News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:01PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 293
Total: 299

Face Masks

Started by Welshie, 10-07-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Wonder how many who say they do not have to wear a mask as it is not mandatory, wear staff uniform because they are told they have to, or other company rules to keep their employment.

Why do they do that  :o  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

Large Aldi last Friday, very few people wearing masks, definitely no staff..as a resort area popular with Manchester/Liverpool, large influx of caravan sites, hotels and day visitors, shopping, mingling in large groups, no social distancing whatsoever  :-X

Popped into small local Tesco today 8am...really reassuring to see ALL staff wearing face masks or looser scarf/face mask combined, including SM (who, as usual was filling) Customers following suit, and being reminded of barrier line at checkout. More impressive being, this is in Wales, where the wearing of face coverings is NOT mandatory  :thumbup:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lemons84

In our store Dotcom team leaders are going around asking the pickers why the aren’t wearing face masks.

Many of us have our reasons- Health/ anxiety etc and have previously stated why they aren’t wearing one. Fair enough..

This is being done under the guise of a ‘Service check’ on staff.. checking uniform etc..

This is being done on the shop floor in front of customers and other staff- staff are expected to explain themselves on the shop floor which in my opinion isn’t professional ( Tesco professional?!) Considering we’re divulging personal information I think it’s out of order.

Are they allowed to do this or would a quick chat off the shop floor be more appropriate? I’m unsure who to complain to about this !

Hammer10

At their meeting before their shift starts should be when it is addressed.

gaz123

"Anxiety"? FFS.

taliahad

Quote from: Nomad on 03-08-20, 04:53PM
Wonder how many who say they do not have to wear a mask as it is not mandatory, wear staff uniform because they are told they have to, or other company rules to keep their employment.

Lots of people I should imagine but then again wearing a uniform is a reasonable rule.  I'm happy to wear a uniform, it's comfortable, provided free and saves me the effort and expense of buying my own work clothes.   Masks however are uncomfortable and they're hot and they get in my way, they're a bother and a nuisance  That's the difference. 

Munchkin

You don't have to wear a mask there's your answer it's not compulsory not essential to your employment no other explanation needed

Bacons

Uniform and rules are mandatory. Face masks aren't. It's quite simple. It is stated explicitly in the missive posted few pages back.

Nomad

Bacons, care to point out where that is.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

Quote from: Bacons on 06-08-20, 07:40PM

Uniform and rules are mandatory. Face masks aren't. It's quite simple. It is stated explicitly in the missive posted few pages back.

As a Retail employee, it isn't mandatory to wear a facemask at work as it's stated so in the law, however, the law lends itself to the unsavoury category of state of exception, or to apply to some but not to others. In fact it shows how subjectivity in the lawmaking process leads to nonsense being forced on to the people ( and why people need to leave the law making to the  500 iqs, not the politicians).

So yes, it isn't mandatory, but common sense that a mask should be worn while working as not to upset the antiestablishmentarians out there (there's more than people think.) As well as the obvious of preventing infection.

Nomad

Mandatory, can be that which is ordered by legislation OR by a person, company or organisation that deem it to be mandatory.

I.E. if company/management state you must wear certain uniform including a mask etc then it is mandatory (bar exceptions).

Mandatory is not a word that applies solely to government legislation.

I.E.  It is mandatory for you to wipe your foot wear before entering my home.  if you do not then I can refuse you entry.   8)

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

I wasn't aware that Tesco themselves made it mandatory, I thought it was more of a managerial style choice.

Nomad

Even if it is a local management decision then it may still be mandatory under the 'reasonable request' principle.

If I had no exception due to health, then I would not want to argue that it was unreasonable.

We can go round in circles.  However, and I hate to say this, the basic principle of employee - employer( and by extension MM) relationship is that they can tell one what one is required to do (within reason).
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

alf

3. What should I do if a colleague refuses to wear a mask?
Wearing a face covering can be uncomfortable and you should take the time to understand the colleague’s concerns and if they are exempt for any reason. It is strongly recommended by the Government, that colleagues working in store wear a mask, but it is ultimately an individual’s choice and responsibility. Where there is a significant concern, we should offer a face visor (if available) as an alternative to a mask before considering non-customer facing duties. 

That's for England/Wales/NI, reading the policy it seems the wearing of face coverings is different in Scotland, as it is legally mandatory for retailworkers as it is for customers.

NightAndDay

That is as it should be, it's a senseless provision to only make it so for one category of people but not for others.

Nomad

Alf, thank you.  That does seem to make it clear that company policy, exc Scotland, removes the ability for local MM to make it mandatory for local staff to wear masks.

Agree NightAndDay. I and my family member, who is in the high risk category, have been shopping early this morning and I would have lost count, had I been trying, of the number of staff who not only passed very close but came and stood nearby to achieve their task(s), and yes I do appreciate some of them may have a health exception.

I am sorry for taking this thread a little of track due to, in my opinion, that there were those who either felt or believed that the term mandatory could only be applied to government legislation.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

manbearpig

Face masks make the customers feel invincible like the virus is gone. I've been filling shelves and have at least 5-6 customers per shift either come up right beside me or literally over me to grab something off the shelf, not even an "excuse me" or nothing, it's like I'm invisible to these people. Social distancing has gone out the window.

expressman77

Quote from: gaz123 on 06-08-20, 05:33PM
"Anxiety"? FFS.
Not sure what you mean "anxiety FFs", you think that's not  a reason for not wanting to wear one.
Guess you don't suffer from it and and how sometimes having something over your face can make you feel more stressed and anxious.

expressman77

Quote from: taliahad on 06-08-20, 05:46PM

Lots of people I should imagine but then again wearing a uniform is a reasonable rule.  I'm happy to wear a uniform, it's comfortable, provided free and saves me the effort and expense of buying my own work clothes.   Masks however are uncomfortable and they're hot and they get in my way, they're a bother and a nuisance  That's the difference.

I think catching Covid and needing a ventilator is more of a nuisance, don't think wearing a mask to help not spread it isn't that unreasonable.

Nomad

I would imagine there would be some claustrophobics that have a problem with having a mask over their nose and mouth.  Some may even work in a supermarket due to its general nature of being large and open.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Duff McKagan

Pretty much nobody is wearing face masks in our store...a handful of staff including myself and that’s it..nobody is challenged. There’s one tiny sign on the front door and that’s it...it’s not taken seriously at all...the whole pandemic hasn’t been taken seriously to be honest, it’s been a joke.

Mark calloway

Quote from: expressman77 on 08-08-20, 10:34PM
Quote from: gaz123 on 06-08-20, 05:33PM
"Anxiety"? FFS.
Not sure what you mean "anxiety FFs", you think that's not  a reason for not wanting to wear one.
Guess you don't suffer from it and and how sometimes having something over your face can make you feel more stressed and anxious.
I suffer from anxiety,I take medication daily, I'm wearing a mask. Just wear the darn thing. It's amazing how many people now seem to suffer from anxiety, asthma, claustrophobia etc.

gaz123

Quote from: Mark calloway on 09-08-20, 12:18PMIt's amazing how many people now seem to suffer from anxiety, asthma, claustrophobia etc.
So many 'special snowflakes' these days.

Mark calloway

Certainly is.

King1999

So many opinionated,entitled there are as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk