News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 11:14AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,365
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 386
Total: 391

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugh janus

At last, a subject where it can be believed that Happy Returns has actually had lots of experience; being threatened and abused!  ;D ;D ;D

I'm going to try your advice (that's advice HR, advice is a noun, it means 'a suggestion for a beneficial course of action', advise is a verb. It means 'to give advice') and ignore your response!  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: happyreturns on 04-03-13, 03:31PM
Ignorant people who rant and rave at other drivers are a mennis
Mennis is a genus of moth in the family Geometridae.  8-) 8-)

Nomad

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/armed-men-attack-tesco-supermarket-1747441

QuoteArmed men attack supermarket worker during failed raid in Ayrshire
6 Mar 2013 18:39

POLICE say no firearm was discharged but a 47-year-old member of staff was hit on the head during the incident at 6am.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

feefee

I have no idea how to post a question can anyone help. does anyone know if you can transfer from Tesco Uk to Tesco ireland

ilosecrumpets

feefee -
You cannot start a new topic unless you become a supporter of VLH - which is £2, well worth it and comes with other benefits. :)

feefee

Chairswan

Has anyone experienced any attacks between staff members?
ie GA attacks a manager over a silly argument about doing a bay change the wrong way? 
That's just a hypothetical example the way.  :o

VladPutin

Quote from: keithwill73 on 04-03-13, 04:19PM
security and managers job to detain shoplifters not g a s, And you are correct save the companys name sod the staff.

Agreed. If I wanted to tackle shop lifters etc, I'd apply for security. Or the police force, for that matter.

I'm not saying I wouldn't try to help if someone was being assaulted, but I'm not going to risk being hurt - or the legal consequences if I hurt someone else - to stop a shoplifter.

Jordan2510

So I was verbally attacked the other day and got issued with some very homophobic comments and threats from a customer.
I'm now petrified to back to work- so much so I'm having panic attacks and crying intermittently at the thought of going back to work.
What do I do?

Nomad

If I remember correctly on the staff benefits website their is mention of support and free 'professional' counselling for problems/stress occasioned due to an incident work.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

VladPutin

Quote from: MiniMonster on 08-05-13, 10:46AM
So I was verbally attacked the other day and got issued with some very homophobic comments and threats from a customer.
I'm now petrified to back to work- so much so I'm having panic attacks and crying intermittently at the thought of going back to work.
What do I do?

You may also want to consider involving the police; homophobic remarks and threats of violence could be regarded as a Hate Crime.

Jordan2510

Police have been informed and I'm willing to press charges also.
I'm not sure if work understand what this has actually done to me.

VladPutin

They damn well should understand. It is official Tesco policy to have Zero Tolerance for bullying, homophobia and attacks, whether verbal or physical, by either Staff or Customers.

No doubt someone more experienced like Loki can give you better advice, but mine would be to speak to your Rep, Line/Section Manager and your PM. If necessary, make an appointment to see your GP; if anyone is stupid enough to accuse you of, "working your ticket", refer them to the Doctor.

flimb

If the attack has affected you so much, which I have no doubt it has, then you should definitely speak to your doctor and your PM about getting support and just how much the incident has affected you. The former should be able to offer help even if the latter is a bit useless.

Perhaps also speak to your union rep about what help the union can give you with regards to policy on the matter and getting the PM to support you.

braveryshark

Were there any witnesses to this attack mini?

Jordan2510

Yes the whole store, braveryshark.
I went to my GP yesterday and he suggested 5 days off on the sick but I cannot afford to take 5 days off financially.
He said that would be self certified.
I have a meeting with police today and I hope to catch my LM and PM today.

I'm dreading going in to work.

fargone

Jordan2510

I wish that was the case.
But the area that my store is situated in is somewhere to be feared.

terror pin

A member of staff has threatened and abused another member of staff. The one making the threats was allowed to continue working, whereas the person reporting was suspended for an extended period of time. Perhaps for their own protection, not sure.

The threatening member of staff is now under the impression that they cannot have any action taken against them as they weren't suspended in the first place, but has refused to work with the person who reported them and has said that they will walk out if forced to.

Q1 Can it be considered as gross misconduct weeks after reporting, leading to suspension and potential dismissal or move of store?

Q2 Can a move or dismissal be given if appropriate without suspension?

Jordan2510

So I spoke to my LM about this and they wasn't really bothered.
Tried talking to PM yet they replied "I'm very busy."
When talking to LM they said something along the lines of "you've just got to get over it". Easier said than done I'm afraid.

preditor

Well let me tell you what happed in the Midddlesbrough D.C . A couple of months ago a Mike Tyson wannabe ( I call him that because he has that daft tattoo on his face ) crabbed hold of another lad in his team 5 meeting by the his T shirt round his neck and threaten him but his mangaer didnt see it but everyone else did in the team and when the lad reported it  Mike Tyson got away with it .

Loki

VladPutin

Quote from: MiniMonster on 10-05-13, 08:58AM
So I spoke to my LM about this and they wasn't really bothered.
Tried talking to PM yet they replied "I'm very busy."
When talking to LM they said something along the lines of "you've just got to get over it". Easier said than done I'm afraid.

Speak to your Rep. Loki, feel free to correct me, but doesn't MiniMonster have grounds for a grievance because his LM and PM are failing in their duty of care? I was under the impression that, while they are on duty, Tesco has a responsibility to protect staff against unprovoked attack, bullying etc.

So your PM is, "too busy" to discuss an incident that has left you traumatized and resulted in a police investigation? I'd like to say I'm shocked but, in 13 years, I've yet to meet a PM who wasn't a complete waste of space. 8-)

tescopleb

If Mini Monster had been a customer then I'm pretty sure the store would have been interested - as a member of staff don't accept anything less; we have as much right not to be assaulted verbally or otherwise than they do.

Jordan2510

They didn't really take my trauma very seriously whatsoever.

I'm still shook up by it.

I have a union rep at my store but they're about as useful as a third t!t.
No offence to other reps as I'm sure they're excellent at what they do. But well, this one doesn't know a lot.

PM looked straight at me the other day and walked straight by.

Seanmclude

Out of curiosity do your stores staff who have to do final reductions bombarded with customers pushing and grabbing items out of their hands?  It's awful seeing people everyday wait for final reductions person to come to the shelf and near enough pysically abuse the reduction person. Credit to my store though one duty manager stands next to the person and anyone who shoves, shouts or gets lairy  is dealt with appropriately.

Whats it like in other stores?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk