Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:13AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 287
Total: 291

CDD name badge and the law?

Started by gomezz, 15-09-20, 11:08AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

I have raised this in the all departments forums as I think a wider reach to VLH members would be useful.

Prompted by the other topic on what name can be put on the usual store colleague name badge I was wondering if the the rules for CDD name badges are different or are we also allowed to use an alternative name?  Or given we are dealing with customers at or in their homes this is not allowed.  The name badges also show the employee number so that would not be a bar to the company identifying a driver in the case of a complaint not to mention that the the van allocation and routing information could also be used to identify which driver was where and when.

But just wondering if the law on CRC (or whatever it is called these days) overrides that and insists that our real name is used?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

barafear

A lot of Googling came up with "first name is ok" (company may insist on real first name)
it's when companies insist on first name and surname that GDPR becomes an issue - someone might use social media to track you down and cause you some sort of miscomfort (for want of a better word) - might be stalked, might have property damaged, might generally become unpleasant.

NightAndDay

You'll find retailers such as Tesco always scrape the bottom of the legal barrel when it comes to adhering to employees rights according to the law.

Redshoes

Loads of people use another name on badge but it's generally the name people know them by. For example George Paul Smith uses his middle name and most don't even know his real first name is George.

just curious

Quote from: barafear on 18-09-20, 05:04PM
A lot of Googling came up with "first name is ok" (company may insist on real first name)
it's when companies insist on first name and surname that GDPR becomes an issue - someone might use social media to track you down and cause you some sort of miscomfort (for want of a better word) - might be stalked, might have property damaged, might generally become unpleasant.

If when companies insist on the first name and surname that GDPR becomes an issue then why do Some Tosco stores make tannoy announcement's in the store calling for Teresa Green , Chris Packet , Lucy Elastic to the checkouts please , could this not be a breach of GDPR calling for relief cashiers by their first and last name to the checkouts therefore making the public aware of a staff members full name.  ( The names I have used in this example are fictitious names made up for fun as you can possibly tell  :D :D ) .

barafear

Maybe thats why the tannoy announcements are almost impossible to hear properly. Tesco protecting themselves

Redshoes

We never use last names on tannoy. If there are two with same first name we use Susan from Non-Food or checkout Team Support.

newguy20

Have to say in my store never seen any reference to surnames. In fact only colleagues whos surnames I know really are ones who I have on facebook etc.

A while ago asked why we couldn't have the 'duty' rota pinned up behind CSD as often need to contact duty and yet don't know who it is, are given the run around... or simply someone wants to know when X manager is next in. Told no, can't do that, as it's personal information. However, it is in a non-public area and only needs to have first names on?
Actually surprises/amuses me how many depts treat rotas like state secrets! anywhere else I have worked there is a common notice board where staff rotas are so you know who you are on with, who you could swap with if needed etc...

gomezz

Interesting comments but nothing yet specifically about CDD name badges which is what I was asking about.

lucgeo

Request a new badge with just your chosen name on...if they refuse, they need to say why...there's your answer  :thumbup:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

gomezz

Not really.  Mistakes in process through ignorance are all too common in all walks of life.

penguin

Worth keeping in mind a grievance went in against a store manager a while ago who said someone had to have there official first name on a badge, this person has been known by another first name since the age of 3, outcome was you can have any first name or nickname your known by on name badges, apart of course from anything offensive.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

Quote from: gomezz on 20-09-20, 03:46PM
Not really.  Mistakes in process through ignorance are all too common in all walks of life.

Not in knowledge industries, normally Retail managers aren't adequately educated for the roles their job entails, in industries where education standards of their personnel are quite high, occurences of deviation from policy happens at a far lower frequency.

gomezz

Does not mean it does not happen at all.  Even NASA gets it wrong sometimes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk