News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:55PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 271
Total: 273

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pissedoffemployee

I recently had an attack on me, by gang of usual problem teens/young adults.  got hit in face with fire extinguisher lost one tooth, one also loose, which i will have to lose soon.  and a few other injuries.  all because i came to aid of of night manager and security guard.  I've been informed tesco wont entertain any compensation as there was a manager and security guard there.  however counting the number of individuals on cctv (27). it was a good thing i and a couple other staff intervened.

Its not the first assualt I've had.  i just wish tesco would take seriously the amount of physical and verbal abuse most staff have to take, especially late workers and front end staff.

I've been told by my union that i may get something from the gov.  but it just irks me that i havent even had a call asking how i am, except one asking me when i will be back at work.

[admin]I have emailed you regarding your username. Nomad[/admin]

tumshie

that sounds horrendous, disgruntledemployee.

maybe we'll get disgruntledsecurityguard and disgruntledtmanager on here soon, too, when they realise that they'll be on their own in future.

(and welcome to VLH)

[gmod] Changed to reflect the change of disgruntled employees new user name. Anne. (got wrist ache from typing disgruntled so many times in one post! :D :D)[/gmod]

l8r

employee

I'd be looking to take that further. Of course I don't lnow the detail but the outcome for you has been serious and mm trying to wash their hands of it.

What happened? Can you show your behaviour to be defensive ?

Clearly, you would be expected to go to the aid of colleagues needing support. If you were then attacked ......

Look into it.

Anne

Disgruntled, welcome to VLH.

I hope you recover from your injuries soon. Nobody should ever be made to feel as though they are in the wroong in your situation. had you and your colleagues not stepped in, the guard and manager may well have been very seriously attacked. They should be thanking you.

l8r

lol.

I know its NOT funny so why can't I help laughing that p****doffemployee had been downgraded slightly ...

smitaly69

After reading this it reminds me of our store where the cashiers and security staff get s*** all the time from the same group of young thugs,the store manager gets security to throw them out but theyre allowed back in the next day because the company needs their money,i find it all so pathetic,they just dont care about their staff.

ilosecrumpets

Quote from: Loki on 16-06-12, 08:41PM
Do Tesco, in general, provide adequate Security so as to protect staff from being attacked?

Should Tesco ONLY provide Security via the hiring through professional Security Firms?

1: We have eight guards. Five if you remove the useless ones. Don't hear about much aggression towards staff, just towards the guards who are actually quite proactive. Unfortunately no-one protects them.

2: No. The agency guards are absolutely useless, and in my experience not trustworthy - although there have been a few Tesco guards who have turned out to be less than trust worthy.

Off topic (slightly): How many stores operate that the Duty Manager should be the person to stop and detain shoplifters? How many don't?

HeadOfficeElf

Anyone remember Fine Fare? I used to use a shopping trolley and push it across town with the daily takings and bank it. Never had a problem and everyone knew what I was doing. I suppose on a good day I had £8-9 thousand in change. Notes we kept in the safe. This was before credit cards.

I remember then going to work at another store near the city and I did my job, cashed up and was about to go and bank it when the GA looked horrified at me and told me to see the store manager.

The store manager said he'd better do it and he'd take his car. I didn't see the manager again that day until I left later. I was mighty upset too as I was lumbered in locking up. I didn't get paid for the time it took to lockup.

When I got to the back of store carpark, I found the manager in a pool of blood. He had been beaten up badly and the cash had been nicked.

We all assumed we knew who had done it as a group of kids spent days on the slot machines opposite the store trying to spend the change.

Sorry to go off topic, but was just a story.

I never did the cash run again though.

Happy Hitman

Quote from: olly0170 on 25-11-07, 02:02AM
Recently asked youth for id for cigs. got verbally abused and then he threw his lucazade bottle at me (missed). Next day he came in again and I refused to serve him but another cashier did but with no cigs. Last week he was asked again for id and he went mad in front of a load of customers (men included) and not one man said a thing.
Security were called and he is now banned.

Should have called the police, this is an assault and not tolerated

Happy Hitman

Quote from: TescoCommando on 16-06-12, 05:28PM
Quote from: Yin Yang on 16-06-12, 11:33AM
Martial Arts didn't help Bruce Lee or his Son, Besides if it can be shown you are compitant at it you would be expected to show restraint or reasonable force in defending yourself very often just because you can means you shouldn't.

Which is exactly why I refuse to help tackle shoplifters. If I hurt them - and I probably will because it's difficult to restrain someone who is trying to escape or attack you without hurting them, especially if they are under the influence of drugs or booze - Plod are going to come down on me like a ton of rectangular building things.

It should be remembered that lawyers, judges and most police couldn't fight their way out of the proverbial wet paper bag and have no idea just how scary and ugly real violence is. 8-)
I wish i could upload a section of CCTV of me stopping two lifters in an Oxford Metro, violence like you have never seen, all reasonable within the circumstances and definitely allowed, if a crime is being committed against you, the judge will always be on your side, as long as you are reasonable.

bubbleface

Often help out with break cover on the CSD. i could have a massive list in a week of verbal abuse towards the staff on that dept. i do not know how they keep their cool sometimes!!
being sworn at, aggressive behaviour etc. is all very common.

Looking back at the joys of last Xmas... i was called "an ignorant little bitch" because we had sold out of kindles :/

Mr hard grafter

I work nights and was walking out the entrance/exit as my break had just started when a  seiner manager asked for my assistance to detain a a shop lifter ! As I approached the shop lifter he spat at me so naturally I grabbed his head and held it to the floor so he couldn't get any one else ! 10 minuets in and waiting for the police to arrive the sieoner manger terms to me and says u do relise this is coming out of your break time ! Wtf a man in his position he should not be acting like 1 of the lads! Any way police come and go then come back again an hour or so later for a statement so there's me sat telling them what's what and who's who when manager rudeley interrupts the statement I was giving to help get this guy done, and states that I need to get back to work hurry up ! The police was shocked and so was I that he couldn't give a f*** about the welfare of his staff ! So any way I continued to give my statement and 2 min later it was that lazy sienior manager again " u need to get back to work so then I stopped the statement there and then signd the thing, the robber got let off in court coz he has a Herrion problem  ! I'm not impressed as I didn't even get a value award for my helpfulness ! And I now hate my sienior manager for being an idiot !

HeadOfficeElf

Hard Grafter, your senior manager is an idiot. Don't let him stop you from doing a great job.

novaguard12

Early last year, some customers (I assume where travellers) were caught shoplifting. When security approached them, they (travellers) threatened them and said they had AIDS and if they touched 'em, they'd spit at 'em. Dirty lot, and unfortunately, security let them go :/

Seanmclude

Is it true about the rumours we've heard down south... A store "Enfield" was looted this week? Unless its a new ruse by management for us to keep on our toes..

Nomad

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/christine-crow-grandma-banned-from-tesco-1569682

Quote"Banned for bullying staff": Grandma, 83, thrown out of Tesco for alleged trolley rage
1 Feb 2013 21:00

One shelfstacker was said to be so scared of the 83-year-old they refused to go on the shop floor while the OAP prowled the aisles

OAP, Overly Aggressive Person  :o
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

canaryman

A driver in our store had someone get out of their car and  threatened them and very abusive. The guy was getting really worked up and in the end the Tesco driver just told him to p**s off and get back in his car.
The guy did get back in his car, and went and complained that the driver had told him to p**s off to the store manager who in turn wanted the driver to be given a final written warning for his behaviour!
It seems keeping potential customers is more important than what happens to the staff!

happyreturns

I understand that it seems unfair,but he did tell someone to p**s off whilst,I am assuming, in a Tesco vehicle, bringing the company  name into disrepute, so a written warning seems correct.
Why did he not just ignor the driver, in that way he keeps his dignity and avoids a warning.
Ignorant people who rant and rave at other drivers are a mennis  but ignoring them is the best treatment and makes them annoyed that others don't retaliate.

keithwill73

security and managers job to detain shoplifters not g a s, And you are correct save the companys name sod the staff.

tumshie

"makes them annoyed that others don't retaliate." (quote from happyreturns)

getting them more annoyed doesn't seem like a very good move.

happyreturns

Quote from: tumshie on 04-03-13, 07:09PM

Nor does telling them to p**s off whilst in a company vehicle.

canaryman

Quote from: happyreturns on 04-03-13, 03:31PM
I understand that it seems unfair,but he did tell someone to p**s off whilst,I am assuming, in a Tesco vehicle, bringing the company  name into disrepute, so a written warning seems correct.
Once that driver had gotten out of his car he was commiting a criminal offence and also isnt there anything about protecting employees from verbal abuse?

happyreturns

If he has committed  an offence surely that's the job of the police not the company, yes the company should protect employees against verbal abuse however if verbal abuse is committed by the employee as well (I E telling him to p**s off)I think that sort of makes him also responsible, so as I have said before, if you do not reply to these sort of drivers then that is the best reaction.

tumshie

Quote from: happyreturns on 04-03-13, 08:22PM
Quote from: tumshie on 04-03-13, 07:09PM

Nor does telling them to p**s off whilst in a company vehicle.

it doesn't, but you are not being helpful by suggesting another way to annoy the guy.

(sorry, the quote facility doesn't seem to be working for me) [admin]Fixed. Nomad[/admin]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk