News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

09-05-24, 04:43AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: imprint
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,485
  • Total Topics: 644
  • Online today: 228
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 226
Total: 226

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allhallowseve

USDAW
If I follow H&S I can not get 100% my contract you negotiated demands.
So implication is break H&S rules to keep my job!!
What sort of a Union are you? Stand up to Tesco.
At this rate hardly any of us will make it 3 months.

Pepsie

Also Break Health & Safety rules and loose job.
You sign your training records to say you have done training in H&S issues, so in the same sense you can be disciplined for breaking them.
Everyone is responsable for H&S (One of the questions is who is responsable for H&S Answer Everyone) not just the Health & Safety rep, so if you see something that is dangerous you are just as able to report it but as I found out a lot of staff will complain about it but do nothing about it.
A H&S rep will also report issues if a member of staff has reported them first and got no response. So instead of moaning about it try doing something about it yourself. You are just as responable.

allhallowseve

I dont need to say anything,theres a million cameras IGNORING FLTs turning in the air above my head and pickers jumping off moving trucks.If Tesco wanted to do anything about H&S they have the evidence on tape!
When was the last time a FLT driver was disciplined in your DC for turning in the air? And as for the distance rule,does pushing my truck out of the way with a full pallet count as safe distance?
Theres a culture in Tesco of not seeing.The Union are aware of it,the H&S reps are aware of it,the Managers are aware of it.
You dont need me to tell you.
Its all 100% nothing else matters.
If you dont believe me go out tonight and report everyone you see jump off a truck and turn in the air,then tell me how many of they lost there jobs thru it.None.
But fail to do 100%...gone!

allhallowseve

Its not just my new DC,I was sent training and it was really dangerous there.

savebrickhillstores

the beaver of bodmin

could any of you guys or gals let me know of which depots your talking about, i know myself that this goes on alot accross many depots. The performance is put before safety!
someone as mentioned in previous post's let your safety reps know and union reps e.t.c, don't think i am being fickle here, they already know and have done for a long time! obviously health and safety gets discussed in meetings e.t.c and posters go up on the forum boards, but i think majority know who work in distribution if your not doing your percentage and you say your sticking to health and safety this gets ignored and you go through the syp process. Also if your doing your percentage and breaching health and safety this also gets ignored and you get a pat on the back for a good job well done! things will change in the near future as no one as the right to force you to work under this kind of pressure and breach health and safety!! :)

allhallowseve

Daventry days on new contract,was trained at Lichfield days.
We heard that Lichfield have left Usdaw.Unite in now.
Think its to do with contracts and 100% rather than just H&S.But H&S non-existant in my opinion anywhere.
Im told 100% or sack impossible following training.

the beaver of bodmin

I feel for you allhallowseve, i have seen the the process at it's most ruthless. I know the contracts at dav are deffiantly not favourable regarding percentage and the time scale you have got to it hit it or your going through the syp process..
I would just like to say allhallowseve that in time everything that is happening accross majority of depots will get noticed as what is happening is not entirely humane  ???

allhallowseve

thank you,yes its depressing for sure,Im looking for agency work now just to keep earning,misses 6months gone and 1 kid to feed so I gotta find work. Thought Tesco could be job for life,how wrong I was. Knew that after 1 weeks training.
More than anything Im annoyed at Usdaw,they are letting tyhem get away with murder.I joined Unite and will stay a member wherever I end up next.

bloodhound

Quote from: the beaver of bodmin on 28-08-11, 02:31PM
! things will change in the near future as no one as the right to force you to work under this kind of pressure and breach health and safety!! :)

Sad to say, although I agree wholeheartedly with you BoB, things will most definitely not change. The 'Working as trained' and 'following health and safety rules' only ever bear any significance during an accident investigation when they are quoted at you and used as a 'big stick' to pummell you with. For the purposes of everyday work, the only important thing is your percentage on the pick.

the beaver of bodmin

A message to bloodhound. things will change as we all know what as happened and is still happening is wrong. I will be posting something on here soon and i hope this will give you confidence that some people are fighting for what is right.  :-\

TescoCommando

Our loading dock does'nt function correctly; we can only use half of it. Management have known about this for months but, as usual, have been too lazy/stupid/cheap to get it fixed. It was'nt a major drama because the drivers were OK with unloading onto the half of the dock that did work.

Now some untermench of a H&S officer at Depot has decided that the LD is unsafe to use(in spite of the fact that we have never had any accidents and the drivers were perfectly happy to use the half that works). So now we have to unload in the Yard and pull every cage up a hundred yard ramp into the Warehouse. Just because some pencilneck REMF who has never worked a day in his pathetic, worthless life, has decided that this is somehow safer. >:(

[admin]Reference to violence deleted. Nomad[/admin]

bellyfull

TescoCommando, are you saying that the SSOW for deliveries to your store were being circumvented. whos decision was this?
If an accident happened such as the loading dock giving way and a backdoor person is crushed, what would be your expectations? I take it you're an expert whereby you state...(in spite of the fact that we have never had any accidents) I take it from that statement, your experience and knowledge of this equipment is greater than a H & S person?...Here's a clear understanding of H & S, if its broke get it fixed. Until it's fixed, don't use it, works for me.

the beaver of bodmin

feck who is making the decisions. time as come for everyone to stand together instead of everyone tweeting on here.. look out for the next big thing,, united together  :-\

TescoCommando

Quote from: bellyfull on 21-10-11, 10:57AM
TescoCommando, are you saying that the SSOW for deliveries to your store were being circumvented. whos decision was this?
If an accident happened such as the loading dock giving way and a backdoor person is crushed, what would be your expectations? I take it you're an expert whereby you state...(in spite of the fact that we have never had any accidents) I take it from that statement, your experience and knowledge of this equipment is greater than a H & S person?...Here's a clear understanding of H & S, if its broke get it fixed. Until it's fixed, don't use it, works for me.

Yes. Although I have to admit, that's not difficult. 8-)

bellyfull

Have you tried applying for the H & S committees Tescocommando? I'm sure you would add value at your location especially with having no difficulty with the knowledge of loading docks and their functions and mechanisms! 8) :P

allhallowseve

My final post. There is NO H&S at Tesco DCs.
Its target,target,sack.

the beaver of bodmin

I have set up a petition regarding all of these issues and more here:

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=11569.msg82293;topicseen#new

[gmod]Beaver, I have edited your post and contained a link to the petition topic instead so that all the information for potential signers is in one place and they can see the warnings we (mods and admin) have posted in the topic. [/gmod]

The Mrs

Quote from: Pepsie on 10-12-10, 10:42PM
Hi Does anyone know if Managers attend Fire Warden Training in Tesco We are told that all Managers are Fire Wardens in the case of a fire so surely they must have to have some training for this !!

I wonder if any of these staff had Fire Training?

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2011/november/28/store_staff_fight_blaze-1.aspx

troll

Hi can anyone help.

I work outside and what I'm suppied I don't feel is suitable.
we have to wear a fleece that indoor staff wear, but we also get a supposed to be waterproof coat that soaks through after 30 mins of rain. I normally wear my own black coat with my hi viz vest and have done for the past 10 years.

Now I'm being forced to wear their cheap rubbish, so is this against health and safety ?
I wear everything else uniform wise.

Thanks

Storck

I would suggest asking for a new outside coat and if that is as bad go back inside once the rain goes through and ask to stay in till it dries. They will soon let you wear your own coat. :)

Welsh-Hugh

Outdoor clothing is covered under Personal Protective Equipment regs.(PPE) It must fit you and be fit for purpose. If you need to work outside it must be warm, comfortable and be weather proof. If the clothing issued lets rain in then it becomes Not Fit For Purpose and you have the right to refuse going outside. Be careful not to refuse going outside because you prefer your own coat. You must say you refuse to go outside in the rain as the clothing issued is letting rain in and is not fit for purpose ,It must be ok use use in "Adverse Weather and Penetration" which in normal lanquage is rain and cold. If you use your own coat in the workplace then it must be CE kitemarked. If its not if you have an accident you wont have a leg to stand on. Check the CE kitemark on label.

Protecting the body
Hazards: temperature extremes, adverse weather, chemical or metal splash, spray
from pressure leaks or spray guns, impact or penetration, contaminated dust,
excessive wear or entanglement of own clothing.
PPE Regs are here http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg174.pdf

omg really ?

you know the poster on the wall called the HSWA 1974 it has a contact on it for your local authority report the matter ....  :'(

smitaly69

Can electric pallet trucks be used on the shop floor during opening hours?? Thanks.

Kipper11

We are a 24h store and they have to use them when the store is open, but it's after 10pm or thereabouts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk