News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

03-12-22, 12:07AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 31,509
  • Total Topics: 580
  • Online today: 86
  • Online ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 58
Total: 61

BWS H&B and Frozen moving to days?

Started by btblackbird, 16-08-21, 09:24AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmay

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 07-07-22, 09:46PMIs that a fact?or guesstimate

I strongly believe it is fact.Already in my store we became an express from metro.At the mod busiest time we received delivery which was christmas eve at that time we managed to finished the work and fill. If we can do that at the busiest time of the year in the morning and evening than we can do it on regular days.

Bobmay

#76
Quote from: Redshoes on 25-08-22, 07:28AMRedundancy is way down the line. It's not going to be offered in the way it was in the past. Stores will only be able to offer new shifts and possible changes to primary dept. To get redundancy you will have to go through a long process of not being able to move hours. The store will have to send off paperwork and each case will be looked at on an individual basis. Many people took redundancy and left but came back as soon as they could. They are doing everything to prevent this from happening again.

I don't know about large stores however in my express store.  We already have 13 people in the night shift in total including night manager and 1 shift leader.  I strongly believe they will remove night shift from this store.  They pressured over 5 colleagues to leave a few months back.  Just the couple of weeks over 6 people have left night shift with only 13 people left including shift leader and manager.  On top of that we are already struggling in the night however the manager has wanted me to move to days and evenings which makes no sense considering we are struggling in the nights.  I have been told changes are coming this September.

Sherwoodforest

#77
I personally wouldn't move to days because some manager asked, seems underhand to be honest.

Bobmay

#78
Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).  .Admin.

I believe they want to do so so they don't pay redundancy. There only 13 people in night in my store which has become an express from metro.  With two people Tesco don't need to worry about for redundancy. Which leaves 11 people left with each one making about 15k in redundancy maximum will cost Tesco 165,000 which they can save in cost easily.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Bobmay on 25-08-22, 07:00AM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 24-03-22, 07:41PMTesco is a sinking ship, if the degradation in pay and conditions hasn't been indicative of such in the past 8 years then the coming cuts and p**s taking will be, best jump ship while you all can, Everywhere but Icelands pays more atm.

If cuts are coming than you might as well stay.Take the redundancy than leave.

Don't know how long you've been at Tesco, but for the past few iterations of "soft structure" changes, redundancy hasn't been offered, the FSM debacle shows the lengths that they will go to to not pay it, they'd rather keep managers in non-existant roles rather than pay them out.

Bobmay

Quote from: NightAndDay on 26-08-22, 11:57AM
Quote from: Bobmay on 25-08-22, 07:00AM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 24-03-22, 07:41PMTesco is a sinking ship, if the degradation in pay and conditions hasn't been indicative of such in the past 8 years then the coming cuts and p**s taking will be, best jump ship while you all can, Everywhere but Icelands pays more atm.

If cuts are coming than you might as well stay.Take the redundancy than leave.

Don't know how long you've been at Tesco, but for the past few iterations of "soft structure" changes, redundancy hasn't been offered, the FSM debacle shows the lengths that they will go to to not pay it, they'd rather keep managers in non-existant roles rather than pay them out.

The amount of money they will pay out is large but what is also large is the amount of money they can save in thr millions. Tesco is moving towards shift leader pay instead of managers. They will be having only store managers

Voulezvous

Quote from: Redshoes on 25-08-22, 07:28AMRedundancy is way down the line. It's not going to be offered in the way it was in the past. Stores will only be able to offer new shifts and possible changes to primary dept. To get redundancy you will have to go through a long process of not being able to move hours. The store will have to send off paperwork and each case will be looked at on an individual basis. Many people took redundancy and left but came back as soon as they could. They are doing everything to prevent this from happening again.
Asking a colleague to move from nights to days isn't a reasonable change so redundancy would need to be offered, info on the yougov website, im hoping to get my redundancy at some point, sooner the better.

NightAndDay

True, but Tesco are experts at dragging things out, they will keep people in non-existent roles for years before paying redundo to the point where potential extra pay elsewhere may outweigh the time wasted holding out for redundancy.

Nomad

But those 'non-existent roles' would have to be on nights.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Sherwoodforest

The thing with redundancies,no company would want to say were making 10,000 people redundant,when youve been through covid,got high profit results,so its easier to stagger them offer alternate roles,but the nature of the beast is everytime a competitor builds a new store it dilutes the market,costs have to be cut somewere

Redshoes

I think if they do anything it will be by role. They removed compliance and personnel managers to start with and then moved to fresh stock control and services managers. I have heard talk of clothing, gm and pfs managers in the extra stores but it seems to depend on the individual stores.
There are still senior team in the company. They are no longer part of the new structure. They are being moved towards taking on different projects and being developed into store managers, but we still have them.
Managers are now just team managers. They have a primary area to be accountable but they are just team managers. As such they can be moved, so if a manager leaves a store things are adjusted for the manager to take on additional tasks so the store gets closer and closer to structure. This contradicts my opening sentence about removing by role but it just means that it's deemed that one manager can oversea a bigger area and it can be very different areas.

Sherwoodforest

Im in extra,we have no pfs,or clothing manager now,gm combined with clothing and pfs,services with checkouts

newguy20

Quote from: Redshoes on 27-08-22, 03:41AMI think if they do anything it will be by role. They removed compliance and personnel managers to start with and then moved to fresh stock control and services managers. I have heard talk of clothing, gm and pfs managers in the extra stores but it seems to depend on the individual stores.
There are still senior team in the company. They are no longer part of the new structure. They are being moved towards taking on different projects and being developed into store managers, but we still have them.
Managers are now just team managers. They have a primary area to be accountable but they are just team managers. As such they can be moved, so if a manager leaves a store things are adjusted for the manager to take on additional tasks so the store gets closer and closer to structure. This contradicts my opening sentence about removing by role but it just means that it's deemed that one manager can oversea a bigger area and it can be very different areas.

What I don't understand is that we have had a number of managers leave since this new system come in, however, they have all been replaced. The only losses we have had from our structure were bakery merged with counters, and PFS merged with services.

We have run with 'one too few' or 'one too many' managers for a short period of time whilst waiting for people to transfer to/from elsewhere. However in the last 3 months we have had 3 managers leave all of whom were replaced, 1 was a lead manager who has been replaced with another lead.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Nomad on 26-08-22, 09:07PMBut those 'non-existent roles' would have to be on nights.
Legally that's true, but a lot of what I've seen by Tesco assumes the affected have no legal knowledge, they try and "buy them out" with things like protected pay which would be much less than redundancy. Or drag out a process for so long that the affected just leave for another job.

Redshoes

Quote from: newguy20 on 27-08-22, 10:59PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 27-08-22, 03:41AMI think if they do anything it will be by role. They removed compliance and personnel managers to start with and then moved to fresh stock control and services managers. I have heard talk of clothing, gm and pfs managers in the extra stores but it seems to depend on the individual stores.
There are still senior team in the company. They are no longer part of the new structure. They are being moved towards taking on different projects and being developed into store managers, but we still have them.
Managers are now just team managers. They have a primary area to be accountable but they are just team managers. As such they can be moved, so if a manager leaves a store things are adjusted for the manager to take on additional tasks so the store gets closer and closer to structure. This contradicts my opening sentence about removing by role but it just means that it's deemed that one manager can oversea a bigger area and it can be very different areas.

What I don't understand is that we have had a number of managers leave since this new system come in, however, they have all been replaced. The only losses we have had from our structure were bakery merged with counters, and PFS merged with services.

We have run with 'one too few' or 'one too many' managers for a short period of time whilst waiting for people to transfer to/from elsewhere. However in the last 3 months we have had 3 managers leave all of whom were replaced, 1 was a lead manager who has been replaced with another lead.

Might be that your store is at structure now or it might be that there are stores in your group way over but people are willing to move.

Bobmay

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 25-08-22, 12:45PMI personally wouldn't move to days because some manager asked, seems underhand to be honest.

The days is more stressful. If they do end up changing the times I will take redundancy and leave.I advised everyone to do the same.

Bobmay

Quote from: Voulezvous on 26-08-22, 06:39PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 25-08-22, 07:28AMRedundancy is way down the line. It's not going to be offered in the way it was in the past. Stores will only be able to offer new shifts and possible changes to primary dept. To get redundancy you will have to go through a long process of not being able to move hours. The store will have to send off paperwork and each case will be looked at on an individual basis. Many people took redundancy and left but came back as soon as they could. They are doing everything to prevent this from happening again.
Asking a colleague to move from nights to days isn't a reasonable change so redundancy would need to be offered, info on the yougov website, im hoping to get my redundancy at some point, sooner the better.

You signed an contract with Tesco they have to keep by it.If they do change the hours or remove nights they will offer redundancy. I advise you to take the money and look for better job outside of supermarkets in general.Before supermarket jobs were easy now they are stressful with less staff more workload.

Bobmay

#92
Quote from: NightAndDay on 26-08-22, 07:48PMTrue, but Tesco are experts at dragging things out, they will keep people in non-existent roles for years before paying redundo to the point where potential extra pay elsewhere may outweigh the time wasted holding out for redundancy.

Already in the Tesco I work they removed tons of people by putting to much pressure on them which forced many long servicing staff to leave.  So the remaining staff they can choose whether or not to take the redundancy.

Bobmay

#93
Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 26-08-22, 09:24PMThe thing with redundancies,no company would want to say were making 10,000 people redundant,when you've been through Covid,got high profit results,so its easier to stagger them offer alternate roles,but the nature of the beast is every time a competitor builds a new store it dilutes the market,costs have to be cut somewhere

Companies are there to make profits they don't care about redundancies.  Tesco is sinking ship if you want to stay and work at a place with to much stress and low pay that's up to you.  I would advise you to take the money and save it or invest it and find an better job outside of supermarkets.  Supermarkets are known stress and you do the job of not 1 person but 3 to four people.

Bobmay

#94
Quote from: NightAndDay on 27-08-22, 11:41PM
Quote from: Nomad on 26-08-22, 09:07PMBut those 'non-existent roles' would have to be on nights.
Legally that's true, but a lot of what I've seen by Tesco assumes the affected have no legal knowledge, they try and "buy them out" with things like protected pay which would be much less than redundancy. Or drag out a process for so long that the affected just leave for another job.

Now with the pandemic and cost of living Tesco can't drag it out.  People are spending far less in Tesco especially in express stores.  It is only an matter of time before Tesco removes night shift especially from the remaining express stores, as for protected pay it is better to take redundancy and take some time off on holiday and then find another job elsewhere.

Nightproduceworker

All you have to do is put two and two together, it came out in April that Tesco are changing their structure to accommodate the shopping behaviour of customers, they are slowly and surly removing nights! That's the plan, it saves on the long run for premium pay ect. Also put into account the full timers that are still there, our extra store we have about 7/8 full timers left on nights. It's also the old contract people are on that can go sick for a day and still get paid.

That will eventually go, either through as retirement or staff leave due to age/injury no longer want to work there or being sacked.

September/October you may get some more news which is when the energy bill rises, changes may not be made but be warned that after Christmas it will.

This new contract we are on only lasts a year, along with the new training (everyone) can fill, dot.com ect is just another example for Tesco's structure change to days/twilight.

Just look at the staff clothing, all blue now so everyone is the same.

Yes our store people have left and not replaced, I believe some managers played a part without playing a part, just staff being unhappy and left and that's what Tesco want.

Bws,frozen and non food moved to days, but we are getting bws and frozen back due to days can't handle it, now this is store specific not company specific. I'd say if your keeping nights till Christmas it's probably a good idea as we are light ATM and sometimes twiggling are thumbs the last half hour what to do unless you have 15 warburons come in.

We only have 1 lead manager and 2 night managers now aswell, staff I'd say between 20 and 30 on nights.

I guarantee redundancy will happen for any full timers left, part timers maybe a process depending on the nature of the hours they can do. But zero contract hours and part time hours they want staff to do now, full timers will get offered redundancy or a partial and move hours.



Bobmay

#96
Post deleted, Do NOT quote immediately prior post.  .Admin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk