News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 11:08AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 413
Total: 416

Xmas bank holiday

Started by Noyouwont, 09-10-20, 10:03AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lackofinterest

if a bank holiday falls on your day off then you are entitled to a days holiday in lieu which is classed as a bank holiday. if you want the monday off your manager shouldn't be able to refuse it as you're entitled to 2 bank holidays and 2 days off that week. a decent manager would never refuse you taking it.

Rad

What about 2,3 and 4 day workers? Does that apply to them too?

lackofinterest

yes. if a bank holiday falls on one of your non contracted days. you are entitled to take another days holiday irrespective of how many days you work. you will need to speak with your manager or if no joy then a union rep

Welshie

Not strictly true , you are allocated bank holidays pro-rata if you work 4 days a week , you get 6 bh's . 5 days a week the full 8 days . Bank holidays are now allocated at the start of the holiday year , when they where worked out pro-rata by hours you had the right to take them on the week of the bank holiday but I'm not sure that is the case now if it doesn't fall on your contracted shift .

dfl

Quote from: Rad on 27-12-20, 04:56PM
If you wanted the Monday off its just treated like a normal holiday request, as its not a bank holiday.

it is a bank holiday (substitute for the Saturday), this in on official government websites (English and Scottish)
DFL

Rad

It's  not a bank holiday for tesco store staff.

lackofinterest

it is if you make it one

lackofinterest

tesco insisting monday is a normal day and managers forcing people to work it. why the f*** did anybody agree to work boxing day. i just don't understand it >:(

Rad

This isn't news though, it was confirmed months ago. Christmas working arrangements started in October,  early November. 

Next year should be different where the holidays are moved from the Sundays to the Mondays.  Colleagues will be able to take the Sunday off as a holiday or work time back over Xmas.

lackofinterest

sunday? holiday? don't you mean day off. who in their right mind works sunday? shops shouldn't even be open in my opinion

NightAndDay

Nobody does, but we're in the midsts of a race to the bottom, the higher ups need to counteract the governments attempts at narrowing the class divide. Sunday working has been the norm in the Retail industry for well over a decade, it's only in the last 5 years have they decided that Sunday workers shouldn't be paid any extra.

Redshoes

Quote from: lackofinterest on 28-12-20, 10:21PM
tesco insisting monday is a normal day and managers forcing people to work it. why the f*** did anybody agree to work boxing day. i just don't understand it >:(

We are not all the same. I don't mind working new year but prefer a few days off at Christmas. I got three days this year but I have agreed to work more at new year. Others have chosen the other way round.  Christmas is not a surprise, one thing in life we can bank on, Christmas will happen. Some people don't celebrate it.
The Monday alternative bank holiday is just that. It's not an additional. It's an alternative for those places that are not open weekends. It does not mean that for this year we get Boxing Day twice. Some stores open and some don't. Some don't mind working it and others want time off. For most, Boxing Day fell on a working day so you either worked it or didn't. It should be a choice. If it fell on a normal day off you have a bank holiday day you did not need to use for this day off.

NightAndDay

For the majority of Retail, Boxing day is and shall always be 26th December regardless of what day that falls on, the 28th had to be made the bank holiday alternative for boxing day for the full time workers not in Retail that have every weekend off in order for them to have the minimum required number of bank holidays available to take.

It all works out in the end, the 26th December falling on a Saturday would be the same as it falling on one of your days off during the weekday. In terms of time off everyones on an even keel. The only part which is different is that time off for Retail Workers don't consistently fall on the weekend, but that's been the case for decades and is widely accepted as part of the Retail industry.

expressman77

Quote from: lackofinterest on 28-12-20, 10:21PM
If you dont want to work boxing day or any other bank holidays you just need to request it as a holiday when you book holidays at begining of the year

alaska25021

Hi, I can't work out how to post on the forum so I'm having to reply, it says on my Bank Holiday Information that I've taken 1 of my bank holiday days, I only started in November and I worked both Boxing Day and New Years Day, the only bank holiday I didn't work was Christmas - would this take out a day of my Bank Holiday Information? On my Payments it says Bank Holiday Day OT which was for the hours I worked on Boxing Day which makes it seem like my bank holiday day was Boxing Day but I worked so I can't see why - so is it for Christmas day?

whatajoke2019

I would imagine the wage clerk processed it in your store as a Bank Holiday; I'll assume the Friday (Christmas Day) was a contracted shift?

That's one thing I like about Work & Pay; I didn't have to use any of my holiday entitlement for it as you're able to move your shifts to somewhere else in the week.

alaska25021

Yeah it was a contracted day - Ah I wish we used Work & Pay, working at Tesco has caused me so much anxiety so far hahaha, thank you so much!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk