News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 09:31AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 441
Total: 446

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladPutin

I haven't done final reductions in a long time. Some customers did try to push me out of the way, but since I'm 6'2" and weigh north of 100kg, they usually just bounced off. ;D

The guys who do final reductions on a Friday night will often load a blue top full of reductions, wheel it through the back and reduce it there.

A couple of years ago, on Christmas Eve, I got very annoyed when two young women who were doing the reductions were getting shoved around by the customers. I mean literally pushed out of the way, stock pulled out of their hands, or shoved right into their faces while the customers demanded it be reduced. I politely asked the customers to give the two girls space and time to do their jobs. Of course, none of the customers took a blind bit of notice.

I also informed management of the situation. Another waste of breath. Finally I lost my temper and said, very loudly indeed,

"Ladies and gentlemen, if you're so desperate to buy the CHEAP STUFF, please give my colleagues a chance to reduce it!" The customers were so shocked that they actually paused in their pathetic feeding frenzy.

That got the managers attention, and one of them tried, unsuccessfully, to give me a reprimand. I pointed out that if he'd done his job, and the customers had shown some basic good manners, I wouldn't have had a sense of humor failure.

Andymac1111

Vladputin that happens daily in our store I've always said tesco needs to support the fresh staff more. My previous store manager called me a liar when I told him how bad it got till he saw for himself (never got a apology) the policy I have u take it before I do a final red u have it at that price. The fresh managers are supporting me and the regulars have a look of dread when they see me doing them

VladPutin

Indeed, that is exactly how it should be: if you pick up a reduced item, you pay for it at that price. If you want it cheaper, leave it until the GA has got round to reducing it.

Even the managers at my store had to crack down when they found customers filling trollies with reduced items and wandering around the store for an hour or so until it was time to bring it back for it's final reduction! :o

Nomad

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/crime/spared-jail-after-throat-slit-threat-1-5707437

QuoteA man who threatened to slit a Buxton shop assistant's throat with a sword, and bit a police officer in two separate incidents, has been spared jail.

:o wtf

Should being intoxicated be a mitigating condition in attacks or threats to staff ?, or anyone else for that matter.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/3252788

QuoteDavid Macleod, 42, tried to punch Roy Walker after going to an Aberdeen Tesco in search of out-of-date food. He also admitted causing damage to a car at the Rousay Drive supermarket by punching and kicking it.

Ages 42 and 50, are the 'older' generation getting worse ?
or following an example set by the 'younger' generation ?

when it comes to their attitude towards shop staff.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Loki

Whether young or old; people like that are human surplus.

the sparrow

I was held up at knife point and the attacker was held and collected by police. I awaited info and was then informed that their family had called into the manager and all charges were dropped. I still every now and then think about what might have happened. He had three kitchen knives and was out of his mind. Not a great feeling considering others involved got a claim

Nomad

I doubt very much that the manager had the 'right' to have the charges dropped, if they were not the one help up at knife point and threatened.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Andymac1111

Do fresh final reductions u get constant abuse and this week for example I have had my blue top shoved into me pushed out of the way abuse because it isn't reduced enough complaints against me because I refuse to reduce stuff that they have had in there trolley for 2 hours

VladPutin

I've been doing reductions(F/V)this week because our TL is on holiday. I'd forgotten just how unpleasant an experience it was. Fortunately I weigh north of 100 kilos and, while it's not all muscle, a significant percentage of it is. At least enough so that I'm not easy for customers to shove out of the way.

The fact that my face looks like someone set it on fire and then put out the flames with a baseball bat also helps to dissuade customers from taking too many liberties. >:D

I refuse to reduce items a customer has put in their trolley; you get it for the price that was on the sticker when you picked it up. 8-)

Nomad

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10765206.16_months____jail_for_violent_shoplifter/

QuoteSHOPLIFTER Warren Godsell, who left a supermarket worker with a double fracture to his leg as he struggled to get away, has been jailed for 16 months.

Some get their reward, just.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

tumshie

are staff given any training in how to detain someone who may be violent?

artimis

Security are given no practical training on how to detain violent people so no staff arn't.

tumshie

security should definitely get that sort of training.

t*sco might think it's not worth giving the training to thousands of shopfloor staff when only a few might ever need to use it - so it's not worth the few 'having a go' if they see a shoplifter, then, is it.

the-vortex

QuoteA spokeswoman for T*sco called it an "unfortunate incident" ...

An "unfortunate incident" :o :o :o :o :o :o >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

WTF!

I haven't read this theme before and this makes my blood boil.  If we so much as look funny at a customer it's disciplinary but they smack someone who is helping us do our job on the head with a "metal bat" and it's "an unfortunate incident".
Loyalty is a one-way street!

lackofinterest

Quote from: Andymac1111 on 26-06-13, 03:22PM
Do fresh final reductions u get constant abuse and this week for example I have had my blue top shoved into me pushed out of the way abuse because it isn't reduced enough complaints against me because I refuse to reduce stuff that they have had in there trolley for 2 hours
if it was my shop i would make sure twats like this were never allowed to enter my shop again, but unfotunately due to their own making(putting major shareholders before customers), they are now desperate for every customer they can get

penguin

I was assulted by a custermer a few years ago and the support I got from Tesco was a joke - the incident was serrious enough to close the store while police attended and all our EOM said is "that bloody shop needs to open immediatly or I will have you lot on warnings"
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lackofinterest

typical example of a greedy f***ing kn**h**d >:( >:( >:(

penguin

Best of it was it was the police who asked for the store to be closed while the forensic guy did his stuff, EOM was useless over the whole incident moaning on and on about would I make a meeting later in the week. Thankfully the area manager got involved and told me to take as much time off as needed and offered me the details of a councling service should I need it (declined the offer but was good of him to give me the choice)
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

VladPutin

Quote from: tumshie on 28-10-13, 10:05PM
security should definitely get that sort of training.

t*sco might think it's not worth giving the training to thousands of shopfloor staff when only a few might ever need to use it - so it's not worth the few 'having a go' if they see a shoplifter, then, is it.

Ironically, I have had quite extensive training in that area, since Martial Arts are a hobby of mine. But since Tesco do not employ me as Security, I am under no moral obligation to use whatever abilities I have on their behalf.

On Friday a manager approached me and told me she'd seen a couple of young men helping themselves to the loose Monkey Nuts. I politely reminded her that we had a contract Security Guard in store and she should direct her concerns to him. 8-)

tumshie

you can bet that if you, or the other person, got hurt during an encounter t*sco would deny all responsibility since they didn't train you to tackle shoplifters and it's not part of your duties.

(wonder how that guy with the broken leg is getting on with his SYA)  :-X

VladPutin

Exactly why I refuse to get involved. I'm not going to risk my health, job and liberty for zero support from Tesco.

If they're that worried about security in stores, they can employ full time, well trained Security Guards.

SillyCow

Would using the term "f*** Off" be referred to as abused toward staff?

th9

I used to work early morning shifts (6am but sometimes 4am at notice given the previous evening).  They killed me and I begged to move onto evenings.  Since this I have noticed a lot of unsavoury characters.  We are a city centre metro and so far I have had:

a drunken guy grabbing my arm, then when my scathing looks weren't enough, he went in for a ass grope and a kiss

a regular who comes in and stands behind me muttering, whilst rubbing himself whilst I'm stuck with a trolley reducing 30 odd sandwiches that will never sell at full price.

The last guy really creeps me out and I have complained to pretty much everyone but all I get is "you attract the weirdos dont you".  It's really stressing me out and I feel the blood pounding in my ears every time that guy is around me.  He only ever comes in for the really reduced stuff and no matter how many times I tell him I only do tomorrow's stuff he still stands and stares the whole time I'm reducing stuff, then walks away when I finally shove the last thing back on the shelf. 

It's gotten to the point where I actually tell him he's intimidating me and to give me some space. 

Tenko

Why not, as a suggestion, reduce something for him cheaply so that he will go away. Afterall you have complained about him, and it would appear that this complaint has fallen on stupid, sorry, deaf ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk