News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 05:56PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 530
Total: 533

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrblobby

Quote from: Tape measure on 18-02-18, 03:44PM
The power of the lawyer is in the uncertainty of the law.

Jeremy Bentham
I think the law is too tipped in the favour of these no win no fee settlement companies, essentially
They are the ones profiting. I do understand that anyone should have the right to take legal challenges to court, but clearly the law is too grey in a lot of areas. It's getting the balance right. There are people that don't actually work and just take out claims for a living.

Welsh-Hugh

If Tesco do have to pay billions in payouts. It will only result in one thing. Thousands of further job losses and potential store closures. Those very same people who are crying they want same as DC staff won't give 2 hoots about their fellow store employees who loose their jobs or even their stores. I for one hope the claim fails

OpShunned

Yes, you've made that plain and clear.. thanks for your imput but can we now get back to concentrating on the many thousands of colleagues who are dancing to another tune?

Ps. It's lose not loose ok.

Welsh-Hugh

Keep dreaming of spending the money you wont get

OpShunned

I was going to praise you for being prescient and the like but you've merely alighted on the correct supposition by chance perhaps. I, can guarantee you, that I won't see a penny of any potential pay-out, much like I won't be taking up the opportunity to join you wonderful people at distribution. I WONT BE WITH THIS COMPANY MUCH LONGER!

Does that clarify it for you?

However, I hope the multitude of claimants can get whatever they can out of the robber-barons who've taken the money out of their pockets both here and in Ireland 🙏🏼

Nomad

Why is it apparently felt by some that a successful claim for fair and equal pay by some is considered a serious threat to the livelihood of others, yet a battle for a 'substantial' pay rise would probably be applauded by the same people, even though they are not within the fighting group.

In fact those fighting for a pay rise would be congratulated in the event of a 'victory'.

Strange  ???
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Duracell

Opshunned
So you won't be working for the company when they at the least try to offset the cost of their legal defence.

Hardly a surprise, Credit it to you for admitting it though

Nomad is that a trick question?

Who are paying now for the fines from the SFO?
Who paid the price for the mistake of going into America?
Who pays the price for every major kick in the balls the company gets or any cost that is forced on them?

Histrory should Answer part of your concern.
As for fully supporting a genuine claim for a substantial pay rise why wouldn't you.

So you have to ask why the claimants in their thousands didn't seek parity of pay through the pay review process?

While we are Hypothosising, I wonder if retail still had a vote on pay, how many of the claimants would have voted to Accept the deal. Probably best T can never get hold of that information or at least draw reference to a % in general.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Rigger

@Opshunned, you're clearly one of the disgruntled employees I mentioned earlier.

Also, seeing as you're being pedantic, it's input, not imput, ok  ;D

Welsh-Hugh

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Rad

Quote from: adamlad on 17-02-18, 10:47PM
The fact is that if Tesco is quick enough to abuse staff and exploit the law to rip people off I was a manager for 15 years I have seen it. I see it as fair game

This claim I would not call ridiculous Leigh Day has already spent 6.5 million funding the first claim regarding the double time and this claim will cost at least double that due to the larger number of claimants. A top law firm is not going to waste over 12m £ on nothing or something groundless.
Leigh day are not a top law firm.

Equalizer87

Quote from: Nomad on 18-02-18, 10:22PM
Why is it apparently felt by some that a successful claim for fair and equal pay by some is considered a serious threat to the livelihood of others, yet a battle for a 'substantial' pay rise would probably be applauded by the same people, even though they are not within the fighting group.

In fact those fighting for a pay rise would be congratulated in the event of a 'victory'.

Strange  ???

Totally agree  :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

alf

Not sure if a blog is exactly the best source.

But it doesn't really matter if Leigh day are the worst, the best, or somewhere in-between, it has no impact on the validity of the claim.

Their capabilities will likely have an impact on the success/failure of the claim, but I think analysing that is above any of our abilities

optout

Anybody any idea of the latest figure for participants in the case :question:

Oh and a reminder about the petition, if you can't take part in the legal action then please show your moral support here:

https://www.change.org/p/tesco-s-women-retail-workers-deserve-equal-pay-for-equal-work-tesco-s-women-retail-workers-deserve-equal-pay-for-equal-work
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

OpShunned

Quote from: optout on 19-02-18, 07:21PM

Yes, shitloads  :D

Who can claim?
Anyone, female or male, who has worked at a Tesco store in England or Wales in the last six years, or Scotland in the last five years.

If you have worked for Tesco for more than 6 years will be entitled to the maximum amount of back pay.

Should you wish to instruct Leigh Day to represent you in this claim, please fill out this short enquiry form or contact us at tescoequalpay@leighday.co.uk or on 0800 689 0570

Please be assured that strong victimisation laws are in place to prevent any negative action being taken against you for bringing an equal pay claim. If you have any concerns about this, you can call 0207 650 1228 and speak to our team in confidence.

mrblobby

Quote from: OpShunned on 19-02-18, 09:51PM
Quote from: optout on 19-02-18, 07:21PM

Yes, s***loads  :D

Who can claim?
Anyone, female or male, who has worked at a Tesco store in England or Wales in the last six years, or Scotland in the last five years.

If you have worked for Tesco for more than 6 years will be entitled to the maximum amount of back pay.

Should you wish to instruct Leigh Day to represent you in this claim, please fill out this short enquiry form or contact us at tescoequalpay@leighday.co.uk or on 0800 689 0570

Please be assured that strong victimisation laws are in place to prevent any negative action being taken against you for bringing an equal pay claim. If you have any concerns about this, you can call 0207 650 1228 and speak to our team in confidence.
Are you on their payroll,or taking bribes from them? If not, you should be!  :P

OpShunned

For you Blobby :P

as of march 2018

We are indeed making good progress, over a 100 claims have now  been issued at the Employment Tribunal and very large numbers of people are joining the claim every day.

Paula Lee --Leigh Day Associate.

In a similar vein

Morrisons is set to be the latest major supermarket chain to be hit by an equal pay claim.

Claimant law firm Roscoe Reid (please feel free to malign this company along with leigh day and pay justice) is representing hundreds of Morrisons staff who say they were under-paid compared to colleagues doing comparable jobs.

The claims centre on the difference between those working on supermarket shop floors and those in distribution centres.

http://www.cityam.com/281686/morrisons-latest-supermarket-hit-equal-pay-claim

optout

thanks for the update :thumbup:

Anybody aware of the name of Tesco's law firm? I would imagine that they would have one on retainer, or am I wrong?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

notsofunny

Only 100 claims have been issued ? and very large numbers are joining every day  ??? , but how come Tesco say they have still not got anything ?

Also was wondering , if they go ahead with this , Why would you want to join the law firm action , when if they win you will be having to pay them what is it 25% of the amount before tax , since the award would be for everyone regardless of if you join the group action or not  ??? sorry just thinking out load

OpShunned

You could also ask why some colleagues have put their names, and more bravely, their face and voice to the claim while others may choose to take a more conservative approach?

I get what you say but I'm more inclined to admire those who have publicly stated their stance and have to carry out their every day duties for months and months to come, looking over their shoulder, and perhaps, having to fend off personal attacks on their motives. This is just a faceless website!

lucgeo

In yesterday's loca papers.....Royal Mail female staff higher paid than male staff ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Welshie

Quote from: notsofunny on 07-03-18, 09:24PM
Only 100 claims have been issued ? and very large numbers are joining every day  ??? , but how come Tesco say they have still not got anything ?

Also was wondering , if they go ahead with this , Why would you want to join the law firm action , when if they win you will be having to pay them what is it 25% of the amount before tax , since the award would be for everyone regardless of if you join the group action or not  ??? sorry just thinking out load
Gonna be honest , that's exactly what I thought  , if case won everyone will get a pay out or at least get a pay rise, why risk it ? I admire those that do though , sometimes you can only be pushed so far and one person who was interviewed said the lose of double time on a sunday was the last straw for them !

Charlie Harper

[gmod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/gmod]

I can only echo these views....if they win, we'll get it anyway, no need to sign up to anything.

Personally I don't hold out too much hope for them, different jobs within the same company equalling a different pay is hardly unusual.

OpShunned

Upwards of 3,000 Sainsbury employees have signed up with Leigh Day to fight their claim so perhaps it says more about the solidarity of that crowd or they feel there's weight in numbers? Maybe there is more cohesion and less division, who knows?

This isn't about 'different jobs': it's about jobs of 'equal value'. There is a huge difference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk