News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:49PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 298
Total: 301

colleague shop (CS)

Started by dfl, 17-05-23, 09:52PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

Does anyone know why the colleague shop is open fully to olio coming in and getting all the reductions for free - Before the colleagues are allowed any, I can understand some of the reasons but surely "look after your staff and they........" would be appropriate here, in my store olio can take the whole lot from 830pm and there is very rarely anything left for staff. C'mon tesco if your going to do this then at least be honest and refrain from calling it a colleague shop anymore as clearly it no longer is !
DFL

lordadmiral

It's purely PR thing.
If you dig into retail around the globe you notice a pattern. Employees should be grateful for having a job and deserves no extra perks.

madness

there is usually 20-30 differing types of loaf and 10-20 types of vegetarian muck left over. And any nasty green veg. 

biggerpicture

Set yourself up as Olio anyone can.

gomezz

Who or what is Olio?   
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

General Thorn

olio is a food waste company that comes in at 8:30 in my store, colleague shop starts at 9.

Anyone can get free food from Olio through their app so it is not a charity. They have volunteers who come and take everything that has not sold when reduced so it does not get wasted. A great idea, but surely staff should be able to get colleague shop before they come in.

Typical Tesco, say they are helping colleagues and giving us perks but then make it impossible for us to access

dfl

General thorn my point exactly if its to be fair then it should be same time for everyone, as previous commenter just clarified too its not a charity so basically means anyone off street can register thier interest and get stuff at 830 but staff still cant if theyre at work (eg not finishing till 9)
DFL

bornfree

So do Tesco get tax relief for donating to 'charity'? I'm guessing they do which would make business sense? 'Donating' to staff won't give the same tax breaks!

londoner83

Some staff getting free food can be a emotive subject to those who miss out - giving our surplus to charity before any staff get a lookin avoids this.

For example Delia who only works mornings could be financially worse off than Jack, though because he does the lates and takes his break 9-9.30 he previously filled his freezer each night with free stuff.

I know in my store very little if anything goes thru colleague shop. Its normally just a few bunches of flowers each night.

FarmerFred

The tax relief on donating to charity is miniscule in the scheme of things for big T and it is far less than the base cost of what's been donated. There is also a saving in the cost of waste disposal.

General Thorn

I was told Tesco pay Olio per collection. Now whether this is correct I'm not sure but it would explain stories I've heard from volunteers who have been reprimanded for non collections and had to find replacements for days they could not pick up.

Discussions have been had with managers as to why colleagues can not put by items just before Olio come in and buy them at 9 but this is taking items off sale and we would be subject to gross misconduct if found out. It was pointed out that Olio take everything offsale anyway so what would be the difference but Tesco do not allow for this.

The answer was to leave items we wanted onsale but then we took the risk of someone else buying it before colleague shop kicked in.

Obviously Tesco save money by not having to pay for so much waste to be processed and also it looks good that food is not being wasted but the poor, lowly paid colleague is missing out on their colleague shop which turns out not to be for colleagues.

lucgeo

"Reprimand for volunteers"  :o if I was a volunteer they wouldn't see me again!

The problem with the staff shop is the temptation to stash aside is too great...many previous colleagues scams ruined it for all, hiding short codes coming up and then..." oh no! Look what I've just found!" It was the same when damages were wasted then sold discounted to staff or put in the staff room!
They blew it with far too many oops, butter fingers 😬

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

I don't know perhaps the volunteers get first dibs on what they have collected, perhaps saving themselves a small fortune and so would be reluctant to lose the job and the freebies even if getting 'reprimands'.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

penguin

Quote from: lucgeo on 19-05-23, 04:44PM"Reprimand for volunteers"  :o if I was a volunteer they wouldn't see me again!

The problem with the staff shop is the temptation to stash aside is too great...many previous colleagues scams ruined it for all, hiding short codes coming up and then..." oh no! Look what I've just found!" It was the same when damages were wasted then sold discounted to staff or put in the staff room!
They blew it with far too many oops, butter fingers 😬

Correct a selfish few blew it for everyone, one example I know an express store were suddenly found to be putting on cs almost 75 percent of meat and fish  that ever got scanned on job 14 (or potentials to use modern parlance) of course it was soon highlighted and traced back to a shift leader who was bullying those below her (who happened to be young new ca's on the late shift) to say nothing about her little scam, people like that spoiled it for everyone although she really spoilt everything for herself as she lost her job.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Duff McKagan

Shift leaders making off with bags full of colleague shop items is a regular occurrence in our store, they hide them in the bakery and collect them on their way out in the evening. 

lucgeo

I can only imagine it getting worse, once departments start doing their own stock control routines. A stockie will do a thorough product investigation, question the book stocks, question who put the stock back on that was wiped off yesterday but still not out, and go looking for the missing stock that is "in the back" ???

Unless it's closely monitored, then it's inevitable stock will be put aside in the little hidey holes, but it should be the manager who also takes the fall if they get caught out!

Nomad

There's 'perks' in every company, the higher you go the bigger the 'perks'.  Not saying it's right or fair, just saying.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

grim up north

We used to have sell offs in distribution, but that all stopped when people took advantage

Twinkletoes

There's a selfish guy on nights in my store who takes everything and comes in early to do so.   Wouldn't think twice at taking a dozen sandwiches.  Everyone loves when he is on holiday as they can get chance to get anything  :D

Nomad

Do unto others as they do unto you, or your colleagues.  8-)  :thumbup:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lucgeo

Quote from: Twinkletoes on 20-05-23, 02:25PMThere's a selfish guy on nights in my store who takes everything and comes in early to do so.   Wouldn't think twice at taking a dozen sandwiches.  Everyone loves when he is on holiday as they can get chance to get anything  :D

You're all as much to blame for letting him get away with it :o 
He wouldn't do in my old store, pulled up on it, named and shamed by every colleague on his shift!
Greedy barstool  :-X

oldfashionedplayer

If they are taking everything it comes under the policy, as staff are supposed to leave some for others.

biggerpicture

Where does it say in the policy please? I'm looking for this information

Dakota

Different policy in my store. All the reduced chilled products are taken off sale just before 9pm and then recorded as waste and bagged/boxed to be returned to the depot.
Ambient products that are not collected by the local food bank go in the canteen just prior to 10pm having been rescanned and stickered as colleague shop Price: Free.

dembow

Quote from: biggerpicture on 22-05-23, 09:18PMWhere does it say in the policy please? I'm looking for this information

You can find the policy by searching for "Colleague Shop Policy" on the ourtesco website.

Here is the part that mentions someone taking everything:

Quote from: ourtesco websiteThe following are examples of behaviors that are not within the colleague shop policy and could lead to a misconduct investigation:

• Damaging a product on purpose to acquire it for free.
  • Not putting a product on sale when it is reduced to clear, preventing customers from making a purchase.
  • Hiding a product in chillers and back of house.
  • A single colleague taking all products and preventing others from buying it.
  • Peeling off Colleague Shop stickers and applying these to other products.
  • Opening the Colleague Shop early before donating to a charity.
  • Placing Colleague Shop products into your trolley for an excessive amount of time prior to store closure.
  • Using your Clubcard to purchase products for colleagues who don't have a Clubcard.
  • Reducing an item not on today's expiry date.
  • Selecting Colleague Shop items and processing through the till with your Clubcard or via the PDA and then placing them into a bin.
  • Purchasing colleague shop items free of charge to be used in another business
  • Manually reducing items before their last day of code and taking them for free
  • During a Colleague search, a product is found, and you have no till receipt and the yellow colleague shop sticker does not match the product

Remember, products purchased should be for personal use only. If any colleagues or additional cardholders are found to be doing any of the above, an investigation will take place in line with our misconduct guidelines.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk