News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:37PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 296
Total: 299

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TescoCommando

Funny, but I've never been physically assaulted by a manager or customer. Maybe the fact that I'm 6'2", weigh about 107kg and my main hobbies are Martial Arts and weight training might have something to do with it... >:D

Loki

Ideal candidate to be assaulted then.

TescoCommando

Yin Yang

Martial Arts didn't help Bruce Lee or his Son, Besides if it can be shown you are compitant at it you would be expected to show restraint or reasonable force in defending yourself very often just because you can means you shouldn't.

l8r

... but every little helps .....

Loki

Besides, why rodomontade?

Take Yin Yang for example. He does not need to promulgate the fact that he is the epitome of a Male Adonis.

Yin Yang

;D ;D ;D ;D someones been on the sherbet it's 'An Adonis'.

Yin Yang

Rodomantade  :o Promulgate  :o Epitome even.... To be let down by 'Male Adonis'
:'( :-X

Loki

Adonis Male Stripper.  :-X  You know what I meant you 'reflection of perfection'.  ;D

Yin Yang

Loki

We're fired!  ;D

Attacks on staff? What about attacks on VLH members? Happens all the time. Where's the VLH Grievance Forms?  :D

Yin Yang

If we return to Attacks on staff, if physical, Notify a manager and the police straight away.
If you have been assaulted, you don't need to or shouldn't have to wait to inform the police. It is your right to inform the police straight away.

TescoCommando

Quote from: Yin Yang on 16-06-12, 11:33AM
Martial Arts didn't help Bruce Lee or his Son, Besides if it can be shown you are compitant at it you would be expected to show restraint or reasonable force in defending yourself very often just because you can means you shouldn't.

Which is exactly why I refuse to help tackle shoplifters. If I hurt them - and I probably will because it's difficult to restrain someone who is trying to escape or attack you without hurting them, especially if they are under the influence of drugs or booze - Plod are going to come down on me like a ton of rectangular building things.

It should be remembered that lawyers, judges and most police couldn't fight their way out of the proverbial wet paper bag and have no idea just how scary and ugly real violence is. 8-)

l8r

Quote from: TescoCommando on 16-06-12, 05:28PM

It should be remembered that lawyers, judges and most police couldn't fight their way out of the proverbial wet paper bag and have no idea just how scary and ugly real violence is. 8-)

Well said Commando

TescoCommando

Yin Yang

Tescocommando, I sympathise with your point of view and the position you may find yourself in.
I'm not sure I agree with all you have said and am some what surprised, your hobby is enjoyed by millions from all walks of life including all the professions you mention. I have had the pleasure in the past of assisting with NVCQ with the likes of lawyers and JP's and judges, they give a great insight into what is actually reasonable force and what isn't and have influenced the circles and teachings of many styles to enable those styles to adapt to what is exceptable to teach in a more modern society.

Loki

Tesco Angels.

The new breed of vigilante.

The ultimate solution to Freedom from Fear.

TescoCommando

As the old saying goes, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". What is deemed acceptable in the cold light of a court room, or a safe, warm dojo for that matter, can be very different from the reality of some vicious little scumbag trying his best to punch, kick, bite or stab you. Or, indeed, any combination of the four. Including all of them pretty much simultaneously.

Even a hard sparring or rolling(grappling)session in the academy does not fully prepare one for the reality of a serious, violent confrontation. I try my best to avoid such situations, but if I'm ever forced to defend myself, rest assured I will attempt to cause the maximum possible damage to my attacker in the minimum time. And I won't stop until I am absolutely sure I am in no further danger. As far as I'm concerned, if he's still breathing at the end of it, that is "Reasonable Force."

The vast majority of judges, lawyers etc will not have thrown a punch in anger since their schooldays. In the case(pun intended)of judges, that's roughly half a century ago. So they have about as much understanding of the realities of violence as I do about String Theory.

Loki

Seems to me that Tesco have a few quarks short of an atom.

Back to topic:

Do Tesco, in general, provide adequate Security so as to protect staff from being attacked?

Should Tesco ONLY provide Security via the hiring through professional Security Firms?

TescoCommando

1)No.

2)Define, "professional security firms". The vast majority of security firms, much like Tesco itself, pay peanuts and hire monkeys.

Yin Yang

Loki, enough to protect, as in stop? Is that possible?
Do some guards give enough of a presence to make people think twice both individually and in numbers? Personally I don't think they all look the part and there certainly isn't enough of them particularly in the bigger locations.
Personally I think Tescocommando's fortune of not being bullied or picked on is more to do with the physical size than anything else, such people have far more of a presence as security than some guards we see.

They should only use licenced Security companies and guards.

Tescocommando, I understand your comments about things being different to reality, it is difficult to show that techniques that are learnt would in reality not be fully executed because of the damage a few movements can do.  I find Mr Chan rather amusing to watch more a Kin to dance than self defense.

TescoCommando

You're absolutely right. Deterrence is the best defence, and a huge, ugly guy who looks like he could pimp-slap the Incredible Hulk will always be a more effective security guard in that respect than many highly trained and far more dangerous fighters.

The problem with using "professional" security companies, at least up here, is that many of them are controlled by organized crime.

Loki

Don't tell me. You live in Scotland.

The old Celtic "hard as nails" surfaces once again.

At the end of the day, Tesco should provide an adequate amount of licensed Security Guards.

Yin Yang

To make a distinctive difference more guards are required and the guards need to have more presence, as we have discussed having a particular skill may in the event of confrontation make things more difficult and may put you or your actions under increased scrutiny.

The role is all about creating a presence where the opportunity is limited or removed, the later in my opinion isn't possible, but it could definitely be limited by more guards and more apt guards in my opinion.

TescoCommando

Quote from: Loki on 16-06-12, 11:10PM
Don't tell me. You live in Scotland.

The old Celtic "hard as nails" surfaces once again.

At the end of the day, Tesco should provide an adequate amount of licensed Security Guards.

Point of order, old chap: the correct term for myself is, "Norse Gael" since my Father's ancestors came from Norway by way of Orkney. 8)

Which explains my occasional urges to rape, pillage and burn... >:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk