News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

23-04-24, 11:51PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,401
  • Total Topics: 637
  • Online today: 251
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 201
Total: 202

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironman78

that's what we do but unfortunately they still jump on the staff as soon as they see the reductions coming onto the shop floor :(

lucgeo

Used to have a regular who used the smart scooter every visit, and then would place it side on to the reduced cabinet, blocking any other customer getting a look in!! Ashamed to admit that I placed all the reduced on the higher shelves of the adjoining cabinet!! Hell she was off that scooter and wading into the scrum faster than The Bolt!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Ironman78

don't be ashamed your wording has a. summed it up brilliantly and b. made me laugh   ;D

TeamLeader

Cutting Security in Stores (especially Extras) a few years ago was the worst decision ever.
Security & Service go hand in hand. Customers and colleagues want to feel they're in a safe environment.

Nomad

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/crime/masked-men-threaten-northampton-tesco-staff-with-screwdriver-1-6956842

QuoteMonday 14 September 2015

Two masked men broke into a Northampton supermarket and threatened staff with a screwdriver.

The men entered the Tesco Express store in Bordeaux Close, Duston, through a back door at about 10.40pm on Sunday.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Equalizer87

Staff in Tesco's eyes are quite simply expendables assests. I have had many manager tell me to chase down a shoplifter, which I then refuse as its not my job and Safe and Legal states you should never put yourself at risk. So I stick to that.

TeamLeader

I think you will be hard pressed to find staff that feel 100% safe in their workplace. I always reserve the right, granted to me under UK law, to defend myself regardless of Tesco policy.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Loki

Drama has never been of any relevance to me and I feel just as safe at work as I do anywhere else.

However, I cannot speak for anyone else.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

helpme

When it comes to reductions in our store our girls take everything out back, reduce it then have a few members of staff cover them while they throw it on the shelves and beat a hasty retreat. The fact that each night of the week you know exactly who is going to be there waiting should make management think(yes I know what you're thinking about that remark), about changing how its done.

Equalizer87

Loki

I said you would be 'hard pressed' to find people who  feel totally safe on shift , not impossible. I myself had had to 'double' as security on many occasions  due to our current security being useless. But I no longer take part in it.

As for myself, I have told every manager that if I need to I would defend myself.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Loki

Not that difficult, hence my reply.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Nomad

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/manager-at-ilford-tesco-store-threatened-with-knife-over-cans-of-red-bull-a2952456.html

QuoteOfficers said one of the men threatened a member of staff with a knife, before all three suspects left the store walking off in the direction of Brisbane Road.

Staff in the store said the men had been trying to take cans of Red Bull when the manager intervened to try to stop them.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

hellonearth

We have had no security guard on nights for the past 6 months as Tesco said they couldn't afford it for our store. A week ago tonight 2 staff members were taken to hospital after being attacked by 2 drunk, drugged up customers when they attempted to walk out with a case of cider, without paying. They smashed up 100's of pounds worth of stock in the foyer as they attempted to smash their way back in through the doors to carry on attacking the staff. One of them even injured a policeman when they came out.

http://www.wessexfm.com/news/dorset-news/1738774/two-men-charged-with-affray-after-staff-and-police-hurt-at-tesco-dorchester/

Nomad

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tesco-worker-threatened-knife-during-10497943

QuoteThe victim had finished serving a customer when a man walked into Tesco Express on Bury Street and ran towards him and jumped over the counter
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14127360.Tesco_worker_dragged_along_by_car_after_trying_to_stop_man_who_had_not_paid_for_petrol/?commentSort=score

QuoteA WORKER at a Tesco Express in Hampshire was dragged along as he tried to stop the driver leaving as he hadn't paid for his petrol.

The member of staff was dragged along for several metres and was left with cuts to knee and back, arm and shoulder injuries.

The member of staff gave chase and put his arm through the open car window, telling the driver to stop.

Brave but silly  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Red Rock

Would it be fair to say that Petrol Stations have cameras installed?  Therefore, would it best policy not to get yourself injured trying to apprehend an individual who had not paid for their fuel, but inform the police of the tea leaf and let them deal with the matter?  Don't become a victim!

BANDERSNATCH

Red Rock. It would be very fair to say that garages have cameras installed , my store has this , sadly the cameras do not work , on a happy note , the customer that used to pull up at the pump and beep the car horn demanding old fashioned service whereby a member of staff had to come out and fill the tank for her and was known for driving the car at PFS staff , hitting at least one.....Management did not ban because this customer used to spend a bit has been banned from driving for other reasons . Karma can be great.

Nomad

http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/traumatic_ordeal_for_staff_as_knife_wielding_thieves_raid_supermarket_in_stukeley_meadows_1_4360396

QuoteKnife-wielding thieves stole hundreds of pounds from a supermarket in Stukeley Meadows on Christmas Eve.

Police are investigating after two men entered the Tesco Express, in Wertheim Way, at about 9.15pm and demanded cash from the tills.

Detective Constable James Howard said: "The cashier handed over £600 cash and the men ran off in the direction of Lake Way.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

OpShunned

Might be a tad controversial  8-) but do you really need £600 in your till to start with?

Appreciate that customers may ask for cashback but isn't this a maximum of £50 anyway, and how many requests are made for cashback per batch of transactions to warrant carrying such a large sum?

Seeing that sum of money in a till will only act to serve as a temptation to opportunists if they see it so why not remove the stimulus?

Some continental retail companies have pledged to eradicate cash transactions in store to remove such threats such as this  ;)

It's high time large accumulations of  cash, in view to the general public, were made a thing of the past.

Just my opinion ;)

VladPutin

Quote from: Nomad on 07-12-15, 09:52AM
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14127360.Tesco_worker_dragged_along_by_car_after_trying_to_stop_man_who_had_not_paid_for_petrol/?commentSort=score

QuoteA WORKER at a Tesco Express in Hampshire was dragged along as he tried to stop the driver leaving as he hadn't paid for his petrol.

The member of staff was dragged along for several metres and was left with cuts to knee and back, arm and shoulder injuries.

The member of staff gave chase and put his arm through the open car window, telling the driver to stop.

Brave but silly  :question:

Bloody stupid. If they want to get injured dealing with thieving s***, while working for a discredited organisation run by morons and wearing a stupid uniform - they should do it right and join the police service. 8-) 

silverbackache

Idiotic comments just to get an effect.
Totally off topic as usual.
And always negative about everything, sooooooo boring now.   

VladPutin

If my comments upset you this much, you must be either a manager or a copper. Neither profession is worthy of much respect. ;)

Nomad

To return to this threads subject.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Appeal-second-knifepoint-robbery-Tesco-Express/story-28434388-detail/story.html

QuotePolice believe that a second knifepoint robbery at the Tesco Express store in Huntingdon is not linked to an earlier attack.

Two men who brandished a knife struck at the store in Stukeley Meadows on Christmas Eve and got away with £600 – just weeks after a similar raid in which £500 was taken from the store's till.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

VladPutin

s*** talk to each other. It's not unknown for shoplifters to share information on stores that have poor security etc.

Cairney39

To OpShunned, express stores cannot lift cash from the till until there's £500 in the till, we send the money away in bricks of £500 direct to the bank as we don't have the facilities Instore to bank and band it ourselves. Unfortunately it does mean that we can have a hefty amount accessible to robbers between the 3/4 tills we have in stores.

Heart goes out to those affected, it's horrendous when it happens to you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk