and they are trying to pass it off as something positive. I think there should be a store by store opt in or out for this with voting from staff and let those who opt in reap the wonderful benefits. I really hope the union can help out here.

Nomad

Remember the supposed extra hours/budget is not all that will be required. Training, equipment, PPE and consumables also required, and not forgetting the goodwill from staff to do a good job of it.

Can't see all of the above happening.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

King1999

Good will died along time ago.

lordadmiral

Hmmm i am wonder how work will be distributed. One week one person and next another one? One scheduler for work on shop floor and one for cleaning.
Do you think that managers would go pick the mop, brush and do some cleaning?

notsofunny

Had a bit of feedback from a few managers in Express and Metro as to how they plane to work around this ,

Express only have one cleaner in the morning , so they are going to employ The same cleaner they have to do the same hours which is about 2 and a half to 3 hours a day

Metro have about 2 cleaners so they will do the same ,

But that still leaves the problem of the fact that Tesco do not have workers working 7 days a week like the cleaners work ,

Seems the cost savings to Tesco is that they don't have to pay the extra amount they pay to the cleaning company above the cleaners wages and other add on items ,

I do see a plus for the cleaners in that they will get extra holidays as well as extra sick pay that they don't get at the moment ,

how all this works out in realty I dont know but at least i can see that Managers are not happy about all this and want to find a way out ,,

Nomad

Radical idea, staff do shop floor and shelving etc, MM do staff toilets and rest room :thumbup:  :D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

notsofunny

In Express the cleaner is not supposed to clean the staff room except Moping the floor ,  the sink/microwave/fridge cups/plates and so on gets done by staff/manager , Manager since he gets told off mostly if staff room is dirty

And the shelving has always been done by the Staff never by the cleaners,

One thing for sure I will be going around to some see some lazy managers if they ever get around to cleaning the Bogs  :D :D especially the stores with Customer Bogs after a Friday or sat night  >:D >:D

T.C.1

Tesco had an advert on FB and nearly every comment was how angry people were that at this time of all times Tesco are getting rid of their cleaners, most said when it happens they're going to shop elsewhere.  So it might be the case that if you ask a Tesco worker what were you doing half an hour ago the reply might be "well, I had my hands down the bog!!!".

notsofunny

Not a lot of people are bothered with who loses jobs,  most are bothered with is what price they have to pay and if they can get the item they want, as to shopping some other place We have all heard that before and if they went to Lidil, Aldi  the staff do the same thing I have read.

And don't be surprised if others follow what Tesco are doing as well since places like Asda/Morrisons have all done job cuts the same way soon after Tesco has.

jonty

"They wouldn’t sack cleaners at head office" - workers react as Tesco cuts cleaning staff

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/07/tesco-fires-contract-cleaners-and-gets-shop-staff-to-do-their-work

BUY TESLA STOCK

Some staff can’t even wash their hands never mind clean bogs and do shop floor work without cross contamination.

alf

“It’s insulting. They wouldn’t take the cleaners away from head office. Cleaning toilets is not part of a customer assistant job.”

The only thing I've took away from this is the amount of shelf stackers who apparently think they're better than cleaners.

NightAndDay

Quote from: jonty on 07-08-20, 09:25PM
"They wouldn’t sack cleaners at head office" - workers react as Tesco cuts cleaning staff

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/07/tesco-fires-contract-cleaners-and-gets-shop-staff-to-do-their-work

Exactly, the staff taking ownership of the cleaning process and provides cleaner stores is a badly thought out transparant PR spiel, it's clearly a cost cutting exercise, but not only this, by saying their staff would be better at cleaning than paid professionals is also illogical and arrogant, they should make Tescos PR team redundant as only idiots won't see through their bs.

Welshie

Quote from: alf on 07-08-20, 10:35PM
“It’s insulting. They wouldn’t take the cleaners away from head office. Cleaning toilets is not part of a customer assistant job.”

The only thing I've took away from this is the amount of shelf stackers who apparently think they're better than cleaners.

I dont think I'm better than the cleaners but I wouldn't apply for that job or a job that involved cleaning . Nor would I apply for a job on customer services,  the counters or several other departments as I dont want to do those jobs . IF cleaning had been in my job description I wouldn't have applied for it , it doesn't mean I think I'm better than the cleaners.

King1999

I would say under the Lewis era he’s done nothing but devalue staff,so what do you expect from this company now.Arrogance,greed,lazy retail,shut it down don’t fix it and staff which were the best asset the company had treated like s*** at every opportunity.A few times I’ve heard the company values being quoted to staff,they died the minute Lewis took on the job of cutting staff.

miriam

Is it worth challenging bad practices
Like discrimination, victimisation and harassment
Or look for other work???

lucgeo

I would, and have, refused point blank to clean public/staff toilets. In my opinion every cleaner should be on a higher premium wage, not the minimum wage.
Also the lack of respect shown by some colleagues toward the cleaners, in my old store, used to make my blood boil  >:(  >:(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

Quote from: Hoggles on 28-07-20, 09:57AM
I haven’t met a single staff member who isn’t annoyed about this cleaning situation, apart from managers who have to feign some sort of interest in it for fear of their lives! I don’t buy all this “that’s what they do at Aldi” stuff, Tesco isn’t Aldi, not everyone’s shops in Aldi and not everyone wants to work in Aldi. The changes I have seen in Tesco over the years have all be for the worse and this has just been the icing on the very rubbish cake and made me and my colleagues want to leave. If they are allotting extra hours for cleaning why not just hire a person whose sole job is to clean?! It just goes to show that nobody cares about the little people who are the drivers of the stores. I didn’t even hear about this new change from my manager and he still hasn’t mentioned it, I heard it on the news. It’s been handled terribly and they are trying to pass it off as something positive. I think there should be a store by store opt in or out for this with voting from staff and let those who opt in reap the wonderful benefits. I really hope the union can help out here.

It will follow the same pattern as usual. When Tesco used to open new stores, the staff would be in abundance, tripping over each other, locals would shop in the first few weeks, to see shiny new shop, shelves full, promotions in abundance, full bank of checkouts open. Newly employed staff would believe all the hype, feed it back to customers and family. Once established in the area, the cutbacks start...temps gone...heat maps...all dept's "over hours" etc...etc..

The same will be with this cleaning farce...ample hours will be there to begin with, all shiny new mops, buckets and marigolds in abundance...give it 6 months and it'll all go down the pan..just like your hands trying to unblock a toilet with only a rotten germ infested toilet brush classed as a "tool for the job" :-X

Redone1

So I've just heard my local metro has gone from 16 hours ( current cleaning hours) and this new way for the staff to do it, they've been given a mighty 4.5 hours.  Joke is not the word.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Scraping the barrel, if cutting cleaning hours during a pandemic is the best they can do.

lucgeo

Quote from: Redone1 on 08-08-20, 10:52AM
So I've just heard my local metro has gone from 16 hours ( current cleaning hours) and this new way for the staff to do it, they've been given a mighty 4.5 hours.  Joke is not the word.

Where on the contract does it state that you will be required to clean human bodily fluids and excrement? From what I recall, cleaning is not Tesco departmentalised? Therefore, who is responsible for overseeing a non recognised department?

I also seem to recall, that it states in the contract that you will be required to work in any dept or store, deemed reasonable?? Or words to that affect? This is not a reasonable request!

I would urge everyone NOT to sign any new contracts. I would also refuse to clean any sanitary areas, and cite the current pandemic situation, as a reasonable refusal.

FFKS....sewers are being tested and monitored, for presence of the virus. Yet Tesco seem to think it ok for a CA to clean a toilet, then, wearing the same clothes, serve and handle customers shopping. Most colleagues are part time, short shifts, the virus survives up to 72 hours, so what's the chances eh??

Hammer10

Should cleaners be given hepatitis a,b ,c in case they have to clean needles up from public toilets .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk