Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:06PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 318
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 265
Total: 271

Shielding discrimination for Welsh store employees

Started by skyray, 21-12-20, 09:12AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyray

According to the email sent out late last night signed signed by Jason Tarry  (Tesco Managing Director UK) in England the very vulnerable (CEV)  Tesco employees + the clinically vulnerable Tesco employees (CV) who live in Tier 4 areas should not come into work from today - but will be paid with sick pay and company top up. HOWEVER - the same apparently does not apply to Welsh Tesco employees who despite also being in a Tier 4 area (all of Wales is now in Tier 4)are apparently expected to come into work. WHY?????

Pathfinder

Every one of staff who had option to shield last time all came to work , not sure why Welsh stores aren't treated the same though.guess we are playing for the other team not the one team we hear about .

Welshie

It's the same in Northern Ireland.  As of boxing day we go into full lockdown for 6 weeks  , everything bar schools with an added curfew between 8pm and 6pm for the first week .  It comes down to government advice , Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and all other tiers in England , advice is CEV should work from home if they can . Tier 4 if you cant work from home stay home . It's very concerning for those vulnerable colleagues as everywhere is getting worse .

dotnochance

notsofunny

Quote from: skyray on 21-12-20, 09:12AM

According to the email sent out late last night signed signed by Jason Tarry  (Tesco Managing Director UK) in England the very vulnerable (CEV)  Tesco employees + the clinically vulnerable Tesco employees (CV) who live in Tier 4 areas should not come into work from today - but will be paid with sick pay and company top up. HOWEVER - the same apparently does not apply to Welsh Tesco employees who despite also being in a Tier 4 area (all of Wales is now in Tier 4)are apparently expected to come into work. WHY?????

Is tier 4 in wales the same as in England ?  remember when Wales ,Scotland and NI decided on how to manage things they set up the rules them self ,so is it not the case that wales needs to be clear on what they want the CV groups to do ? after all its not for Tesco or anyone else to over rule the Local Governments , as it stands  not all of England is in tier 4 so those Tesco workers that are not in tier 4 are working ,  thats my take on it ,

i think the point being made in the post is that tesco are now changing how they approach this group. only a few weeks ago tesco decided to treat all of its CEV colleagues the same across the uk. now they are seemingly doing it nation by nation on the advice of the cmo. either way that does not help colleagues who are in areas of the uk with higher cases of covid than a tier 4 area in England.  bottom line is working in a supermarket at this time of the year with the amount of people carries a risk of catching the virus- even more so for CEV staff. if tesco cared as they say staffs health is important they would not have changed position on supporting this group. 

notsofunny

Which to me would mean that those in each country that do not advice the EV to stay at home do not care for those that live in that country , after all if they did then they would advice everyone not just those in the situation of being EV in  to stay at home , after all why should the council worker that is EV in say wales have to go to work when those in Tesco or any other company be asked to stay home , I think the last word should be with each country to decided no a company to get involved with ,

exactly all the cmo should get together and decide on a plan and stick to it but tesco has annoyed people as they have not taken this approach all along. when england went into the 4 week lockdown tesco send the CEV off regardless of where they lived. now the virus is worse and the same is not happening. it comes  across as tesco just does not really care and they are only doing it because they have to. 

Welshie

It is the responsibility of the devolved governments and there seems to be no consistency from them .  For many they seem to think that if you're CEV you must not work or you have a desk job that you can work from home . The numbers in stores atm is crazy and needs to be reduced also .

notsofunny

Quote from: .....1 on 21-12-20, 04:28PM
exactly all the cmo should get together and decide on a plan and stick to it but tesco has annoyed people as they have not taken this approach all along. when england went into the 4 week lockdown tesco send the CEV off regardless of where they lived. now the virus is worse and the same is not happening. it comes  across as tesco just does not really care and they are only doing it because they have to.

It might come across as if they dont care , but to be honest no matter what they do we will always find something to pick up on , I think I said some place that it was unfair for Some of those Shielding having to use up sick leave they have never used when others that have used up all the company sick leave are still getting it topped up ,  Its the same as some will begrudge those that are EV from having to stay home and getting paid , at the end of the day if the leaders of the 4 nations cant work together why should Tesco or anyone else work with them ,,,

sassycat

Some people however take advantage. Also they should use their holidays that are pre-booked as have staff that have worked right the way through this pandemic, being able to carry them over is hardly fair.

StephenL

Quote from: Welshie on 21-12-20, 10:32AM
It's the same in Northern Ireland.  As of boxing day we go into full lockdown for 6 weeks  , everything bar schools with an added curfew between 8pm and 6pm for the first week .  It comes down to government advice , Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and all other tiers in England , advice is CEV should work from home if they can . Tier 4 if you cant work from home stay home . It's very concerning for those vulnerable colleagues as everywhere is getting worse .

Seemingly the advice for clinically extremely vulnerable in Northern Ireland has changed and with effect from 26th Dec they have been 'advised' to stay home.  It will be interesting to how Tesco interpret that advice as it clearly puts the emphasis on the employee, rather than the employer.   Here's the actual statement:  "This has now changed, however, and from December 26 those who are extremely vulnerable are advised not to attend the workplace. Healthy officials stressed it was advice only and people were free to make their own judgment on if they attend work."

Sharonj28

Please can you help if i have to self isolate will i get paid .Thank you .I have a relative who has arrived from Africa and have been advised to isolate

notsofunny

Quote from: StephenL on 23-12-20, 12:51PM
Quote from: Welshie on 21-12-20, 10:32AM

Seemingly the advice for clinically extremely vulnerable in Northern Ireland has changed and with effect from 26th Dec they have been 'advised' to stay home.  It will be interesting to how Tesco interpret that advice as it clearly puts the emphasis on the employee, rather than the employer.   Here's the actual statement:  "This has now changed, however, and from December 26 those who are extremely vulnerable are advised not to attend the workplace. Healthy officials stressed it was advice only and people were free to make their own judgment on if they attend work."

That advice has always been the same  , so its not a matter of anything new in the part that says ADVICE , which is advice to the workers , and as such Tesco told everyone with that letter to go home , regardless of if they work in Wales/England /Scotland or NI

notsofunny

Quote from: Sharonj28 on 23-12-20, 05:25PM
Please can you help if i have to self isolate will i get paid .Thank you .I have a relative who has arrived from Africa and have been advised to isolate

Some people from some country's that come to the UK are told to Isolate for 14 days when they come to the UK , It does not mean that they have the Virus its just a precaution ,and as such you should be still going to work , So does the person have the Virus ?  from my understanding they would have been tested before they are allowed on to the plane to the UK , as it is isolation means for them to stay in One room to safe guard you and others ,  as to getting paid yes you will get SSP if they have the  coronavirus symptoms and tested positive , I hope they have Insurance since from what i have been told they will get charged or you will if you have sponsored them , Hope it does not come to that ,,

notsofunny

Quote from: sassycat on 22-12-20, 07:05PM
Some people however take advantage. Also they should use their holidays that are pre-booked as have staff that have worked right the way through this pandemic, being able to carry them over is hardly fair.

Pre booked holidays are used up i have seen that with many of those that Are EV and shielding ,

Redshoes

Quote from: Sharonj28 on 23-12-20, 05:25PM

A new varient has been found and those who have arrived from South Africa are to quarantine. If in doubt on what you should do you should go through the NHS for professional advice. Things change, rapidly at times. Different areas have different restrictions but I would think that your relative will have some sort of track and trace in place, this might be enough to inform you what you need to do but under the circumstances "I think" is not good enough. You need to know for certain.

Welshie

Quote from: notsofunny on 22-12-20, 01:36PM
Quote from: .....1 on 21-12-20, 04:28PM
It might come across as if they dont care , but to be honest no matter what they do we will always find something to pick up on , I think I said some place that it was unfair for Some of those Shielding having to use up sick leave they have never used when others that have used up all the company sick leave are still getting it topped up ,  Its the same as some will begrudge those that are EV from having to stay home and getting paid , at the end of the day if the leaders of the 4 nations cant work together why should Tesco or anyone else work with them ,,,
The one person I know that's used all their company sick pay , statutory  sick pay and holidays and their money is being topped up has incurable cancer . I think maybe a bit of credit for making the effort to go into work to begin with . The CEV are people that many of whom could sit at home on benefits but choose to earn a living , I'm sure many would be happier to be healthy and be working instead of shielding.

notsofunny

I agree with you , many of my friends could be sitting at home claiming but those that have grafted all these years just want to get on with it , I even have friends that have asked to be allowed to come into work but have been told clearly no they cant ,

One friend with over 25 years service and never having taken a single day sick is more upset about his record showing he has taken sick due to being  told to shield just one year before he is due to retire ,

As to the friend that has Cancer I am lost for words , seen to many old friends have it and have never been able to express what i truly feel  when talking to them ,

Welshie

Northern Ireland has now been brought into line with rest of UK and CEV staff to shield from 26th dec . Hopefully we6all have a happy healthy and safe xmas and new year

emx279

hi, I'm cev and in England, I am being paid statutory sick pay only is this right?  I didn't get anything last month,  got told I would get it in this month's payslip but I haven't? I got sent home in December when we moved into their 4, I don't really know what to do?

Redone1

forrestgimp

Quote from: emx279 on 04-02-21, 11:05AM
hi, I'm cev and in England, I am being paid statutory sick pay only is this right?  I didn't get anything last month,  got told I would get it in this month's payslip but I haven't? I got sent home in December when we moved into their 4, I don't really know what to do?

Wow that is completely wrong, Im off too and got my full wedge friday as normal.

Redone1

After some advice. Currently of shielding due to be ecv. But have a major op happing next week. And will put me off work for another 4 months to recover. Now will I still get paid shielding pay, Until lockdown is lifted then ssp. Or will Tesco code it as ssp from the date of my op.

Redshoes

It won’t make much of a difference at first, unless you have used up all your sick pay. It’s only going down the line that it might. If things change with COVID and ecv colleagues can come back to work, you will just be on sick pay. If you have run out of regular sick pay being cev will put you on normal pay. Your sick pay re-starts on your annual start date.
I think being ecv trumps anything else. You could not come back to work at the moment anyway because of this. The operation contributes towards this, at first anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk