News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 09:20AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 425
Total: 428

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

Unzipping your jacket is outrageous, put in another grievance first thing in the morning to someone higher up that the person you last went to and get some support from your rep. This behaviour is a bloody disgrace and needs dealing with as a matter of urgency.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

artimis

Technically speaking putting hands on you at all can be considered assault. If my manager or anyone did that to me I would just call the bloody police. Suggest you get it on camera then call the police and fill out a report. Manager should lose their job for such actions.

Link110

Safety and security for colleagues should be a priority for Tesco. Out of all these replies I've read (some interesting tales I must say), is that if staff don't feel safe at their workplace. Whether it's on the shop floor, on the tills, or even on the car park for trolley collectors. Then what hope is there for customers?

From a customer's perspective, if they see a member of staff putting up with abuse from customers such as swearing, verbal threats or even grabbing them or throwing items at them. They're not going to feel safe are they?

The consequences are that the customer will either drop their trolley or basket, or get the shopping taken to the till to be paid. But when they leave, they won't come back. Not a cat in hell's chance.

At the end of the day. Customers won't want to do their shopping in a store where they won't feel safe and secure. Especially children, the disabled and the elderly.

It REALLY does PAY to keep investing on keeping stores safe and secure for staff. It'll benefit the customer as well. Obviously, Tesco don't see it like that. Profit margins over safety for them.

Nightmare

If an idiot is willing to abuse staff then they're hardly likely to discriminate between someone in a uniform or another customer. Either way anyone feeling unsafe is unlikely to wish to return & customers have a choice whose profit margins they support  8-)

Slummer, ye gads! I'm surprised you didn't give birth within 24hrs! I like to think I'd have answered the shirt query with something like, 'Cos it's not (expletive) bulletproof unlike your apparent lack of concern'. Taking a close colleague off the shop floor to go & sit with you awhile as you collected your thoughts wouldn't have hurt, even if you hadn't been pregnant. The factual tone of your post demonstrates you're not prone to dramatic behaviour (if that's even relevant) you should have been allowed the courtesy of knowing your own body & reactions then supported regardless (unless of course the assailant chose you because the unfamiliar attire beneath your jacket provoked him thus ensuring a lenient sentence should his actions have otherwise not been deemed socially acceptable  >:( )

If my manager was unzipping my jacket my other half would walk straight in & do the same to them... if he were in an affable mood  >:D

tumshie

Even if there had been no assault, and the manager just wants to check that you are wearing the right gear, unzipping your jacket is completely unacceptable.

As this behaviour of the manager's does follow on from an assault situation it is really a continuation of the assault, in my view.

I agree with the advice given by penguin :
Quote from: penguin on 15-06-14, 08:53PM
Unzipping your jacket is outrageous, put in another grievance first thing in the morning to someone higher up that the person you last went to and get some support from your rep. This behaviour is a bloody disgrace and needs dealing with as a matter of urgency.

7year_slummer

the grievance was put through my union rep , picked up by my hr manager who spoke to me about it and subsequently asked me to drop it ( to much paper work) shes not really a peoples person ( not a good role or her many people feel). i declined her offer and asked for it to put forward,
sadly i lost my child. these men have recently just been sentenced to 9 years each ( there was 4). This week we said good bye to our security guard! go figure !!
I am actually leaving in 4 weeks I've been offred work outside of the company, shame atfrer putting 7 hard years in my team are the most loveliest people to work with , the high anarchy are hell on earth, shame my previous manager duty n team leaders were the best weve ever had ..... im not a fan of the shop swapping lark

VladPutin

I'm sorry for your loss.

The behavior of the managers in your case was reprehensible but not, sadly, surprising. Frankly, you're better off out, and I hope you find success in your new job.

tumshie

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

If you want it to, your grievance can still go ahead even though you are leaving, as happyreturns pointed out in another topic.

I hope things go well for you in your new job.

mexicopete

I am also very sorry to hear of your loss.I'm with Tumshie on this one and would definately go ahead with the grievance,this manager needs to be sorted,good and proper and I believe a regional union rep.should be used to go after him and get him disciplined and hopefully sacked,which is befitting of his conduct regarding this matter.
Best of luck with your new job and as already said you are better off out of Tesco.
The worlds me lobster

troll-hunter

I am very sorry about your child. I would however certainly proceed with the grievance. The post by Happyreturns' mentioned by Tumshie, is probably the first reply in this thread http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=13875.msg132981#msg132981

Congratulations on your new job.

artimis

I am saddened to read of your loss and wish you well with your new role outside of This company. Take care.

happyreturns

7year_slammer, firstly may I, along with others who have offered their sympathies, also offer my sympathise to you for your sad loss.
Secondly in all that you have said has happened to you and the reactions of some towards you, had I been your rep I would give advised you to consider leaving the company and claiming constructive dismissal, I believe, given all you have said, that you would have had a vey good case.
However I don't believe that at this moment you have such a good case.
As already advised you should continue with your grievance as people have to be held to account for their actions and the actions  of some in this case need addressing and addressing very severely indeed.

VladPutin

7Year_Slummer, I can only echo what others have said: even though you are leaving, make sure you go through with the grievance. Any manager who behaves in this way should, at the very least, lose his job. Had I witnessed such actions by a manager, I would have no hesitation in reporting it to the police. Making physical contact with someone against there will is a Crime. There is no justification for what he did, and Tosco need to deal with this before he does the same thing to another member of staff. >:(

Nomad

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/11450417.Security_guard_punched_by_knife_wielding_attacker_at_Tesco_Express/

QuoteA SECURITY guard was punched in the stomach before his attacker fled wielding a knife at a Tesco Express in High Wycombe this afternoon.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

gold_xau

This happened last week.

The Tesco Express store at Herbert Avenue is currently closed, with both the shop and the car park sealed off.
Police have confirmed a robbery took place at 5.30am this morning.
Police are on the scene, speaking to members of staff and the public.
A member of staff was punched in the mouth during the incident.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11437273.Tesco_store_and_car_park_sealed_off_in_Poole/

penguin

Nomad

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/292168-supermarket-worker-injured-as-armed-thieves-hold-up-airdrie-tesco-express/

A supermarket worker suffered facial injuries after being assaulted by armed thieves at a branch of Tesco.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

The Mrs

Hope the three are OK soon. I guess there was no security then  8-)

penguin

Some moron decided to run into our store last night and chuck eggs at a couple of the checkout staff while one of there mates filmed the incident on his phone, both picked up later that night by the local constabulary hope they get the booked chucked at them for such disgusting behaviour.  From what we are aware this might have been started as the two lads involved were refused the sale of a box of beer due to no id the previous night.

artimis

Should get charged with assault if hit them or attempted assault if missed. If first offense probably get the £90 fine and a probationary period. People have to learn there are consequences to their actions.

Morris999

Prob just get Restorative Justice, seems to be the polices favourite way of dealing with thugs/thiefs at the moment!

VladPutin

Probably because anything more severe would mean Plod actually having to earn their wages. And the average Plod is about as enthusiastic about doing real work as the average Compliance or Personnel Manager... 8-)

artimis

I think everyone human and individual and should never tar any group with same brush. Police around me are driven, some just more so than others.

Jakabok

I'm insulted every time I refuse an age restricted sale, or questioned on my ability as a duty manager. Doesn't help that I'm young so I rarely get taken seriously.

Morris999

And then you are meant to record it on the Incident Reporting

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk