News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:55PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 290
Total: 293

Over 70s Isolation

Started by extrastore, 15-03-20, 05:41PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hope0101

Blackcat3
This is the policy from ourtesco
Vulnerable colleagues:
We are putting in place measures to support colleagues who are over 70, vulnerable or pregnant, for whom we know from NHS guidance, Coronavirus could be a greater risk.
In line with government guidelines, these colleagues will not be required to attend work for the next 12 weeks. This absence from work will be fully paid, with two of the 12 weeks coded as holiday.
We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.

This group includes those who are:
•   aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
•   under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
•    chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
-----------------------
this is the guidance for employers
•   employees from defined vulnerable groups should be strongly advised and supported to stay at home and work from there if possible
the policy is clearly stated, if you have asthma you should be off work (paid) for 12 weeks, I'd phone the group people manger
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/guidance-for-employers-and-businesses-on-coronavirus-covid-19

RandomJim

Yup ... that’s what I’ve been going off ... however ... you have to prove 1 of the following.
Flu jab
Hospitalised for asthma
Take steroid inhalers.
If you can’t prove it
You can’t have it ... even if you can prove you have asthma.
Stupid isn’t it

uklions

i spent whole week fighting to get the 12 weeks off (2 of which is holiday) due to fact have asthma ,have yearly free flu jab as recommended by my GP, and take steroid inhaler, after was finally granted it said no thanks don't want it was just proving a point,12 weeks at id be bored out of my head,so had to sign form saying i was coming back and T...co never pushed me into coming back

RandomJim

Problem is I chose not to get the flu jab and only have salbutamol.
I don’t want to be in as not only do I fear catching it for me, but my dad has copd and in the same house ... and not being rich, it’s practically impossible to isolate ... so if I get it ... we’ve all got it.

Jonathan1970

I got my flu jab gp notification printed of by the chemist that i took my NHS flu jab card to get the jab done and on the letter it says eligibility group to why i have the jab which mine states has a weakend immune system .

I have not been asked for any proof but thats mine if asked.

Welshie

Quote from: uklions on 28-03-20, 11:18PM
i spent whole week fighting to get the 12 weeks off (2 of which is holiday) due to fact have asthma ,have yearly free flu jab as recommended by my GP, and take steroid inhaler, after was finally granted it said no thanks don't want it was just proving a point,12 weeks at id be bored out of my head,so had to sign form saying i was coming back and T...co never pushed me into coming back

And with everything going on atm in stores , you thought it was a good idea to waste someone's time fighting for something you didnt want ???  You really need to read some of the comments on here of your colleagues who are desperately trying to get help to protect them and their families.  Would a managers time not be better spent trying to help them in some way 😡

Jonathan1970

Quote from: Welshie on 30-03-20, 01:51PM
Quote from: uklions on 28-03-20, 11:18PM

And with everything going on atm in stores , you thought it was a good idea to waste someone's time fighting for something you didnt want ???  You really need to read some of the comments on here of your colleagues who are desperately trying to get help to protect them and their families.  Would a managers time not be better spent trying to help them in some way 😡

This

lucgeo

8-) you lost for words Jonathan  8-)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

josephinebutler

Can someone let me know if over 70s staff are allowed to shop in person while off? I get the feeling, from a personal perspective, that they are saying they will not let you. I’m not staff anymore, so have no access to Tesco’s comms with staff.

renault1

Quote from: josephinebutler on 01-04-20, 11:30AM
Can someone let me know if over 70s staff are allowed to shop in person while off? I get the feeling, from a personal perspective, that they are saying they will not let you. I’m not staff anymore, so have no access to Tesco’s comms with staff.
----------------over 70s are not supposed to leave the house at all as far as i know

blueberet

As far as I gather you are just meant to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures, whilst probably frowned upon you are not part of the group that are meant to be shielding (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19)

josephinebutler

Quote from: renault1 on 01-04-20, 12:43PM
----------------over 70s are not supposed to leave the house at all as far as i know

If that is the case then I don’t understand why Tesco are offering over 70s shopping hour on a Mon, Weds and Fri. It seems that they have drawn some bizarre and arbitrary line in the sand for no real reason.

Blackcat3

If you don't have any other support then you can go in the councils have set up helplines to help vulnerable people that should be isolating

josephinebutler

I absolutely agree that over 70s should not take unnecessary risks, but I have a relative who had no idea that they were actually banned from visiting a store until they took advantage of the  vulnerable persons shopping hour today and were in no uncertain terms that this was forbidden. Just strikes me as a frankly odd rule when the person could, should they wish, go into any other grocery shop and shop there. I would be interested to know if this is universal policy from head office, or made up by the store itself.

lucgeo

The over 70's follow the same isolating rules as the rest of us.

Check the NHS website.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

josephinebutler

Quote from: lucgeo on 01-04-20, 03:02PM
The over 70's follow the same isolating rules as the rest of us.

Check the NHS website.

So as I suspected. The store is making it up. Over 70s need to be extra careful, but can leave the house for essentials.

Nomad

NHS website,
Quotetry to keep yourself busy â€" you could try activities like cooking,

Hello, there is very little in the fridge or freezer to cook with.  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

gomezz

asthma uk has updated their advice again today including a revised table of medications / dosages

https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/coronavirus-covid-19/
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

hope0101

gomezz what has 'asthma uk has updated their advice again today including a revised table of medications / dosages' got to do with people being vulnerable and needing 12 weeks off paid :/ tescos policy is derived from nhs guidence, not asthma uks, please explain

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

gomezz

Because the government's guidelines on over the 70s and the vulnerable specifically mentions those with "severe asthma" and the asthma uk information characterises what "severe asthma" means in terms of the medication / dosage used.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

hope0101

gomezz, NO IT DOESNT, please share your link, here is the quote from the nhs guidence which was updated on the 30th march, this is used by tesco to determine if people are eligible for 12 weeks paid leave

•   under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
•    chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

Nomad

In all this 'guidance' I have yet to see any mention of somebody who falls within multiple categories,  not to mention if they have a spouse as sole full time carer who also falls within more than one category.

Letter, what letter !
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

josephinebutler

Quote from: Mollymoomoo on 19-03-20, 07:22PM
https://colleague-help.ourtesco.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040320631-Coronavirus-latest-update
Forms etc .........at the bottom (pdf's)  this makes it clearer.

Does anyone have a public copy of this? I’m not staff anymore, so cannot access the link, and want to quote their own rules back at them. Bit of a running battle over ‘actual rules’ and ‘perceived rules’.

Welshie

Quote from: Nomad on 02-04-20, 11:45AM
In all this 'guidance' I have yet to see any mention of somebody who falls within multiple categories,  not to mention if they have a spouse as sole full time carer who also falls within more than one category.

Letter, what letter !

Dont know if this is what you mean but my husband has type 1 diabetes and stage 4 cancer with extensive spread  , he had treatment this week and was told by oncologist NOT to leave the house even higher risk just after treatment. 
He still hasn't got a letter , so how people are meant to know is beyond me !

NightAndDay

Just out of curiosity, did his cancer develop because of his diabetes or was it a seperate irrelevent development?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk