News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:25PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,120
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 298
Total: 302

Redundancy

Started by Nomad, 28-11-19, 11:05AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If offered would you take redundancy in 2020 ?

No
105 (14.4%)
Definitely
550 (75.7%)
Reluctantly
72 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Samantha

Quote from: Samantha on 08-01-20, 10:15PM
Just wanted to wish Lucgeo all the best in regarding the job hunting.
Like others have said on here, you have full potential and you area very hard working and dissent person.
All the best.

Apologies for the grammar.

lucgeo

Thank you Samantha for your sentiments which are much appreciated, and I wish you and yours the very best....now go.... your making me blush  :-[
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

flowerpower

Would like to say I took redundancy with just 6 years until retirement.  I had so many interviews lined up but got a job I wanted so didn't even go to other interviews and loving not being at stressco but did miss people I worked with at first but you make new friends at work . Its certainly not all doom and gloom out there .

BlueBoo

reluctantly.

I actually like working for tesco & I love our little store. good store manager, really approachable & all the guys on front end are great people.

T2019sackallmanagers

Then reapply after 6 months? Easy!

Baker4life

Stresco don't value the skill bakers provide. Will be s negative for our small store.

jonty

Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 12-01-20, 11:05PM

That's what I did in November. Now I'm about to go into consultation again  >:D

Jethro

Does anybody know, if its just the statutory part of redundancy that goes off your average weekly pay, or all of your redundancy?

lucgeo

Quote from: jonty on 28-02-20, 10:49PM
Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 12-01-20, 11:05PM

That's what I did in November. Now I'm about to go into consultation again  >:D

This is also a consideration regarding people dropping hours and staying...if you're unfortunately in this situation again further down the line, your redundancy offer will be worked out on your new hours and grade.

If anyone is thinking of taking redundancy and interested in enrolling for any further education, re training, then I would urge you to contact the local colleges or education establishments now, to see what courses are of interest to start in September. They should also be able to advise what re training, re education grants are available in your area, for you to apply. There should also be a local careers advisory service.

Some of the grants are time sensitive to apply and complete a course, so you would have your confirmation if the courses are applicable for funding and forms ready to apply from the offset. May is when colleges start to prepare for the exams, and lecturers or advisors may not be available to speak to. From mid June, a lot of the dept's will be closing down for the summer, and non contactable till September.

The 6 months, non means tested, Job seekers allowance starts from the last day of your redundancy, not the date you apply...and I found them to be quite laid back, fortnightly sign on, and they are understanding of your situation, and helpful. Possibly, because it's just a temporary six months you'll be signing on.

haventgotaclue

Always remember within retail you have so many transferable skills it's just finding someone to help.
Ie I did alot of work on stock control when I was a non-food team leader with regards to finding shrink and tracking losses, I ended up in a job in a financial technology company working as a charge back disputes analyst.  When I started I didnt even know how to type an email on outlook, no formal qualifications needed just nearly 20yrs experience in customer service, problem solving, working at pace, data analysis skills, able to work proactively etc etc etc all skills I've gotten from working in Tesco.
As a side note most colleges now offer free GCSE maths and english which can help also.
Age doesn't factor in either, attitude does,  just think when you go to interviews that you deserve to be there and if you sell yourself well and give great answers to their questions if you arent chosen then it's their loss and move on . Best advice I've recieved is getting myself knowledgable on the use of STAR format on job applications and interviews.

Baker4life

Does anyone know if this time round the affected bakery staff will get all the elements of redundancy like previous times? How upto date is the VLH calculator, as everyone seems to think it's very accurate, however no guarantee Tesco will pay that this time. I'm praying they will but wouldn't put anything past them. Until I see the figure Infront of me I won't believe it

Long gone

To BlueBoo, the store manager thing is an out and out lie. There is NO good store manager at Tesco, not one. That’s not conjecture that’s a hard fact. It’s unbelievable how they get to the position they do yet know absolutely nothing about the business or real life either.

Redshoes

Quote from: BlueBoo on 12-01-20, 09:41PM
reluctantly.

I actually like working for tesco & I love our little store. good store manager, really approachable & all the guys on front end are great people.

I like my job too and I also have a good store manager. I have worked for a few really good ones but only two bad ones.

As "Long Gone" has gone. Saying he/she is in a position to personally judge every sing store manager in every single store is a pointless comment. He no longer works for the company and has not met all store managers and the information posted is getting increasingly out of date. Sounds to me like he disagrees with discisions made by SM. That's fine, he can do that but ultimately it SM who is accountable and if they made bad choices it will affect the KPI's and will have to justify further up the line. We do all judge our sm's and that fine. I just object to someone who no longer works for the company judging my store manager who they have never met. Don't speak on my behalf, I am more than capable to do that myself. I don't think my sm is perfect but often the people who don't like them are the disruptive people who just don't like anyone.

Redundancy is a very hard decision, there is not a correct way to go but I hope the ones that do takevredundancy are the ones who want to. They must have a plan and options to move on. The ones who want to stay will find this whole thing much more stressful and as we are not clones we are allowed to differ in opinions and reactions. Sometimes being forced to take the plunge may push people into better things but sometimes someone who is confident and rushes forward finds that in the long term the grass is not always greener. This is not black and white. It will work for some but not everybody.

lucgeo

Quote from: Long gone on 01-03-20, 01:02AM
To BlueBoo, the store manager thing is an out and out lie. There is NO good store manager at Tesco, not one. That’s not conjecture that’s a hard fact. It’s unbelievable how they get to the position they do yet know absolutely nothing about the business or real life either.

Sorry I have to disagree, the majority of SM's I have worked alongside over the years have always been good. Only in the latter years we had two who...well...one had little empathy for anyone and lacked understanding that gloating about his new cars and the money he had, on every break, was a tad insentative and caused resentment to the low paid/low hour CA 's. The last, who is still there, has a deeper connection to her phone than the staff...and is a coffee addict.

One of our first SM's moved to a bigger store about 15 years ago, yet still shouts out Hi! When he sees us, and is always on the shopfloor at busy times with his sleeves rolled up and mucking in!

The local Tesco I now use, I know a couple of our old staff who transferred there when it first opened. I've never met their manager, but the amount of times they tell me what a brilliant guy he is, open and fun loving and just gets the best from his team and a whole load of respect.

NightAndDay

There's good and bad ones, your experience has been mainly good, mine mainly bad, it's the luck of the draw. But I know that compared to other roles, the worst store manager compared with the best store manager has a far greater difference in desirable attributes than other roles, this is in part due to there being no real requirements except being competent and your superior liking your gumption.

Mrbline

[admin]Please do not raise same point in two topics. Nomad.[/admin]

KMC03

Hear there is a structure related call on Monday 8th for SM and SD, anybody heard anything?

Redshoes

No redundancies, no soft structure. Just vacancies not being filled in certain roles now and going down the line in the future but it's hard to know what it will look like for all as individual stores are different. Managers not to be told jobs vulnerable if in those roles as job not vulnerable until it's becomes vacant.

Goldielocks

Transparency I think not

Redshoes

But job is not at risk until someone leaves. Not the same for all stores. Affected people always told first and that's as it should be but once they know the info will be shared and we shall see. Affected managers will be those that end up with bigger roles, no idea what happens if this is resisted.

dairyfresh

Metro shift leaders changing to shift managers

penguin

Is the role changing in Metro or just the job title ?
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

BlueToon

Quote from: Long gone on 01-03-20, 01:02AM
To BlueBoo, the store manager thing is an out and out lie. There is NO good store manager at Tesco, not one.

I have to disagree with you on that.
I actually know one who is a good, open (& honest) manager.
Mind you, in the 15 years I have worked for them, that is probably the only one who fits both of those categories :-)

NightAndDay

Quote from: dairyfresh on 05-06-20, 10:10AM
Metro shift leaders changing to shift managers

How they can do that for Metro and not Express confounds me, Shift Leaders in Express are usually the duty manager, in Metro there's always going to be other shift leaders or higher.

penguin

Unless the managers below store manager in Metro are going and shift leaders being renamed and expected to pick more tasks up, a bit like when deputy managers and the last service and replenishment managers went in express and team leaders became shift leaders.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk